My 4K experience with the GTX 1080 Ti

First off let me say the card I have is a PNY GTX 1080 Ti FE (blower style card). It wouldn't have been my first choice but the price was right for a card purchased in Canada. It cost $899.99 plus tax.

In regards to installation it was a tight fit but so glad that PNY put the power connections on the side of the card and not at the end. If they were at the end I would have had to put this in another case. Btw the case I am using is the HAF 912 and currently all testing I am doing is with the case sides off. I just am too lazy to put them back on right now.

As for my pc's specs -

i5 2500K at 4 GHz (I think but benchmark software was reporting otherwise.)
8 GB of DDR3 ram
Gigabyte mobo (supports PCI-E 2.0)

In regards to the hardware I assume there will be a bottleneck situation but will be pushing this cpu back to a higher OC especially if I end up with an AIO cpu water cooler in the future. I also will be considering a new case. However right now I hope that at some point I can use my NCIX Rewards to get it.

OS - Windows 7 64 bit

Already I am thinking of upgrading to Windows 10 as I assume that certain features of the card are Windows 10 only. Direct X 12 I believe is what I am thinking of.

Here is my first benchmark score. This was for Valley Benchmark Unigine (2013 - Free Version).

4K max. settings Direct X 11-

Time: 189.083
Frames: 7675
FPS: 40.5907
Min FPS: 23.0298
Max FPS: 75.0068
Score: 1698.32

Temperature when running this set itself at 83 to 84 degrees (Celsius?). The fan settings for the card were whatever the auto settings are for it. The card specs shown in the software were 1911 for graphics and 5505 for memory.

1080p max. settings Direct X 11-

Time: 189.109
Frames: 21128
FPS: 111.724
Min FPS: 34.3657
Max FPS: 168.882
Score: 4674.54

1911 for graphics and 5505 for memory again but in regards to temperatures they were in the 60s and 70s degrees Celsius. I think the maximum was 74 degrees Celsius. Fan settings were also whatever the auto is for the card.

2 Likes

Heaven 3.0 Benchmark Unigine (2009 - Free Version)

4K max. settings Direct X 11-

Time: 260.559
Frames: 9737
FPS: 37.3696
Min FPS: 7.6738
Max FPS: 85.1534
Score: 941.34

The card specs were again 1911 for graphics and 5505 for memory. As for the temperature it got hotter than with the last benchmark run reaching 87 degrees Celsius at one point. Also the fan settings were whatever the card has as auto settings.

1080p max. settings Direct X 11-

Time: 260.623
Frames: 34897
FPS: 133.898
Min FPS: 23.6218
Max FPS: 241.989
Score: 3372.9

1911 for graphics and 5505 for memory were the cards specs again and as for temperature I didn't pay attention as I wanted to hear Sappy by Nirvana and went into the family room to listen to it while my pc did it's thing here.

You should try the Kite demo for unreal engine.
https://forums.unrealengine.com/showthread.php?142712-where-I-can-download-the-quot-A-Boy-and-His-Kite-quot-demo-Can-anyone-please-leave-a-download-link

Surprising that you couldn't hit 50fps in the valley benchmark.

1 Like

I will give what you mentioned a try. As for 50 FPS in Valley at 4K I guess that is something to aim for? I will try some different things in time to reach that like raising my video cards numbers from 1911/5505 and definitely overclocking the cpu more. I assume that my i5 2500K is a pretty big bottleneck.

.... and holy crap is that game they have for free kind of fun. It shows off 4K nicely.

1 Like

I downloaded it twice and could not get it to work. : S

Just a question, what speed is your ram?

1600 to 2133 sees a really nice lift in fps

there is a bit in there of 1600 vs 2133

2 Likes

I can guarantee you it is not 1600 or 2133. It is being run in dual channel though. I also see in that video that I should really bump my OC up to 4.5 GHz. I have done that before but I got to find my instructions on all that needs to be done so it gets done right. : ) So I guess I have some things to do this weekend. Btw thanks for sharing this video as it is helpful for sure.

