My response to Linux Help Guy's "Fuck Linux" Video and My Genuine Thoughts on Linux as a Seasoned IT Professional

Link to Linux Help Guy's Video

TL;DR: Source2+VulcanAPI+Insurgence of SteamOS IS going to bring a level of gaming on Linux we've never seen before. It's not there yet but is coming sooner than you think. Pretty much everything else on Linux works as good or better than Windows.

I realize you're not doing any new stuff on this channel and that you were (obviously) pretty disgruntled over your recent Linux ventures however, a video like this makes it sound as if everyone whom tries Linux will get nothing but frustration from start to finish. Perhaps that's true but it's all matter of perspective. I've always felt when one gets to a level of frustration with something the proper course of action is to take a step back, ponder over what may have went wrong, casually research, and if you feel like it pick back up again when the time is right. If you keep a Windows install handy and available it's as simple as rebooting and selecting a different option when presented.

I'm an IT professional of over 10 years specializing in remote support. Every tool I use is software or web based software. Two weeks ago I decided, after a 4 - 5 year hiatus from Linux, that I'd give it another go. I bought myself a second SSD so as to retain my Windows installation in case anything went drastically wrong, slapped into my system, downloaded/installed Ubuntu 14.04, and within a couple hours I had ALL my work tools configured and functioning properly. Then, I decided I'd try my hand at some of the customization to the DE. It took a little elbow grease yes but, what I learned is how much more you can do in terms of user interaction with the OS on Linux vs Windows. I could emulate a Windows DE, OSX, or do whatever the hell I wanted. So, another few hours and another win for Linux. Everything was going so smoothly so I said fuck it, I'm going to try to get some games on my rig too. Bear in mind I have pretty new hardware (all released in the last few years but other than my GTX980 nothing I have is considered "bleeding edge" hardware). While, at this point in time, there may be little choice for gaming on Linux I had ZERO issues with all my Linux compatible Steam titles or Minecraft. The only thing I'm really having to work on is game capture and honestly that's more of a pet project as I don't normally stream or record my games anyway but, I wanted to see what the experience was like.

Perhaps Ubuntu has comes such a long way since I last used it that it's just that much better or, perhaps my own inner development as an IT pro and human being have ushered in new understandings. Either way, I've been using Ubuntu as my primary work rig OS for over two weeks now and you know, I'm not sure if I'll ever go back to Windows unless it's to play a non-Linux compatible game. I'm sorry this is just a long comment but I wanted to let others out there know that using Linux can be a challenge but how you accept the challenge is what determines whether you'll be successful. The same is true about all things in life. You can be a part of the problem or you can be a part of the solution. With Linux, you can be both and through doing so provide yourself with actual real-world value in the IT industry.

A word of caution though for those looking to try it out; Games, particularly uber-pub AAA games, are a ways from being mainstream on Linux so don't overwrite your Windows install thinking you'll be able to play all your favorite titles on Linux... yet. I will reiterate though, Valve and SteamOS are going to provide a new conduit for Linux gamers which is extremely exciting. As far as everything else goes, Linux works just as good or better than Windows if you're willing to think critically and learn new things. If you're looking for a change from MS/Windows, Ubuntu is a fabulous place to start but, there is no "easy button" so to speak. Put on your binary ass kicking boots and make your machine do what you want it to do. Part of the fun in using Linux is to see how far you can push it and yourself.

7 Likes

I have to agree, most distro's and espescially Ubuntu are pretty userfriendly these days and usually are much easier to operate then it might seem or what others have told you.
I'm using Ubuntu Gnome at the moment, and have little to no issues in several months of use, I had some issues getting the drivers to work, but now I know how to do that, its all fairly easy.

I wont be expecting much major AAA titles on linux, but that will come eventually once more people use Linux.

Also, Linux currently is mostly for people who are willing to learn from their mistakes and have the patience to try something again if it doesn't work out the first time.
The problem is that most people want everything to work at the push of a button, which is just not how things work on Linux, for now.

Long story short, I cant wait to see what happens in 5 year with linux. :)

3 Likes

'Together but not the same' is how I think of Linux desktops.

3 Likes

That is it, yes.

Once you've been playing the game long enough you eventually get over the politics and bullshit and just use the tools available to get whatever it is you need to get done.

1 Like

Who's even that guy? I can see an old guy complaining about stuff that's obvious and making a huge farce out of it. There are always compromises, but he's making them look way bigger than they actually are. I'm sure that he will come back to Linux crying after a few months.

To be honest, I've grown tired of the same old stuff (Windows) and am a big fan of the TekSyndicate guys so when they started talking all this Linux madness I decided I give it another go too. I'm glad I did. It's something relatively new and refreshing for me and I'm absolutely adoring it at the moment. I'm sure something will eventually come up that makes me want to rant in a video/blog as well but as previously stated, I made a conscious effort to have a fall back plan (Windows 8.1 still fully configured and functional on a totally separate SSD). So, if/when I screw up my Ubuntu install I won't lose any productivity at work and gives me the opportunity to ponder what I may have done wrong.

Gaming is really the only place where Linux falls short in my opinion and again, I don't think it will be too much longer before that's also a thing of the past. For now, I see no reason to go back to Windows. I'll put it to you this way, I love me some Battlefield and Hardline just came out... but I don't care and haven't bought it because I'm so thoroughly enjoying my Ubuntu experience right now.

1 Like

I guess a little context would help. lol. I watched the inbox.exe show this morning and they mentioned Linux Help Guy giving it up due to all the negativity that stems from what I like to refer to as the "Linux Supremacist" attitude that advanced Linux users can sometimes portray much in the same way Windows users are towards OSX users or PC gamers are towards console gamers.

It's unfortunate the Linux userbase often gets shed in the same light considering the whole spirit of Linux is being in it together, helping one another, and affirming ideaology contrary to the accepted.

