Msi x470 gaming plus max no audio

“nothing” means it ran correctly. Has the flashing stopped?

I dont have pipewire insatlled

ok good, f that trash. If pulse is no longer freaking out, ensure once again the other interface is set to off and try some audio.

I rebooted, for now yes

lol well if you were going to reboot there was no need to kill pulse lol. OK so no audio still?

no audio, btw, in alsamixer, surround, center and lfe, I cant up the volume there

Is is set to the correct interface? Still the realtek? Again sorry if this seems DUH but you seem new to Linux and this can be very tricky because routing and positional logic is in play.

This is kinda a bad analogy but in a way this is like having a full PA set up. If someone doesn’t know the power amp has a volume and they have the board cranked and are angry there is no sound then…

realtek yes
unmute yes in pulse audio, btw I reach my maxcimum reply for new user, I have to wait 21 hours :wink:

so I can continue here, editing that window

maybe my audio card has a problem, I have the msi x470 gaming plus max motherboard. The sound is low as fuck here, and everything seems to be at 100%

the speakers are brand new and on my other pc, it is working great, laptop on debian

Had to step away for a few. When you said the other machine is working great does that mean you have TWO x470G+ boards and one works fine?

I dont know, it is adell laptop, just plug and play and the music was there

Balls I hate that limit…ffs really screws someone asking for help.

I meant the LFE,center,surround unmuted in alsamixer.

Sadly your symptoms are similar to where alsamixer has the master muted or set super low so pulse can be on 0db but still silent or quiet. I have seen this sooo many times across so many machines. So far Mint seems to be less crap for this than Ubuntu but there is clearly a step still outta place. I really wish I could fish through things in order to ensure everything is lined up right. However I’m starting to wonder if this isn’t like the Intel HD audio BS on some MacBooks. Seen, modules load, mixers all set up right…still no audio or super quiet scratchy BS from the speakers.

1 Like

Are you sure the issue isn’t your speakers? Can you try some headphones to rule the speakers out?

Had to step away for a few. When you said the other machine is working great does that mean you have TWO x470G+ boards and one works fine?

Ah your wording made it sound like you had TWO systems with the same board AND the laptop. Yes well you can’t compare them they are completely different so the laptop working has no relevance to the desktop.

While you may have a defective audio chip I doubt it. However this has been a bit of a whirlwind where I can’t fully trust things without going over them myself…and I can’t do that. I’d suggest just for funzies try a something like a Garuda or EndevorOS installer, run the live system off the USB / flash drive and just see if you get audio.

Sorry for the delay it won’t notify me of your edits.

Sadly this will be a slog until you can post normally again. However I was going to say this is sadly where having some screen sharing would be handy. Not screen shots ;p. Just would be nice to be able to say ok Open this, click that while watching and seeing things to ensure sequence is OK and nothing stupid happens when you do something that I know is an issue but you don’t (yet) since you’re new to all this. Some of the previous discussion kinda seems like things sequence wise are off so when you turn one thing on something else kills it or adds a problem. The pulse trying to reconnect sounds like it was latched on to the wrong interface and despite IT being the thing used to toggle it off it still didn’t clue in…something is def odd…but while Mint is pretty stock Debian it might have some quirks I’m not aware of. I know the pulse GUI is different…If you can try the Garuda or Endevor Iso’s lemme know how it goes…when you can post again.

You alive? Post can you now?

Make sure audio cable and PC have a tight connection. Check the audio port indicator in [Realtek Audio Console]. If there is no any audio device plugin. Please switch another external speaker and try the same step again.

If your MSI laptop has speaker no sound, please check is there any other audio device connected to the computer’s headphone jack. If yes, please pull out the sound device and check again. If not connected any audio devices, please check “System Setting” and “Re-install the Driver”.

Could you like not be a dick to people

Part of me wants to say CHeck bios version, the rest of me says linux mint is still trash, use ubunto mate and you’ll be ok.

But thats my two cebts, each worth a penny

Or keep getting kicked in the dick by this guy idk

I am guessing you went to linux afterthe ltt vids?

I do not know that motherboard but it sounds to me like it could be a case where we need another quirk in Linux itself. There is probably something wrong with the HDA Coeffs or the connector list. You could run the following as root:

# Enable Coef dumping
echo 1 > /sys/module/snd_hda_codec/parameters/dump_coef
# Dump alsa information (needs alsa-utils package)
alsa-info

And post the result file here or on pastebin. Maybe then someone could look into the problem.

1 Like

@Molydoly you should probably read through a thread before you say pointless things ;p

@ninjanoir78 Did you try EndevorOS or Garuda live systems and see if the chip is initialized correctly?

Yeah a while back I said everything seems to be set up right but still not working and how that reminded me of one of those iMac Intel HD issues, quirks as they are. Needs to pass a magic param to make it actually work work.

