Netflix on fedora, HOW [solved]

This has devolved from helping a user watch netflix on Fedora to flaming over the merits of Open Source. Can we split this topic off somewhere else? @Zoltan

That's pretty fucking terrible.

The conversation is basically over really. If you wish to use streaming services on Fedora, Chrome is your go to browser. It has all the DRM and codecs needed to play said content built into it.

100% relevant though... the user should know about the risks of allowing closed source DRM into his open source system, and why... fundamentals related to the question.

I'll defer to you on that. I don't have the time, energy or willpower to get into this discussion.

I also didn't start the discussion, it started with https://forum.level1techs.com/t/netflix-on-fedora-how/110330/28, I merely reacted in a responsible way.

The chance of this happening only potentially occurs if your using weird unsupported 3rd party repositories.

Fedora, fedora + rpmfusion, will upgrade fine.

It was an actual bug though, even with just fcmain repos. Dje mentioned it in the lounge a while ago, and the trick to update despite the bug worked, so I'm sure it was that bug.

If your talking about the bug that crashed x, that doesn't work with system upgrade, as that upgrades the system in a minimal env

It's a somewhat related bug, but it's not the same.

This bug still is open, and it's a problem of GUI package managers (apper, yumex, etc...) interfering with the refresh of local repo files. Dje had installed KDE after the facts, which injected apper, which mutilated the local repo files. All it takes is a dnf update --refresh from a root prompt instead of su -c.

This really makes me proud tearing up starting an open versus closed source flamewar, thank you

This has surpased any lounge shitpost I have ever done, I feel as if my life has been completed

1 Like

yw

only had rpmfusion + fedora when i upgraded. updates still broke. nuked it from orbit and installed fedora 25 from a fresh iso