My response to Linux Help Guy's "Fuck Linux" Video and My Genuine Thoughts on Linux as a Seasoned IT Professional

You the part about one desktop environment is the only thing I don't agree with. I love options. However, hardware drivers should be the same across distros.

1 Like

I agree, options are great, but not so much when you're trying to sell an operating system to an end user.

whole thread boils down to this

2 Likes

Agreed on all of the above. It's not like the power users couldn't still delve into their own personalized DE if they want to but for the average end user GNOME is probably what needs to be chosen.

Lol. Love The Dude and I agree. Sharing and discussion of opposing beliefs and opinions are what makes the world a better place so I'm all about it. The passion that it invokes on either side of the debate table is what we all have in common and through it we can accomplish great things. :)

debate is great as long as people refrain from butt hurt

I only speak from the pov of using audio, but I moved to linux because i got tired of the way Windows audio interferes with an audio stream.

I used to have a wonderful DAW machine using XP with Creative Soundblaster/Audigy. There were major issues with creative soundcard hardware, mainly due to the windows drivers. The solution in XP was using alternative drivers (KXproject) that could leverage the pro audio chip creative used, but hobbled in software for their consumer grade cards. Option of moving to Win7 became impossible because changes to the audio api meant some needed functions were no longer available. Then i found JACK, best option ever.

That is not to say that linux is without problems. I had a great working system until last year using alsa and jack for all audio needs. However, decision by Skype that audio must be via pulseaudio has changed that for much worse. Pulseaudio reflects some of the worst aspects of linux. Aside from the annoyance of an extra and weak link in the audio chain that is not beneficial for pro-audio use, any comments about workarounds or shortcomings in Pulse are regularly flamed by the pulse fans.

The linux community should be hepful and inclusive, has a long way to go on that in some respects. That is a big problem that I have also seen in other communities that I would expect to be more thoughtful and tolerant.

I have no problem using Libre Office or Abiword regularly. GIMP is ok too now i am getting used to changes from Photoshop. I find many of the power tools on proprietary s/w to be just clutter IMHO.

Happy to stay dude and abide in XFCE on Manjaro!

2 Likes

That's actually really similar to Android's recent ads. Their new motto is 'Be together, not the same.'

That's where I got it from.

He did it pretty good justice right there. I never have to fix peoples linux installs that I do, But I have to fix windows 7 and 8 non stop. Windows updates still brake windows non stop. I've gotten to the point that I just back-up their files and tell them to just re-install windows themself. I use Windows XP and 95 in VM's because 7 and 8 don't work with a lot of old programs and games I like. Even when I'm on the steam community I keep finding people having to jump through hoops to get a game working on windows 8, and quite a few that are not even supported on windows 8. Luckly that problem is getting a lot rarer but every system has it's problems. Then again I live in an area where I go to starbucks and people are running linux on their macs and other laptops. Linux popularity here probably has a lot to do with the fact that there are a lot of organizations like Free Geek in the area that give out free Linux PC's to kids, students and schools loaded with Ubuntu and other linux distros.

I think there are some valid points to the guys rant. In fact i remember thinking much the same thing when i started using linux. First impressions of linux isnt really all that good. It is getting much better recently. I started on linux for a different reasons,tho. Never did i expect it to be perfect. I expected more control. Which linux has delivered upon.

God I love these heated conversations! It only means that people are passionate about their OS of choice! Let’s all just try not to be offended so easily and support every OS. It’s all about learning. I completely agree with the emotions of the Linux Help Guy, however the way he expressed those emotions didn't help his case. He basically became one of the people he was complaining about.

Linux is not Windows and never will be. To continue to compare the two like they are competing is ridiculous. By the time Linux is main stream, Microsoft will be offering Windows for free. In my opinion… and this is just a generalization. If you tell a Windows user his OS sucks he will probably say “Yeah… It has it’s issues but it does everything I need it to do.” If you tell a Mac user that Mac sucks they go off on a rant about Steve Jobs and all of his amazingness, and “Oh Macs don’t get viruses.” If you tell a Linux user that you LOVE linux and say your favorite distro is Ubuntu, you get called a noob, or some other derogatory term. If you tell a linux user that linux sucks, you generally get “!@#$@ Microsoft ($# ***$#( ) &%$(#@”. That's what I think the LHG was venting about.

