[MSI Z97-G45] Forgotten BIOS password

although MisteryAngel already said...

The UP0104S turns out to be a relatively commonly used ACPI controller from UPI-Semi - not a power (driver/regulator) chip as @MisteryAngel guesstimated but also not something that would store any data.

Well, you could go through the other 8+ pin chips scattered around on the board but I think the thing we're after is most likely tucked away in the SPI flash. If you have a friend/colleague/acquaintance being well-versed in electronics or there's a well-equipped repair-shop around in your town/city - you could always try to hook up to the SPI flash with a few test-leads (should work without soldering the chip off the board) to try and dump the contents chip to see if you can find, and subsquently erase, the stored password. I linked the datasheet of the chip-series above, so any half-way decent electronics engineer/hobbyist should be able to work it out.

...unless MisteryAngel's tip about trying to call MSI's helldesk results in some solution.

In case you have to read or reflash it, the SPI flash seems to be supported by the "flashrom" utility:
https://www.flashrom.org/Supported_hardware

If you have a Raspberry Pi you could run flashrom on it and hook up the chip to the SPI GPIO pins on the RPi.

@SpaceCat Have you tried applying a bios update to see if that will clear it.

Yep.

i remember there being tools that let you brute force the bios password. give me a day or two and ill see if i can find one for msi.

The information i could find on the chip tels me its a power regulator from upi sem con.

Something I've seen mention of in a couple places is that overloading the keyboard buffer can produce interesting results (by pressing esc key over like, 100 times, per se).
I might just take this as an excuse to go bash my keyboard out of frustration for a bit.

3 Likes

can you get me a picture of the bios screen?

EDIT: also look into Hirens boot cd. there is a bios password cracker in there.

http://www.hirensbootcd.org/download/

whacha mean by the "bios screen"?
The prompt for a password?

the password screen.

in the bottom right is the code "A8", becomes "D8" if I get the wrong password 3 times in a row.
Definitions for these codes are found here: LINK
Just "Setup Verifying Password", then "Invalid password".

if you can boot into cd or usb then try hirens boot cd.

Well, you've gotten th 42nd post in this thread of headache so it might just be the answer to life, the universe, and hopefully this. Sticking it on a USB following instructions given here:

http://www.hirensbootcd.org/usb-booting/

"Damn" :(

Tried "BIOS cracker 5.0". Told me the passwords were all disabled ("(disabled)").

Those password crackers will most likely not work.
They might have worked back in the legacy era.

best bet would be too contact msi. you could go ahead and try some of the other tools in hirensbootcd and try some of the other tools.

A post was split to a new topic: [MSI Z97-G45] Forgotten BIOS password continued

Topic starter is not a user on the forum anymore.

I would recommend to start your own topic about the issue.