I thought the ending was pretty good.

I think the man was absolutely spot on in a number of areas, particularly with choosing a unified desktop, getting the drivers to work, and the moves that Microsoft has made with regard to Windows 10, which makes the rationale for using Linux that much more difficult.

I also think that video was one of the most entertaining rants I've ever seen. I stumbled across his video after viewing another installment of the "Linux Sucks" series by that SUSE fella.

I love Linux (I currently have Ubuntu on an old laptop). I love FreeBSD, too, and have been using it since version 4. I'm not kidding myself thinking that choice is a prime driver, nor do I think either will become ubiquitous on the desktop. The politics are BS, and Torvalds' stances on much of it I agree with.

I use Windows, too, and the reasons are as justifiable to my personal choices as any I create for Linux.

The Linux Help Guy hasn't quit Linux, btw. I appreciate his honesty, and understand his enthusiasm and critique.

2 Likes

Don't get me wrong I can totally empathize with his perspective and in truth, I only watched a couple of his videos this morning so I'm not judging the man or his opinions whatsoever.

That said, videos/statements of that nature are what drive folks away from Linux under the premise they'll never get anything to work properly without digging through loads of support forum threads. This day and age, at least for me, that wasn't the case at all. MS/Windows has made everything so easy mode I rarely have to resort to the command line for anything but the most complicated issues. I setup nearly everything in my current Ubuntu installation through the GUI, just like Windows. This is counterintuitive to what he was griping about which leads me to believe he's testing/using distros on old hardware? I dunno. In any case, half of the stuff he ranted about simply isn't true for me personally.

When it comes to operating systems, I use the right one for the right job. Unfortunately due to the expansion of my game library, I no longer have a Linux partition on my 500gb HDD so now I'm on Windows 10 technical preview. If I didn't need my games, Linux would have the entire drive. I don't think my laptop could handle skyrim in wine as it struggles to run it natively. I may create a thread later comparing Mint or SUSE to Windows 10 as right Noe it's pretty stable.

2 Likes

Understand that my post was not in any way a critique of your post. How could I? I use FreeBSD, which is clearly not something designed for mass market appeal. No one who uses FreeBSD is going to say that drivers are a hallmark in that OS.

Looking at it a different way, from my perspective, I think the LHG guy is doing a service. If one has ever had the difficulty of trying to set up a wireless printer, even under Ubuntu, I'd rather have someone tell people the difficulties therein before installing Linux, and putting in the one commodity no one wants to be wasted time, and getting frustrated. As I said earlier, I have Ubuntu on a laptop, and the setup was not without pitfalls that made me wonder if much progress had been made in certain key areas, at all.

Is my experience with certain driver fails a model as a whole? No. But, I hardly think I'm an island, either.

If LHG's nature is caustic (I've only seen a handful of his vids), one could easily say, "...so is Torvalds'" But, it is a passionate one, and I think most people will understand that as such.

1 Like

I hope and believe that will be changing soon through Vavle, SteamOS, and Vulkan. We shall see. ;)

I think what helped is you came into it with the right attitude and expectations. Most people don't get that Windows and Linux are fundamentally different from each other. Both in architecture and philosophy the differences are rather large.

I feel the same what Linux gaming has gotten to the point that I don't need Windows any more for personal use. Still need it for work though (industrial automation).

Once you start adding in things like Samba/NFS, owbcloud, SSH/VNC with multiple Linux/BSD boxes it becomes almost a fully seamless and integrated experience.

I like the way Louis Rossman puts it. He is the owner of a laptop+phone repair/service store in NYC. He talks about the Fs of software. Free as in free beer, Free as in freedom, and Free as in free time.

Use what tool works best for you.

6 Likes

Never heard of Vulkan... I miss my Linux partition so much it's unreal. Nothing beats the Cinnamon and KDE desktop with Debian and SUSE.

Can't wait until Adobe starts Linux support... I'd be down with Linux for everything then.

1 Like

Vulkan is the new graphics API replacing OpenGL. In combination with Source2 and the push for SteamOS/Steam machines it will hopefully bring many improvements to Linux gaming.

Have you tried Lightworks? I'm a total noobsicle when it comes to video/image/music production. I've heard it has a sharp learning curve but is one of the more robust and powerful editing suites out there. They have monthly, yearly, and lifetime licenses available for the Pro version. The free version has everything the Pro version has with the exception of output format and resolution.

OK I'll bite. What works better on linux than on a decently built machine running windows. All my back catalogue would require WINE which...Well, let's be honest is a joke. Libre office is a joke. Installing drivers, and updates through a distro like ubuntu...Is a joke. Getting my libraries customised in a way that I like is a joke - in short, Linux as it is right now is a joke.

Look. Despite the opening, I'm not anti linux - I'm actually completely in favour of an open, ubiquitous codebase that does everything a person requires the operating system to do in the home - the problem is with OSX and Linux, is that neither do that; they make excellent workstations; the problem is that they don't make excellent multimedia suites. And no. Don't cite XBMC/Kodi as easy to get up and running - in the wrong hands it can be a god damned nightmare...The wrong hands being the average end user that couldn't give a flying crap about what software is on their PC, and just wants their system to work.

That is why Valve have completely screwed the pooch for themselves and probably the linux foundation in the process; How many people are going to invest in the stupidly priced hardware or even built their own? It's aimed at the average console user after all. Even with someone like me, who has 350+ games in my library? Do you seriously think I'm going to rely on the charity of others to create WINE containers for my games, and even guarantee that ALL of them will get the same treatment? Why should I? I have a legitimate Windows 8.1 licence, and will be getting Windows 10 gratis...So I ask you again; what could Linux possibly offer average people, when a much simpler system exists?