New 3rd Gen Threadripper TRX40 motherboard talk & VRM list

So Gigabyte and Asrock have listed the next gen of Threadripper motherboards.
The chipset this time around is called TRX40 and brings pci-e 4.0 to Threadripper.

So lets talk about them.

1 Like

Vrm talk i tried to steal your x570 vrm topic layout. @PhaseLockedLoop

TRX40 Motherboard vrm list.

VRM Spec (MisteryAngel Compilation – May Contain Errors)
Motherboard Controller Powerstages Soc Controller Chokes Doubler
GIGABYTE TRX40 Aorus Xtreme IR XDPE132G5C (16 Phases) TDA21472 (16) IR35204 / 3 Phases 16 True 16 Phase
GIGABYTE TRX40 Aorus Master IR XDPE132G5C (16 Phases) TDA21472 (16) IR35204 / 3 Phases 16 True 16 Phase
GIGABYTE TRX40 Aorus Pro WIFI XDPE132G5C (12 Phases) TDA21472 (12) IR35204 / 2 Phases 12 True 12 Phase
GIGABYTE TRX40 Designare XDPE132G5C (16 Phases) TDA21472 (16) IR35204 / 3 Phases 16 True 16 Phase
Msi TRX40 Creator XDPE132G5C (16 Phases) TDA21472 (16) IR35204 / 3 phases 16 True 16 Phase
Msi TRX40 Pro 10G ISL69247 (6 Phases) ISL99390 (12) / 3 phases 12 ISL6617 (6)
Msi TRX40 Pro Wifi ISL69247 (6 Phases) ISL99390 (12) / 3 phases 12 ISL6617 (6)
Asus ROG Zenith II Extreme ASP1405 (8 Phases) TDA21472 (16) - 16 8x2 Phases
Asus ROG Zenith II Extreme Alpha ASP1405 (8 Phases) TDA21490 (16) - 16 8x2 Phases
Asus ROG Strix TRX40-E Gaming ASP1405 (8 Phases) TDA21462 (16) - 16 8x2 Phases
Asus Prime TRX40 Pro ASP1405 (8 Phases) TDA21462 (16) - 16 8x2 Phases
Asrock TRX40 Creator ISL69247 (8 Phases) ISL99390 (8) - 8 True 8 Phase
  • Powerstages:

-Intersil: ISL99390 Dr-mos 90A.
-Infineon: TDA21472 Smart powerstage 70A.
-Infineon: TDA21462 Smart powerstage 60A.
-infineon: TDA21490 Smart powerstage 90A.

• Pwm Controllers:

-Infineon: XDPE132G5C 16 Phase voltage controller.
-Intersil: ISL69247 AMD only voltage controller.
-AS1405: IR35201 modified for Asus.

*I assume that Asus is still using the ASP1405. *
However Asus does a bit vague about this.

3 Likes

That’s fine. It needs continuous updating. The nature of my professional work and IEEE position as well put me in a place where I have little time to do much. I might take a look at stuff this weekend

Yeah still looking for the Designare specs. but those arent listed complete yet.
My guess same vrm as the Aorus pro.

I did not list the soc vrm’s yet.
Maybe when i know more i could somehow expand the colums.
But i’m not really that good in creating such collums.
If you like your help is appreciated.

Of course all the features of said boards can also be discussed here.

Discourse makes it a pain. IF you make a spreadsheet in libre office and copy paste those. Then discourse makes a table the easy way.

Yeah Ill look into its specs but I dont think anybody has quite got a definitive answer on its power delivery circuity

1 Like

I got it straight from Gigabyte site which is normally pretty accurate :slight_smile:

Asrock boards seem to have active vrm and chipset cooling. Not surprising with those tdp’s.

1 Like

@PhaseLockedLoop i would like to add and aditional collum at the end for soc sections.

1 Like

@PhaseLockedLoop if you find more boards from other vendors feel free to add.
i might redo this topic once we got most boards complete,
and put it into one main post wiki.
Like you made the X570 vrm wiki.

@Riotvan

Anyways kinda currious about Asrock since the Taichi TRX40 seems to,
be using 90A Drmos powerstages.
But i don’t have enough details yet on controller and controll scheme to put it into a collum as Gigabyte above.
Asrock states 16 phases on their overview page, but that doesn’t tell me really much.
I need pcb pics to know more.

1 Like

Well the less fans the better imo. Gigabyte only seems to use them on the chipset and just regular old fins on the vrm heatsinks. Asrock either cheaped out or is expecting much more heat, possibly for higher core sku’s.

It might be better to create a shared Google sheets for now while stuff is figured out. I’m at work but if you do so. Just PM me a link to it or something and I’ll check it out. See if things can be made nice and pretty

None of the TRX40 boards can officially carry the Thunderbolt Logo. Even Asrock can’t use Thunderbolt this time around.

1 Like

Yeah that is kinda an interesting situation right now.
Since i believe Thunderbolt is under Intel’s license,
so i’m kinda curious what the deal is with that.

Is it just me or these boards are REALLY underwhelming? I mean… it’s not that they’re straight bad but… if you compare them to x399 boards (which were already quite meh considering what workstation motherboard should be) they look quite miserable.

I mean let’s take a look for example at https://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/Fatal1ty%20X399%20Professional%20Gaming/index.asp which wasn’t in fact ridiculously priced. It had 4x full length pci-e slots, U.2 connector (which none of current motherboards have) dual gigabit AND 10G, pci-e bifurcation support, ECC support and SR-IOV support making it basically server-capable motherboard. On top of that it’s standard ATX motherboard.

Now we got those ridiculously sized motherboards which don’t actually fit most of mid-tower cases (as long as you want to have reasonable HDD bays section) and they don’t really offer much more that that. Okay there’s AORUS Extreme which is… decent I guess we could call it that way. But it’s giant (and I don’t see any rational reason why it should be) and basing on my previous experience with Gigabyte I’d say it doesn’t support SR-IOV. I don’t have anything against paying 1k usd for TRX40 mobo - just give me one that’s actually worth it. Because current ones are not.

Also - have you guys noticed that unlike x399 - there’s NO trx40 board with 5x full length pci-e slots? There was one for x399 - https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/X399-DESIGNARE-EX-rev-10#kf

I’m extremely disappointed with current designs. I hope ASRock will come up with something high-end a bit later since TRX40 Creation looks like budget segment mobo.

According to AMD TRX40 supports 88 pci-e 4.0 lanes. That’s enough for full 4x pci-e x16 (not some x16/x8/x16/x8 bullcrap) and we still have 18 lanes left for like dual 10G NIC (which should take 4 lanes since pci-e 4.0 has double bandwidth and dual 10G cards took x8 on pci-e 3.0) and we still would have 12 lanes for 3x NVME…

There’s just so much I/o on this chipset and it gets lost somewhere. Even if we’d assume those 88 lanes are some marketing trick and in fact there’s still 64 - imho still those lanes are severely wasted because it’s 4.0, not 3.0. So stuff like wifi cards, 10G cards etc takes twice less lanes.

1 Like

The ASRock Boards both have fans on the VRM cooling.
In my eyes, that confirms my suspicion that moving onward from TR4 was a VRM decision.

1 Like

With a higher TDP that makes sense. It is just such a shame that most of the main board designers put most of the PCie lanes to poor use. Ugh.

1 Like

What would the ideal TRX40 mobo look like (specs-wise)?

I’m assuming ASUS and their workstation line will make the most use of this, but here’s the kicker: They could be reserving the higher number of PCI-E lanes to the TRX80 and WRX80 boards, along with potentially 8 channel memory. TRX40 could have just been an entry level offering.

1 Like

Well yeah since the creator is only an 8 phase board.
It will likely need active vrm cooling.