Ok I am already seeing my video game library needs an upgrade. Pretty hard to do with the money limited for awhile. I have seen that all the games that truly are 4K are really new titles although I believe there is version of Skyrim that has 4K textures and Dishonored I believe is another game that has truly added 4K. I have both of those in my library I think. Any like I said I really need to get these newer games. Hopefully some of my stuff online will sell as I just lowered the price on many.

Oh and as for needing help in regards to games...

Anyone know of free to play games that are true 4K? Also are there any not so new games that have added 4K / HDR that make a significant difference in how they look?

Here's what I got, although my rig isn't meant for 4k, just really good 1080p gaming. :stuck_out_tongue:

From watching my system readings, the CPU was hardly doing anything. Like (20%). This test is hella GPU bound.

1 Like

I wish I had your cpu kind of and definitely the ram. As for the test being GPU bound I definitely am glad to hear that as really I am looking at what this GPU can do. I am interested in figuring out what a bottleneck is. I really don't know how to check for that.

in msi afterburner, you can set a temperature target,
and the card will never go above that limit.
i set mine to 67c so my cards flutter at 66

2 Likes

I have used that one quite a bit in the past but wondered if things had changed and if something else was better. As for temperatures and fan speeds. I don't mind a loud card so I'd rather ramp the fans up and get more from the card but with mine being a blower card I doubt I can get much of an OC. Do you or anyone else know what I should aim for?

set your own personal fan curve,
here is mine

below 45c the fans are OFF (only some cards let you do that)
between 45c and 55c they are limited to 55% max speed
if they get to 60'c the fans max out
i STILL use the 66-67c limitation on the program,
reason: IF the fans or cooler ever have an ISSUE. the card will Auto Throttle and Never go past 66c

You won't be able to overclock it at all no.

If you don't care about noise than max it out. TBH though under heavy load it will still probably throttle. The blowers are not good...

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/1003592/overclocking/settings-for-a-stable-and-cool-overclock-for-my-geforce-1080-ti-/

Power limit: 120%
Temp limit: 90 C
Core clock offset: +150
Memory clock offset: +300

It seems with many articles the only way to get anything is to run the fan max. all the time. I would do that if I didn't live with tenants upstairs who are annoying and will likely complain about the noise. I guess I will run it like that when they are out.

HardOCP seemed to get a little something extra out of FE cards with the GTX 1070 and GTX 1080.

I will take what I can get with an OC. Every frame counts and in some games here it was better than I expected based on what people have said about the FE cards.

Now in regards to being under a heavy load do you mean full load? I doubt you do but hell nobody sees anything under full load unless they are testing an OC.

As for blowers not being good yeah you told me that and I understand. Now with that said though can one get an AIO water cooling solution for a FE card later on?

That's really too hot...

Meh it will honestly prob be less than 1-3 frames and if you start thermal throttling forget it... I'd honestly leave it stock and undervolt instead to get the temperatures and noise down. Besides you're prob CPU bottle necking anyway in some cases so you won't see the gains anyway

Yes I mean full load.

Wut... Yes you do.... In a demanding game at 4K, unless your CPU is bottlenecking, your GPU will be at full load.

Yes.

EVGA does have a Hybrid kit available for the 1080 Ti... However you will prob void your warranty installing it

2 Likes

Thanks for your help. As for the 90 degrees Celsius yeah that is hot. LOL!

Yeah I wouldn't be comfortable running it at that for an extended period of time. It may be okay but man it could damage it too

I know the card hit a high of 87 degrees Celsius the other day when running one of the bench marking programs I installed. It also stayed pretty high at 4K max. settings always in the 80s I believe. Now the thing is I was using the default fan setup and like I have said before I don't mind noise. In fact right now where my pc is you would not believe how loud the AC is running. I can hear it in my bedroom as that is where the furnace, AC and water whatever are and there is no door on the spot where they are despite it being easy to do. I am not going to ask the landlord to do it though as the noise will drown out my fans running high. LOL!