My Devember 2k22 - A whisk(e)y distillery simulator

Hello everybody.
No matter if L1T makes an official thread or not - I will damn well try to do something.
First things first:

I, The Grumpy Squirrel, will participate to this year’s Devember. My Devember will be an attempt at coding a videogame. I promise I will at least try to program for my Devember for at least an hour, every day of the next December. I will also write a daily public devlog and will make the produced code publicly available on the internet. No matter what, I will keep my promise.

Now a few weeks ago GOG was having a giveaway. They were gifting this game for free:

It’s a lovely little game about having your own winery and making your own wines and stuff. It’s lovely, altho it have a lot of issues. So since I am not into wines all that much, I can’t try and replicate this game. I am into whisk(e)y. So I can try and replicate that.
The idea is to have 99% text and menu based game with a plethora of options. And since it’s pretty much a lot of small options having small changes I can split those into small individual goals and push through one little goal at a time.

The breakdown of the task at hand is as follows:

• Choice of starting location - USA, Schotland, Japan, India, etc etc. Each of them will give you positives and negatives…
  • Different ingredients and combinations between them - Corn, barley, rye, etc etc… Each one will add extra flavors.
  • Different processes - pot stills, column stills, peated/unpeated, malted/unmalted, double/triple distilation etc etc.
  • Different ageing barrels - fresh unused wood, charred, rum cask, sherry cask, bourbon cask, PX barrels, quarter casks, finishing, etc etc…

The idea is, that each of those options will give different effect and flavor to the whisk(e)y. The final product will literally be a calculation of all the applied effects.
Those are the basics I want to implement.
I would also implement different bottles and labels, selling to large blenders who will just buy bulk and will give you easy access to extra funds, Marketing budget, etc etc…
If things go well maybe growing your own grains, so you don’t depend that much on the grain market…
But all those are way way lower in the priority list.

Since it’s a management game it will all be based on menus and buttons, so no real graphics design to distract me from the coding. I will just find a nice clean menu graphics and be done with it.

I will try and post updates on every major milestone, and maybe some minor milestones.

14 Likes

Good luck, Pete!

4 Likes

New status required.

5 Likes

I’m interested in this, will you be sharing the game so others can try it out?

1 Like

Yeah! Go pete!
Will it be the same type of gameplay as terroir or game dev tycoon or will you be making a first person title? :grin:

2 Likes

That’s the plan…

:confetti_ball: :partying_face: :confetti_ball:

A lot like terroir… You take action and then this action takes effect.
You will basically play as master distiller and pick up flavors and combinations and releasing bottles and so on.
I am thinking about a way to create your own bottles… We shall see how this will go, cause I won’t have the time to do all I want, so I may just make a few bottles for basic choices and that would be that…

4 Likes

:+1:

1 Like

Will you be making it with Unreal Engine? :smiling_imp:

1 Like

Yes, with real time ray tracing for the font…

6 Likes

Epic will be pleased :christmas_tree:

1 Like

As much as I hate Epic, their UE is really good at what it does.

If you dont want to pay royalties, maybe try the Godot Engine?

3 Likes

I have no problems with Epic, in fact I have given them a lot of money for cosmetics in Fortnite :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

But the UE is an impressive piece of basically free software

1 Like

Mkay, day 1…
I have found those absolutely not CC0 assets, but I don’t plan to sell the game, so whatever…

There are a couple wood texture backgrounds as well I will use.
So today is entirely spent on preparing graphics assets…

1 Like

I was thinking about starting location selection…
Scotland and Ireland are a given.
Tennessee is one, the rest of US is another one…
I also added India.
I was thinking of adding Japan, maybe China, Taiwan and South Africa…
I want to give variety.
And each location will give bonuses.
Those are all just extra numbers, so not really a huge thing to add another location.

So maybe I will just start with a few and if need be I will move on to adding more.
I will add Japan tho, cause the rules of Japanese whisk(e)y will allow some pretty interesting gameplay mechanics…

2 Likes

Ohh, a new Idle game? Me Likey! And already planning DLC like euro truck? Very nice!

And you have (borrowed) assets? Then the game is already as finished as half the “early access” games being sold at full price….

Seriously though, good luck with the project man!

3 Likes

If anything, keep it simple with established areas… Can apply other regions later, as "New ‘Dirt Patches’ "

Scotland - Mainland
Scotland - Islands
Ireland
US - Kentucky
US - Tennessee
Japan

5 Likes

Agreed. Make foundational work on one location, then expand with others accordingly. Otherwise you’ll plan yourself out into oblivion

3 Likes

The trick is to sell expansion packs at high prices before the game ever comes out as v 1.0

3 Likes

1 location: Various Grains
Sourcing –
Local grown → add in one new perk; escalate or reduce an existing property [both RnG]
Outside sourced → baseline properties

1 Like

1 Pete, 2 grains

2 Likes