New AMD "Enthusiast" CPU's? Poll

I said it. I don't know what salary you have but 500 - 700 USD for motherboard is really high price tag for my standards. Plus those are server grade boards. They may not fit into your case. The screw holes may be at different locations. And I would really like to know where can i buy aftermarket coolers for G34 socket. Who wants to use stock coolers, they are awful.

Although I remember one guy who built Opteron rig for folding@home. But the retailer gave him all those parts as a form of donation. He then made custom case with custom water cooling. Unfortunately I don't have his crafting skills so i can't do it.

This is it. Opteron Prime build

LOL 90% of the cost is the motherboards and CPUs, just buy some random ass 8GB 1600 ECC dimms, 1 per CPU socket and throw in a pre-existing PCI-e x16 slot graphics card into a 2U case or a used SWTX case with some random 3.5" HDD and an SSD boot drive. Honestly those 95W 8 core CPUs won't cause your stock G34 HSF's to get that loud at all. You could potentially build a quad socket 8 core opteron build for the same money as a standard $1,000 gaming rig if you shop around. Come on man, you can't pull this "cheapass" build bullshit. You are shopping for parts that will last an average consumer 10 years or more, most corporations throw this stuff away or sell it for dirt cheap after 3-5 years of use in an enterprise 24/7 operation setting and there is absolutely nothing wrong with the hardware.

They are working on ZEN apu´s and cpu´s.
Wenn they will be out? no one knows.

Can fold proteins, but can't upload images properly. >.<

1 Like

I hope to see some improvements on ipc for the sake of the gaming market. However I would be equally interested in what they will bring as far as the server market goes. I'd really like to set up a 4 chip server board. If I could get 32 cores for under $1500 id would go for it really quick.

The offffficial statement is that AMD's roadmap stays unchanged, Zen is to be released in 2016 with full year income in 2017... Meaning sometime autumn 2016... Even winter would not surprise me...

The other offffficial statement is, the highest end consumer grade will be 16 cores, 32 threads... Dual chip board and you are set... Now for the 1500$... Uuughhh... I don't think so... Judging by FuryX, they would want their premium...

yes i know, but i also know AMD long enough to not fully trust on their roadmaps.

Huh?

You don't need that, you can just scale multiple cheap mobos. Mobos for FX8350 cost as little as 50 EUR a piece, FX8350's themselves are 125 EUR, that makes a mobo+CPU combo cheaper than only an Intel CPU. DDR3 memory is cheap, cooling also.

Just keep stacking them boards... a single Intel core performs about 50% better than a single AMD core running at the same frequency. So 16 FX8350 cores offer the same, but often better scaled due to shorter pipelines and better load balancing due to more cores, performance as just shy of 11 Intel cores running at the same frequency. Even if hyperthreading would offer the same benefit as extra physical cores, which it doesn't, then 400 bucks worth of AMD CPU+mobo+cooling would get you the same performance as 400 bucks worth of Intel CPU alone without mobo and cooling, except that Intel doesn't make a single CPU with that performance, they stop at about 2/3 of that.

So if you don't need per core performance (which only happens if you run archaic software to be honest, software that still lives in the 1990's), then you can still buy about a third more performance per dollar from AMD.

Well i would personaly not trow a FX8350 on a 50 buck mobo.
But thats just me.

Terve!
I'm not shure if my numbers ar worth anything, but I'll tell you anyway:
When I test CPU Overclocking I use Intel Burn test. There is a number called "GFlops" which is to my understanding the raw speed of the CPU. A Stock 4770k has about 110 GFlops. An FX 8350 at 5GHz has about 40 GFlpos.
If we now get a CPU that is 50% faster that would mean that you have 60 GFlops, or still about 25% as much as the i7 (per core).
Again, I have no idea how accurate the numbers are. But I hope that I am wrong and I can upgrade my PC with some sweet AMD CPU/GPU stuff.
Sayonara!

If the 16 cores in Zen would work together to be 4 cores, that would be great for gaming. For work tasks (what I expected Zen to be focused on) 16 core CPU are nothing new, so software is allready out there to make use of that.
For now, we should stop the hype train and wait for what to come.

1 Like

Well I get it, AMD giving you more performance per unit of currency than Intel is not news to me. But i have no clue how to stack them boards. I know that you connect them together with ethernet cable and that's it. Would that even work with windose?

Fucking stole my joke... :P

I'm just waiting for HBM on die APUs so I can go with a GPUless tiny system

But really they need to whip out showing some kind of working prototype to build some hype or something

We need to see what AMD does with their next GPU line-up before we cross that bridge. If they are able to source enough HBM or HBM 2, there is a high probability that this might happen as Zen is supposed to be 14nm architecture. Meaning they can make the CPU die much smaller per core size.

There is a full year until release... May be more... It's a bit early for that kind of thing...
I believe I red somewhere, that the core architecture is done already and now they are just tweaking stuff and sending samples and chipsets and stuff to board partners for rnd of the motherboards or something... I red somewhere the usual schedule of how normally those things go... Motherboards, OEM system builders like Dell, HP, etc, and then consumer lunch... Launch... I know one of them is release, the other one is having food in the middle of the day... And there is Lounge, that means completely different thing and sound similar... Damn you English language...

1 Like

Isn't GTX 1000 series postponed for 2017? Or am I wrong?
What amd usually do is 1-st gen is bad, second gen is better. Meaning 290 and 390 for example... 5800k and 6800k.. FX6100 and FX6300...
So 400 series gives me hope for much better performance... Especially considering what they did with Hawaii core In 390X...

Nvidia's plans are to go with GDDR5X, probably because AMD has something up their sleeve and bought up a lot of hardware before Nvidia could get their paws on it. Complete speculation of course, but it seems to be more believable as we keep hearing more and more down the tech news grapevine.

It's not speculation. I am believing the rumors about skhynix giving amd priority when it comes to hbm... After all, AMD has been known to innovate as fuck, and that is what have brought them to the current situation.
I don't really think FuryX is a flop. I just think that the software does not utilize it properly. The same way software didn't utilized properly 6 and 8 cores at the time... And people, that really needed high multithreding are the one that kept AMD alive when it comes to CPUs, because like it or not, even 6300 beats i5 sometimes when it comes to multithreaded apps... Like editing and rendering. Not to mention the cheaper than i5 8350...
Now that Intel finally released 8core consumer grade chip, AMD started to look at HSA, which allows 7850 to outperform 4690, but again, no software supports HSA. Same with Mantle... It was good, only EA and Squenix supported it...

Looking forward to 8-core consumer range CPU's. It only has to be almost as fast as my current Haswell per core, I don't mind if it loses slightly in some benchmarks. I want eight cores with or without "hyperthreading" as an added bonus. I'm prepared to pay handsomely for a good AMD part in late 2016 or early 2017 if that's where we end up.

Maybe the Zen based APU's can finally give some meaning to DDR4, which will also have become quite inexpensive by then. And if so, maybe even win some OEM contracts. TDP will likely be the most important factor there.

1 Like