My Devember 2k22 - A whisk(e)y distillery simulator

In b4 Pete breaks the Internet

5 Likes

Don’t jinx it…

2 Likes

Pete’s Internet, Public….

as in, Public Forum, Pete, only with the internet…

2 Likes

I was thinking either buying grain or growing your own…
Then I thought buying malt in the early game and building your own maltings facilities… Meaning you can sell malted grains to others, but that also requires grains, and then peated and unpeated malt…
We will see…
For now I need the basic mechanics nailed down…

3 Likes

Day 2…
Already spent over an hour prepping more graphical thingies…
Started building the main menu screen, but now I need to choose a font:

What font shall I be using?

0 voters

One of those would be the main font, used in the most of the game, so yeah…
Pick one…

3 Likes

Damn I’m stuck between 1 [for cleanliness] and 3 [for that rough field notes look]
https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=https%3A%2F%2Fmedia3.giphy.com%2Fmedia%2FL0wacDWT0rK13zyyLm%2F200.gif%3Fcid%3D790b7611qalgd230ltd8b9de96uwwfqor290jkb6cevw9ovi%26rid%3D200.gif%26ct%3Dg&f=1&nofb=1&ipt=531f4533fb0dc6cc676172e955437e2c92af4badebfcec196f491c0ac19fd81b&ipo=images

1 Like

OK, this one Hello World sentence is way too short to properly represent each font…
I will play around and write a short paragraph with each font so we can all get a better visual representation…

PS: Updated, and now that I look at them I don’t like any :smile:

7 Likes

It might need a mix- one for headings/titles/page tops, and another for body.

I prefer 1 for headings/buttons/top of page/stuff
and 4 for like paragraphs of text to read and stuff, if that makes sense?

1 Like

#2 is basically Comic Sans. Please don’t. lol

Other options for your consideration

This is pretty readable as far as handwriting fonts go for large paragraphs of text

You could also do something like this for the main title and large headings, and use an old-looking serif font like Garamond for body text:

5 Likes

Day 3…
Today I started placing some locations on the map.
Still working through the main menu and “level select”.
Did some very basic “polishing”, as in used some royalty free images to make the game look better…

I thought about a system, where I can generate the color of the final whisk(e)y product, based on the grains used, barrels used, extra colorings added etc etc…
I also planned a flavor wheel that will show the generated flavors of your whisk(e)y.
I am currently planning a way for the user to design their own bottles by segmenting different parts of the bottle and frankensteining together the selection. So you can build whatever bottle you want.

But today I will limit miself to the level select.

4 Likes

Looks great. I’m ‘game’!

2 Likes

I didn’t know Ireland’s that far south. :wink:

1 Like

The menu reminds me a lot of the good old days when games were finished off the disk :slight_smile:

1 Like

The green part is oirish…

Sadly the screenshots doesn’t grab the mouse cursor.
There is a lot of mouse over effects in this game…

2 Likes

I was thinking about the flavor wheel I can use to base the game around.
I will use this one.
It is simple, I know, it lacks a lot of flavors, but here’s the thing:
it’s a simple game made in a month. This covers the basics and with time I can add more flavors to it. For a start this is even more than enough.
I will also add a couple more things like sweetness and sharpness, that will be determent by the distillation and maturation processes and will not be included in the wheel.

4 Likes

A little critique, what does “oily” mean? Isnt that, like more of a texture? Is the oil referring to Sandalwood oil, coconut oil or crude oil?

Dried fruit also seems vague? Dried apple and dried orange will overlap with citrus and apple?

2 Likes

I will revise the wheel. Will also add and remove some flavours cause 12 directions are easier for me to code than 9…

I guess it is more of a texture than a flavour…

I do know that. It’s weird you went with “dried fruits” being vague rather than all the fruits other than the apples and citrus missing from the wheel.

Look, I am making this game in a month or two, so I don’t really have the time to program every single fruit…
I’m still doing a poop ton of research about stills, malting, grain selection and combinations, wood used in ageing process, different combinations, off flavors, etc etc etc…

I want to build all the mechanics into the game, but they will all be fairly simple.

2 Likes

Coming from the wine industry these flavour descriptions are more about having a formalised set of descriptors for flavour traits so that people can talk to each other and be on the same page. You need to train to learn how to identify and describe these flavours, so it’s less about what it subjectively tastes like to the individual, if that makes sense.

3 Likes

I used to work at a place who was into liquor. We got wine that was not drinkable (sulfur) and I made it 195 proof! It was 14 distillations. I used to make beer and ale! I was a chemist who liked to make liquor!

2 Likes

Day 5…
I skipped posting on Day 4, cause I didn’t do much. I did some fluff text writing, did some extra polish work and bug fixing…
Today I started working on the main game.
Started with the tutorial message system. Basically the tutorial object will introduce the player to every new feature in a game with a short message and create the new buttons and features as you go.
This way I will be able to control both the pace of the game, so I don’t throw a new player in the deep end with a bunch of menus and confusing graphs and shit, while also helping me develop every feature as they are needed.
Also that way I will have a comprehensive tutorial, that can teach the eventual players about both whisk(e)y and the game.

Also I kinda need a game.
Distillery Simulator is always an option, but if someone comes up with something better it will be great…

3 Likes