New 3rd Gen Threadripper TRX40 motherboard talk & VRM list

Ah, my mistake, I meant what I said but had a mismatch between the 18 core i9 and 28 core Xeon in my head, sorry. AMD were comparing on price which is equal to the 9980xe. Don’t know about how it does against the Xeon.

Hopefully someone will do benchmarks against it but ThreadRipper like the i9’s are consumer parts. So it maybe that the Xeon goes against the EPYC equivalent in benchmarks if anyone does one for them.

yeah we should wait but my guess is 3970x gonna win cause it had higher ipc, higher clock speed, and 4 extra core. also its cheaper too

With the high prices and the fan cooled VRMs (hate those, little fans are always the loudest, first to get clogged and can’t be replaced because they are non-standard) it’s looking a bit marginal.

There will presumably be a sale of x399 boards and CPUs too, so they are likely to look very attractive if you aren’t too worried about upgrading later. Considering I’m still on a 2700k from 2012 I’m not worried about it being dead.

1 Like

I hope you’re right. That said I hope we won’t need to wait for them too long. I mean there’s x399 actual server motherboard from ASRock RACK with IPMI and all server goodies but it’s been released not so long ago (May/June?). https://www.asrockrack.com/general/productdetail.asp?Model=X399D8A-2T#Specifications

ASRock was the only company who actually made serious workstation / server boards for x399 so I really count on them this time as well. But it’d be nice to get them like… more than 3 months before TR 4000 release xD

2 Likes

I think that’s exactly what is being pushed for by AMD by having tiers of TR3000 motherboards. So instead of the vendors deciding what sort of mother board to make they now have a “low end” 40 class, a "high end 80 class and then an all serious 80 class.

I wonder if there would be an agreement that they have to make one of each if they are to support the platform at all. Rather than just being able to shoose to make the low end ones and not bother with the higher and workstation ones.

I’ve also looked at all the boards, and am quite disappointed. I am fairly happy having 4 two-space x8/16 slots, but no utility slots stinks. I have an Asrock & Asus X399 board, and they are full of utility slots, can still run 3 nvme, and have 4 well spaced x16/x8/16/8(4) slots, which means, I can easily run 3 VFIO setup with 2 extra usb cards, so each VM gets it’s own full usb / full GPU. This seems to not be really possible with the new platform, which is a bit sad. Considering going down to 3950X with only two VMs, but would also lose a lot of sweet nvme.

1 Like

I added the Msi TRX40 Creator vrm spec’s to the list above.
I will also add Asrock and Asus boards soon.

1 Like

My Zenith II Extreme just arrived. Still debating if I want to upgrade from my 2990WX to a 3970X. I know the 64-core is coming, but I absolutely have no business buying a 64-core chip. All my work is done at the job, and I rarely get the chance to build stuff on it.

One thing to point out about the TRX40 Aorus Xtreme is that it’s an XL-ATX board, so it might not fit in your case. I can barely fit my EATX in my Define R6. So that board is a no-go for me.

Umm it’s creator trx40 not trx40 Creator

1 Like

Ah well i blame Msi for steeling Asrock’s board names. :stuck_out_tongue:

@PhaseLockedLoop vrm list updated.

I’m still looking for a highres pic of the backside of the taichi.
To make sure if it either is using ISL6617 doublers,
or that Asrock does the same thing as Asus by just double the amount of components,
per phase and run it in parallel.

Danke. stront! je doet goed werk. :ok_hand:

I haven’t followed enough but it seems your vacation time is already helping. Haha. I’m excited for this gen threadripper. It’s got a lot of promise

Thats not a cool word, cause that stinks :stuck_out_tongue:

Google translate :joy: I said holy crap and that’s what it gave me :sob:

As if I know Dutch :grin::ok_hand:. I suppose it gave me the word for excriment instead of the cuss words huh @MisteryAngel

1 Like

Lol yup. :laughing:

Google translate is just Pferdescheiße

:joy: Anyways good stuff I wish I had the money for the GIGABYTE TRX40 Aorus Master … it would be my board of choice … is there a full coverage monoblock available for that? We should research which ones have one for the enthusiasts around here.

1 Like

It is

1 Like

Why would you want a monoblock? Those perform worse than CPU blocks, and the VRMs don’t need active cooling on GB’s high end boards. You’re much better off with a proper CPU block, like a Watercool HeatKiller TR4-Pro (which works on X399 and the new gen, since the CPU mounts didn’t change).

I can tell you from personal experience, monoblocks suck, even supposedly ‘good’ ones. You’ll lose 5C (or more) in performance. Especially EK monoblocks, those are junk. They look pretty, but suck from a performance perspective.

1 Like

I’m not so sure your correct about losing performance but I’ll say your right that it’s not needed. I’m just a water cooling enthusiast and being able to stabilize everything to my water temperatures and cool ever component has always been a dream of mine for the Lolz… money is no issue

If I could separate vrm and CPU cooling I would haha. My dream is a near zero airflow case and all of the heat is transported via water out of the desk case to a big set of radiators lol

1 Like

The performance loss is real, that’s not anecdotal. I’ve seen it. But it could also be because EK makes very over-rated products. My AM4 HeatKiller CPU block outperforms an EK monoblock, on an X470 rig, by almost 5-8 degrees celsius, with everything else being equal. But Watercool and EK are not on the same level, Watercool products are designed better, so that might explain a good chunk of the performance difference. Trust me, I don’t like it anymore than you do, since I really love the look of monoblocks. But the performance is not there. Not to mention that if you pick your board properly, VRM cooling is a non-issue, unless you get into extremes (LN2, etc). Just my $0.02CDN. But I understand wanting everything underwater, just because. :smiley: