MisteryAngel‘s build thread help her pick

There are 2 main things i won´t cheap out on,
one being the psu the other the motherboard :slight_smile:

In terms of motherboards, i will definitelly go with a x570 board.
Because the interesting B550 boards,
are just as expensive as good x570 boards.
So in that case you could very well just go with x570.

To me on a main stream platform it does not really make much sense,
to spend more then like $350,- on a motherboard really.
In my case i would likely go for the Gigabyte X570 Aorus Master.

Other boards that are nice as well.

• Asrock X570 Taichi: pretty good board for the money.
  • Asus ROG X570-E Strix: Also pretty good board.
  • Msi X570 MEG Unify: Not a bad board either.
    However i personally don´t like the realtek lan on it.
    And the MEG Ace is too expensive for the features it offers.

So yeah take your pick. :slight_smile:

On B550 i really like the Asrock B550 Taichi or the Gigabyte B550 Vision D.
However those boards are just too expensive for a B-series board.
For those who are looking for a B550 board, they shouldn´t,
really spend more then $200 on that.

The most interesting B550 boards in my book.

• Asrock B550 Steel Legend.
  • Gigabyte B550 Aorus pro.
  • Msi B550 Tomahawk is getting my honnerable mention.
3 Likes

personally asrock or gigabyte cause asrock got tb3 and gigabyte people have spoofed the titan ridge card for tb3

you’ll have some future expandability with that plus better all around io

Yeah the Asrock X570 Creator would be one of the nicest boards to get on x570.
However that board is almost €550,- up here.
Which is allot for a main stream board.
But i agree that tb3 support and a 10G nic is nice to have.

the tachi has pretty much the same expandability as the creator that one or 550 steel both have tb3 headers
Screen Shot 2020-07-21 at 8.36.02 PM

gigabyte is the poop atm no risk taking

I don’t know… You still get the PCIe4 on the GPU and one M.2 and you don’t have to deal with a dumbass fan on the board. (Yes, I still have a massive hate-boner for chipset fans.) But for passthrough stuff X570 probably makes more sense, I guess? … I’d go B550 Taichi, personally.

Everyone: “How many Watts?”
Seasonic: “Yes.”

5700XT - Sapphire Pulse?

1 Like

Well the B550 Taichi is actually like €15,- more then the X570 Taichi.
And that makes it kinda a hard sell in my opinion.
The chipset fans are a thing that many people complain about indeed.

That is actually one of the cheapest 5700XT´s that doesn´t generally seem to be too hot.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/6Nx9gJ

I’m gonna bump this in two years.

3 Likes

My opinion lets wait for rdna2 for new cards from amd to launch till then maybe just use the gpu you have .
Jensen wants to shit on the console GPu i am sure and will most likely be at a process node disadvantage for mid range cards.samsung 8nm is more like 10nm ,while tsmc 7nm is a combination of 7nm and 5nm

It has been about that long, hasn’t it?

1 Like

@MisteryAngel
what’s the use case for this build? Code Compiling? Docker servers? Linux? Gaming? I think I am missing a thread for the context.

Motherboards

Also for motherboards, I pick in order of

1. Power Delivery
  2. Wifi/Networking options
  3. Ports and connectivity (how many usb, sata, etc)

Here’s a good tier list of vrm qualities

buildzoid/gamers nexus also did a roundup for x570

Also for B550

My Thoughts on B550 vs X570

The people I usually recommend parts and builds in my club are people who just need a cheap pc to play games and esports titles. I generally recommend the bseries boards since they won’t really need the full capabilities of pci 4.0 in addition to the bseries boards usually being cheaper.
Aside from that, I personally don’t like adding an additional point of failure to my build.

If you know you will need the full capabilities of pci 4.0, you will get the X570 boards. As of the current moment, there hasn’t been mass adoption of pci 4.0 on add-on card manufacturers besides storage.

I figure we have another generation of gpus before both nvidia and amd release cards that take advantage of pci 4.0.

unless the rumors of slapping a pci 4.0 ssd onto a graphics card to compete with the consoles is true, in which I might be wrong. I do not claim to be a tech oracle, jesus, or buddha

If you are doing light gaming, then I’d get a cheaper graphics card, and upgrade when the new ones with pci 4.0 support come out.

Other Parts

someone also made a psu tier list on the LTT forums

Overall

If you are in dire need of a new system, I’d get a board and cpu that best matches your needs at the current moment. Cheap out on a gpu either buying a used gpu or a low tier one, and push more of your budget to your motherboard, cooler, ram, and storage.

Especially since there’s rumors of new hardware.

I’d add case to the list too, case and psu will outlive multiple upgrades
on a semi related note…
59,319 votes and 1,128 comments so far on Reddit
source

5 Likes

the B350 gigabyte nic I have won’t work for the first 5 minutes the computer is on, I’ve sworn off gigabyte unless its free, I’ve had problems with their Gaming 5 and Gaming k5 series as well as this mini-itx board with its nic
Taichi seems solid

1 Like

While realizing that there’s no perfect product I too recommend the X570 Taichi at the moment for desktop use.