Well, I completely disagree with LinuxHelpGuy, and I did saw that video a while back (and disliked it).

First thing one should know before doing anything, is what he wants, once that is established, then, he can continue from there.

Point of one direction is most insane proposition so far, I mean, would you like to have just one choice? Just Ubuntu for example? Or maybe two, Ubuntu for debian, and Fedora or whatever the otherones name is. I for one wouldn't like that. The good example is Ubuntu, first Linux i tried was Mandrake Linux, and it was not so bad, but, there was a lot of problems with it. Next one, few (or more) years latter, was my first encounter with Ubinti, in all honesty, at the time, Ubuntu was king of Linux, but it was terrible, all sort of problems (might be trivial, but...), so, again, i refused to use it. I've tried periodically some distros etc., but did not liked it.

Only recently, i was so frustrated with Windows, that after i realized that in one week of PC usage (a lot of hours, 5+ per day), i did gind myself playing a game for exactly 0 minutes a lot of times. Then, i thought to myself, since I'm already frustrated with this, and since i do not use Windows main feature (in general), let's try something else. Installed Ubuntu, and meh..., Unity...., GNOME = better, but still not what i want, XFCE etc. = good, but not for me, KDE = imiiate dislike (I don't know why). Then, there is a Cinnamon = perfect,e xactly what i want.

What is the point of this post? Well, look, that is how market works. One day king, might be tomorrow servant (this was analogy..., not directed to anything), Ubuntu was the king, now, other OS based on Ubuntu is the most popular one. How did that happened? Once you gain power, or whatever name you want to use (market share for example), you might lose your way, and there is a market to correct you. After introduction of Unity, and pushing all sorts of other things, space was opened for growing unsatisfied market, and other solution proven itself to be something more people fins useful and functional. Now don't get me wrong, not everyone will find same thing equaly useful, that is also the point, what may work for me, might not work for you, everyone have different preferences and needs.

So, LinuxHelpGuy expressed his opinion relative to his preferences and needs, i completely disagree with most things (ofc. there are things toa gree upon), but, his opinion is equaly important as mine. And that leads us towards yet another point, while our opinions are quite relevant for Linux (example, Ubuntu the king, only to be dethroned with OS based on Ubuntu = Mint), i doubt that our opinion would make any difference in other closed software systems (such as Windows, or MAC etc.), and that is very important, this is free market at work, if DirectX was open standard, do you think that Microsoft Windows would be a king (as it is) now? Not a chance. So, it is not just a question of choice, it is question of preventing monopoly and allowing market to function. And as meny otehrs said, the more I use Linux, the more I'm impressed, and from that point, I do not understand Linux help Guy, and I'm suspicious about it (probably just paranoid lol).

For what otehrs think, why should anyone care? If someone calls you a "noob" in negative way, while not contributiong to your problem etc., well, ask him, accept the fact that you are noob, and ask for solution, if that person does not answer, you know it is ordinary troll, and there is no point in wasting your time on meaningless discussions (no matter if it is Windows or Linux or whatever in question). For example, on this very forum, there are persons with whom i did disagree in a lot of topics and had heated discussions, but, when they speak about things they know, and I don't, I listen,a dn even tho answer might not be the solution, it is very helpful and make me learn more. So that is important, respect others and knowledge they have on different topics, and respect your knowledge on otehr topics etc., and relax.

And i started in one way this post, then completely wonder away, and now, if you read just last sentence, don't bother with reading whole text, since it is just rumle... ;).

1 Like

Good thread everyone. There is some fantastic points of view that have furthered my knowledge and opinions of Linux (and Windows for that matter). Thanks to everyone for being courteous and understanding.

TLDR but yea. Watching the vid atm. He's pretty dead on right. Not alot of people have time to use the terminal to get stuff working. Or rather yet learn to put a dash there or two dashes there or no wait a space instead of a forward slash etc.. I mean if windows is a 980 ti, linux still a 8800gtx. If windows is directx 11.1, linux still directx9. In the end linux will win. MIcrosoft knows it and is already leaving the OS business. As a gamer myself and from the looks of that YT vid, that guy really wants 99.9% uptime on War Thunder and 0% on code bashing, nuff said.