I have been using a X470 Gaming Plus (BIOS: 7B79vAG; the one after that has issues with the 10Gbps usb ports for me) since soon after the Ryzen 5 3600 launched, i have never had a issue using the onboard audio (just using 2.0 speakers), it just works (Xubuntu 18.04, Kubuntu 22.04)

$ sudo lspci -vv
29:00.4 Audio device: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Starship/Matisse HD Audio Controller
        Subsystem: Micro-Star International Co., Ltd. [MSI] Starship/Matisse HD Audio Controller
        Control: I/O- Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B- DisINTx+
        Status: Cap+ 66MHz- UDF- FastB2B- ParErr- DEVSEL=fast >TAbort- <TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR- INTx-
        Latency: 0, Cache Line Size: 64 bytes
        Interrupt: pin D routed to IRQ 44
        IOMMU group: 23
        Region 0: Memory at fc800000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=32K]
        Capabilities: [48] Vendor Specific Information: Len=08 <?>
        Capabilities: [50] Power Management version 3
                Flags: PMEClk- DSI- D1- D2- AuxCurrent=0mA PME(D0+,D1-,D2-,D3hot+,D3cold+)
        Capabilities: [64] Express (v2) Endpoint, MSI 00
                DevCap: MaxPayload 256 bytes, PhantFunc 0, Latency L0s <4us, L1 unlimited
                        ExtTag+ AttnBtn- AttnInd- PwrInd- RBE+ FLReset+ SlotPowerLimit 0.000W
                DevCtl: CorrErr- NonFatalErr- FatalErr- UnsupReq-
                        RlxdOrd+ ExtTag+ PhantFunc- AuxPwr- NoSnoop+ FLReset-
                        MaxPayload 256 bytes, MaxReadReq 512 bytes
                DevSta: CorrErr- NonFatalErr- FatalErr- UnsupReq- AuxPwr- TransPend-
                LnkCap: Port #0, Speed 16GT/s, Width x16, ASPM L0s L1, Exit Latency L0s <64ns, L1 <1us
                        ClockPM- Surprise- LLActRep- BwNot- ASPMOptComp+
                LnkCtl: ASPM Disabled; RCB 64 bytes, Disabled- CommClk+
                        ExtSynch- ClockPM- AutWidDis- BWInt- AutBWInt-
                LnkSta: Speed 16GT/s (ok), Width x16 (ok)
                        TrErr- Train- SlotClk+ DLActive- BWMgmt- ABWMgmt-
                DevCap2: Completion Timeout: Range ABCD, TimeoutDis+ NROPrPrP- LTR-
                         10BitTagComp+ 10BitTagReq- OBFF Not Supported, ExtFmt- EETLPPrefix-
                         EmergencyPowerReduction Not Supported, EmergencyPowerReductionInit-
                         FRS- TPHComp+ ExtTPHComp-
                         AtomicOpsCap: 32bit- 64bit- 128bitCAS-
                DevCtl2: Completion Timeout: 50us to 50ms, TimeoutDis- LTR- OBFF Disabled,
                         AtomicOpsCtl: ReqEn-
                LnkSta2: Current De-emphasis Level: -3.5dB, EqualizationComplete- EqualizationPhase1-
                         EqualizationPhase2- EqualizationPhase3- LinkEqualizationRequest-
                         Retimer- 2Retimers- CrosslinkRes: unsupported
        Capabilities: [a0] MSI: Enable+ Count=1/1 Maskable- 64bit+
                Address: 00000000fee00000  Data: 0000
        Capabilities: [100 v1] Vendor Specific Information: ID=0001 Rev=1 Len=010 <?>
        Capabilities: [150 v2] Advanced Error Reporting
                UESta:  DLP- SDES- TLP- FCP- CmpltTO- CmpltAbrt- UnxCmplt- RxOF- MalfTLP- ECRC- UnsupReq- ACSViol-
                UEMsk:  DLP- SDES- TLP- FCP- CmpltTO- CmpltAbrt- UnxCmplt- RxOF- MalfTLP- ECRC- UnsupReq- ACSViol-
                UESvrt: DLP+ SDES+ TLP- FCP+ CmpltTO- CmpltAbrt- UnxCmplt- RxOF+ MalfTLP+ ECRC- UnsupReq- ACSViol-
                CESta:  RxErr- BadTLP- BadDLLP- Rollover- Timeout- AdvNonFatalErr-
                CEMsk:  RxErr- BadTLP- BadDLLP- Rollover- Timeout- AdvNonFatalErr+
                AERCap: First Error Pointer: 00, ECRCGenCap- ECRCGenEn- ECRCChkCap- ECRCChkEn-
                        MultHdrRecCap- MultHdrRecEn- TLPPfxPres- HdrLogCap-
                HeaderLog: 00000000 00000000 00000000 00000000
        Capabilities: [2a0 v1] Access Control Services
                ACSCap: SrcValid- TransBlk- ReqRedir- CmpltRedir- UpstreamFwd- EgressCtrl- DirectTrans-
                ACSCtl: SrcValid- TransBlk- ReqRedir- CmpltRedir- UpstreamFwd- EgressCtrl- DirectTrans-
        Capabilities: [370 v1] Transaction Processing Hints
                Device specific mode supported
                Steering table in TPH capability structure
        Kernel driver in use: snd_hda_intel
        Kernel modules: snd_hda_intel

the only issue i have had with audio is the power save feature in the drive making audio fade in

$ cat /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf | tail -3
# https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?pid=1766206#p1766206
options snd_hda_intel power_save=0
options snd_hda_intel power_save=0 power_save_controller=N

You have made sure you plugged into the correct 3.5mm jack right? (the middle one at the edge of the I/O)