I’ve built quite a few systems with that model over the last year and all of the teething issues I can think of are basically gone now:

• Thunderbolt 3 is working quite well now with the Gigabyte GC-Titan Ridge

• Rev. 1.06 moved the onboard USB-C front header a bit so it doesn’t get blocked by a long GPU

• UEFI “navigation speed” is almost without a noticable delay, during the first months it was a bit frustrating to wait for the UI to catch up to your inputs

• The CPU PCIe slots can be used with x16/x0, x8/x8, x4-x4/x8, x8/x4-x4 and x4-x4-x4-x4

• A remaining “issue” is the chipset fan speed if you are sensitive to that whiny sound but you can easily adjust that manually, I don’t get why ASRock is unable to implement that correctly

On the other hand if you are 100 % positive that you’ll never use Thunderbolt I’d go with the ASUS Pro WS X570-ACE since there you can use x8 from the chipset for a regular AIC almost giving you the PCIe lane options of HEDT platforms.

1 Like

Well yeah that is kinda the thing, in terms of features and vrm,
the Gigabyte X570 Aorus master is a board that got my interest.
However i personally always had a love / hate relationship with Gigabytes / Abit boards.
In terms of the nic, intel nic is a necessity. :slight_smile:

Asrock lately makes some very nice boards indeed.
And their bios is also improving allot from what i read.
The only major downside that the X570 Taichi has for me is that only has a single nic,
which is a little bit of a bummer for a €320,- board.
But yeah that’s the thing, the perfect mobo for me just doesn’t exists haha.
Yeah okay the Asrock X570 Creator, but that board is just too expensive for main stream.
Same counts for the Msi X570 MEG Creation.

The vrm is always the first thing i look at when buying or recommending a board.
This is because i know this stuff pretty well.
Have been doing vrm overviews ever since the X58 era.

My trx40 motherboard talk and vrm list topic is still the first hit on google,
with the search term trx40 vrm list, which is kinda funny haha.

On x570 @PhaseLockedLoop did a nice overview as well.

I also have pretty much all vrm overviews on B550 and Z490 boards complete.
But i decided not to make topics about it anymore.
Because reviewers like Buildzoid already makes great video’s in regards to that.
If people still prefer to have vrm overview topics then i might consider making them again.
But the thing is vrm terminology is pretty complex and not many people actually understand or care much about it.
This is one of the reasons why my older vrm talk topics on other board platforms bury pretty quickly.
And in that regards allot of work goes into getting all the data straight. :slight_smile:

1 Like

@PhaseLockedLoop i just edited the Gigabyte X570 Gaming X vrm details.
Noticed that it wasn’t fully complete yet.

This board is using a discrete mosfet setup.
With Onsemi 4C010N’s High-side and 4C06N’s low-side, which are god. awful.

Same counts for the Gigabyte X570 Ultra Durable board by the way. :slight_smile:
Which is also a god awful board haha.

Here is the rest of my list X570 boards with a pretty poor vrm implementation.
Not suitable for a 3900X / 3950X!!!

• Asrock X570 Pro4.
  • Asrock X570M pro 4.
  • Asrock X570 Phantom Gaming 4.
  • Gigabyte X570 Aorus Gaming X.
  • Gigabyte X570 UD.
  • Msi X570-A pro.
  • Msi MPG X570 Gaming plus.
  • Msi MPG X570 Gaming Edge Wifi.

For those who are interested :wink:

Anyways thanks guys for all the recommendations.
I really appreciate that.

yeah and TBCH I dont have that time. Im not paid for it so the return isnt as rewarding when I have a lot of other engineering and stuff to do.

Now look. Stop only looking at power delivery. You will find with ryzen its not actually all that important. Ryzen boosts so much already you will barely squeeze anymore out of it. So you really should be looking at what fits your budget and need now. Not later. The 3950X isnt that huge of a power hog from the videos ive seen. Get the stable board with a stable feature set that can run what you need and not more

For the power supply mistery you should really optimize it around your build. What graphics card are you planning on. Im not scrolling up (sorry) haha. What kind of load profile are we looking at. We can optimize the wattage and efficiency around that. An efficient power supply ensures a long system life.

Ive seen Tsks recommended build. However honestly I would still go with an RTX 2060 Super. Im not sure what you are going to use the system for?

Do you want it to be ultra smoooolll or do you want it to be a big system like your phantom. Im gonna forwarn you. As you get older like ive found… you want tiny. You want something easy and compact to corner away and not be bothered by stuff or RGB or anything.

also dont get the crosshair VIII. Its not a good board despite being a ‘high end’ board.

4 Likes

Primarily because of feature creep. It has so much shit tacked onto it that things stop functioning and get buggy and UEFI/AGESA updates are slow

I still gather all the data and use it for recommendations.

Still pretty important.
But i’m not only looking at the power delivery system,
but also at features for a certain price point.

But tl/dr i got this. :slight_smile:

When i´m starting building i will likely make a topic.

2 Likes