NASty - Ryzen based 10Gbe pure SSD NAS

Thanks everyone for the names. I had quite a few good laughs. :+1:

@nx2l almost nailed it pretty early on. FlashGordon is really good, it is so dumb, I love it.
@Big_Al_Tech was also close with Nasgûl.

But I also liked the idea of just calling NASty. And I will go with that.
So I have to thank @Leon_the_Loner for his suggestion that I just modified.

NAMING IS OVER! THANKS EVERYONE!

I checked the warranty on the Crucial and it has the same 5 years limited.
So the Samsung drives seem to have no advantage.

Probably gonna order drives next week.

1 Like

but the theme song lol

4 Likes

Yeah, but I have one too. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Have you had any problems with your system crashing while idle? I have a similar build as yours:

Ryzen 3 1200
Asus Prime X370 Pro
2 x 16GB Crucial ECC DDR4-2400
Mellanox MCX311A SFP+ 10Gbe NIC
Corsair CX450M/EVGA G3 550 (crashes with both)
WD 512GB m.2 PCIe/ADATA 128GB ASX6000 boot drive (crashes with both)
3 x 6TB WD Black RAIDZ1
Ubuntu 16.04

However, the longest time I’ve gone without the system crashing is a little over a week. This system is mostly idle.

There are long discussions about this issue at:

https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=196683

I’m not gonna use linux on this machine unfortunately. I need working TRIM support and as far as I can see FreeNAS is my only real option for that.

Only thing I would suggest is to disable C-States in the UEFI.

Sorry. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

There’s actually a long FreeNAS thread about this issue as well:

One guy resolved the issue by installing a crypto mining plugin so that the CPU was never idle.

People have tried fiddling with C-states but that doesn’t seem to have worked.

1 Like

Well, I will see how it goes. Thanks for the heads up.

1 Like

Also touching the topic of idle time: have you measured the power consumption during standby, idle and use?
I was planning to build a NAS soon, but I somewhat care about any kind of resource efficiency, so that would be interesting to know.
Do you think it would be possible to have some kind of WakeOnLan setup in which the machine is mostly in standby and only waking up on demand / going to sleep after ~5m of idle time?

I don’t think you can get much more efficient than this build without losing something.
If I manage to find that stupid wattmeter I’ll hook it up.

Can’t help you with the WOL thing though, I want my box explicitly to not sleep.

1 Like

Looking forward to the consumption numbers!

I think I’ll have to try the WOL setup and probably will have to send the magic package manually via script/app if I want to use it each time. Wouldn’t hurt to much in my 2 people household though

naSSD (read “Nasty”).

1 Like

LZ4 is pretty inexpensive because it has an early abort feature. It’s worth looking into.

Had to look that up, you are talking about compression, right?
OK, gonna take a look but I want to be able to edit video from that box so latency is a thing and I was thinking that any kind of compression is probably gonna hurt that. Am I wrong on that one?

I WON! I want to say thanks to all the people on the internet and my mother.

3 Likes

Here is you golden turd, now GTFO! :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Compression speed would depend on the processor, and yours should be fine

It would be easy to test with two datasets, one compressed, the other uncompressed.
Though video doesn’t typically compress all that well- the original encoding probably compressed it as much as it can be
You might also try tweaking record size?
You could just blow away the one that performs less well after

Yeah, like you said, compressing video is not gonna do much.
And I still think that any kind of decompression on read will introduce latency. Just by nature.

The goal is to have a reliable, fast and big storage box. I would think that if I introduce compression, I am compromising the low latency benefit of SSDs for a tiny bit more storage space. That sounds like a bad deal to me.

I can confirm that compression=on with ZFS on linux copying DVD movies
 doesnt save space.

@Ruffalo – clarified by comment.

1 Like

Lossless compression doesn’t save space. If you reencode a MPEG-2 DVD to h.264 or HEVC, you’ll save a ton.

1 Like

@noenken
Let me know when you want to extend your storage to a bigger array.

Cause
 Everyone needs more storage.