Netflix on fedora, HOW [solved]

As others have said try using Chrome.

I have been using chromebooks for the last 3 years, preaching to the choir.

from the time of downloading chrome to this post I am already on episode 5 of bojack horseman

Oh well, glad you got it figured out! :)

I don't think they tried to do this on purpose, I think Chrome was the one to allow playback to work with DRM content through HTML5.

I'm talking about all the people who are not familiar with Linux and want a cheap laptop.

It may not have been on purpose, but if they released the chromebook without DRM Support, there would be a lot of unsatisfied customers.

The better choice if you need chrome on linux is to install chromium, then hack the proprietary codecs and DRM crap from chrome, and add it to chromium. There are automated scripts to do that, however, since it's probably illegal, you'll have to look for "add pepper to chromium in fedora 25" yourself...

it's not that it was on purpose or not, a lot of people who live in the Open source world live in a box, and what I mean by that is, they are so used to using open source utilities they act like the world does, and the world doesn't. basic things that people use MP3 support, Flash support, HTML5 support is a must have.

However, if you need a cheap laptop, you need a cheap laptop. Chromebooks are good for that, however for myself personally, storage is going to be a massive concern, 64GBs of Storage is not enough really for anyone..

1 Like

You mean that the people that mean OPEN source live in a box and those that use CLOSED source walled garden commercial software don't?
Reverse logic is not logical...
HTML5 is in all open source browsers, but the DRM addition is a free will thing, linux gives you the choice of not having it on your system because it will DRM your own content, the content created on your machine that you own by yourself, without your permission, and you might not want that if you have half a brain...

No, people who use proprietary software don't care whether software is open or not, they need it to get their job done. if Open source software is not going to do it, then they aren't going to use it. It's the reason why GNU / Linux is never going to surpass windows as a gaming platform, and why so many people are stuck on Adobe products.. there's no real competitor. and if there is something better people will try to move on.

Make sure you get paid to advertise closed source malware though... don't sacrifice your dignity for free lol

I mean whatever floats your boat, no one cares. People need to get work done at the end of the day, and not listen to bullshit Stallman talks about. like the world is going to end if you don't use Free Software.

What are you talking about? I get all my work done (in a windows, linux and mac environment) on Manjaro just fine. All I had to do was install things. Config worked out of the box.

I don't go preaching Stallman's idealist BS, but I do encourage people to use Linux, for it's practical merits.

I wasn't referring to you guy calm down. I was talking about people in general. you use whatever you use that works for you, however you or I. I use Linux cause I like a change of scenary. I don't use it cause Stallman is telling me the world is going to end cause Proprietary software is going to destroy the world.

Stallmann: favourite meta-argument because he tells people what to do... no he doesn't tell anyone what to do, he just informs and doesn't make anyone do anything... Microsoft on the other hand...

Just one of many drops in an ocean of abusive tears... because Microsoft actually does tell people what to do, tells them "you want to watch netflix boy, you gonna pay and lick our feet, and we gonna fuck you over good, as much and as fierce as we want to"...

Here's the problem, if I were a developer, and I developed software for a living.. YOU the end user are not entitled to a see any of my code cause you are paranoid. Netflix is an American company. They've made a service for you to stream content, and you pay a premium for said service. If you don't like what is being done, then unsubscribe from Netflix and go somewhere else. No one is holding a gun to your head for you to use their service.

Move on and find an alternative.. Netflix doesn't have a monopoly on content streaming.

That is true, it's also why the Netflix content portfolio is shrinking, because the nature of digital means of discrimination is that they limit the market. It's why Amazon wins for the moment.

That's because it is expensive to keep content up. Netflix pays licensing fees to content creators so they can stream content on their platform. Which is why to circumvent this they make original content now on top of paying content creaators.

Yeah content creators prefer selling licenses to platforms that offer more exposure.

You do realize Netflix is on damn near everything yes? Amazon and Netflix have just about the same exposure. People just want to watch content they want to watch. If you don't have it, they go somewhere else. You want TV shows? Then go to Hulu. You want Movies? Go to Netflix.