NASty - Ryzen based 10Gbe pure SSD NAS

Thanks, gonna tag you when I run into walls. :+1:

I have a bunch of HDDs that will go in a big tower to be used for media bulk storage. (like BD to MKV lossless movies and stuff.) That is gonna be about 18-20TB usable storage. And kinda loud, so Iā€™m gonna put that thing in the only place where I donā€™t care about noise: The kitchen. xD

This one is more for editing directly from it and storing my important stuff.

Nice.

Iā€™ve got a pile of shelves that need hard drives.

Maybe I should just make a store to sell all this fine merchandise. :smiley:

You could always sell it direct to people on the forum.

Make a WTS thread. If you give more deets, I might break down and buy one or two.

3 Likes

Specifications: heavy when full.

7 Likes

OK, that is not going in my kitchen! xD

:drooling_face:

1 Like

Not ALL of them. Itā€™s only a 4U shelf.

2 Likes

Regarding SSDs, the Crucials seem to be a very good option. Theyā€™re among the cheapest, and the MX series always had partial power loss protection, meaning data already committed to flash will not get corrupted in case of a sudden power outage, no guarantees for ā€˜in flightā€™ data though (but for that youā€™ll have zfs). If you want full power loss protection, youā€™ll have to look for enterprise drives. Consumer drives usually have no power loss protection at all. So Crucial MX could be the ā€˜sweet spotā€™ on the price/reliability curve. If anybody knows a ā€˜sweeterā€™ solution, please share here.

1 Like

Feeling slightly less like a hoarder now

1 Like

Yeah, I really need to relieve the warehouse of itā€™s stock.
If you know anyone who needs a shelf or two. Let me know.

I would definitely test it first. I believe lz4 compression compresses the first small chunk of data and if it doesnā€™t reach a minimum compression ratio then it gives up on the rest. Then you would only introduce latency on the first like 20 kB (or however much) of your uncompressible files. This may even be configurable, somewhere, somehow.

On those files that are configurable, however, compression can increase your transfer speeds. If your data is compressed by 25%, then you can essentially transfer data 125% faster than uncompressed. This because you can shove more data in the pipe at one time. I like the analogy of the train driving the same speed but you can fit more people on it.

Whether it helps or not, I donā€™t think it will hurt. Either way, itā€™s definitely worth testing.

I always sayā€¦ Itā€™s not hoarding, if itā€™s organized.

1 Like

@Noenken Could you post some pictures of how you secured the SSDs in place once the rig is complete? Iā€™m curious what solution did you go with.

Well, with this. :grinning:

https://www.silverstonetek.com/product.php?area=en&pid=602

Iā€™m curious how good the backplane of that enclosure is.
Iā€™ve had the surprise to be emailed the SATA errors and retransmissions to me by FreeNAS in a box with a dodgy backplane Iā€™ve built at work. :slight_smile:

Small update:

@vkfu I have had the NAS idling for about two weeks without any issue now. So while I canā€™t say for sure that I donā€™t have that problem, I can say it looks unlikely.

I will make some minor changes (mostly switch out the PSU fan for a noctua) and then do another few tests on the system.

I was about to buy drives when the 2TB MX500 goes below the 400,- Euro mark. Unfortunately they have become more expensive now, from around 430,- to 470,- Euro per drive. NAND prices are just frustrating ā€¦ I mean I bought a 960GB Sandisk SSD for 199,- around Christmas 2015 and we are still not even on that level again.

So it might take a while before I can finish this build. :disappointed:

Cable management is functional for the airflow and, it looks fantastic!

What switch are you planning to use with the dual 10 gig ethernet card?

Thanks. Classic case of form follows function. :wink:

None actually. I have two systems that are capable of dealing with data transfers of those speeds, so I donā€™t need one for now.

1 Like

Didnā€™t think about that, itā€™s a quite convenient solution! especially because there really arenā€™t any ā€œaffordableā€ 10gig switches apart from the Netgear GS110EMX that has only two ports capable of 10gig speeds and is one of the basic smart managed ones or the new Asus shiny one that is not managed at allā€¦