My dad wants to put bloat on my PC HELP

Run Linux in a VM and when he tries to install the software he won't be able to.

2 Likes

Now that, is a good idea.

How about instead of preventing him from doing it you help him to do it.
Google chrome spies on you pretty well. Have him use that. All he has to do to see the websites you go to is log into w/e account is used on your chrome.

That's how it works. Isn't it?

lol, you're hilarious. im sure calling the cops on your dad isnt gona make life a living hell in your dad's house. stop giving bad advice like it's good advice. why you trying to fuck up a little kids life? kinda lame dude.

1 Like

I'm simply saying that he could do it, and would legally be in the right as far as I know.

What he should do, is sit down and say, "it's not your computer, you didn't pay for it, it belongs to me, so no." Which is what an adult would do, if someone asked if they could install spyware on their computer. Or at least that's the polite way of saying it.

Also, ask "why don't you trust me? Have I given you any reason to not trust me?" etc.

I'm not entirely sure that it would actually bypass anything, because VM still runs on the host. If the host is gimped, then you swill might be having the same issues on the guest OS.

Bridged networking gives the VM its own ip address. It may hide the traffic from the host a bit.

Which assumes that you actually have second IP to use. Which would depend on ISP.

Or alternatively you would have to do some deep level voodoo with device configurations. Which might be way beyond anyone at age of 13. Hell ... it would be probably way beyond anyone with less than 5 year experience as a professional sysadmin.

yeah, again, he's not an adult, he's 13.
whever man. good luck op.

Hard for someone to become an adult, or act like a responsible adult, when you judge their adulthood based solely on an arbitrary number of revolutions around the sun the planet has made, instead of accepting adult like behavior.

He could run the VM when his father tries to install the software, not after the gimped is. Or he could do a backup and just restore from it after the fact.

1 Like

Gotta love that restore point function that windows has. Save my ass once when I messed up a minecraft mod (back before that new launcher came out)

Time for a list:

1. If you're running a laptop then this is a big no-no. If you're running a desktop I would still not recommend it.
  2. The only thing he should be monitoring is your internet usage because he's paying for the internet while you paid for the PC. That's all. Nothing has to be installed on your PC.
  3. It's your $800 that's at stake here.
  4. You are living in his house, his rules, so, there's that.

This is probably the best advice. There's even chrome extensions that keep your internet usage down by telling you that you have to take a break.

4 Likes

lol, again, GET REAL. no matter how 'adult' (also as arbitary as age) he acts, he's still 13 and in no way or form, an adult.

1 Like

lol, are you serious dude?

Your point? The PC is still belongs to him and not to his dad.

People can't become responsible adults, if you never give them the chance to be responsible, as a child gets older, you have to lengthen that leash a little more each year until you finally let them off of the leash and they become an "adult".

Try thinking about something, rather than just saying "GET REAL", you know, act like an adult and not a child.

spoken just like someone who's not an adult.
if you were an adult you wouldn't be recommending something as foolish as a child seek legal recourse against his father.

Right, because forming an argument that consists of more than "GET REAL" and an insult, is childish.

when did i insult you?