MSI R9 390 overclocking - did I do it right?

So, I got my 390 yesterday, and I've had today to waste doing whatever. So I decided to venture out into the world of overclocking. I've only fiddled with MSI afterburner, so hopefully if I have done something stupid it's not damaged anything.

Settings in that are as follows:

Temps according to GPU-Z (because MSI afterburner won't show me VRM temps?):
GPU temps at load (in heaven) are no more than 75 degrees.
VRM temps at load (in heaven) are no more than 71 degrees.

I'll grab some heaven benchmarks later if what I've done is good and I haven't missed anything.

Atm though, with the settings above, I've done one heaven benchmark:

Bit better than the one I did at stock:

1 Like

what are the stock setting for the gpu before you messed about with overclocking also how did you oc it so did you up the core clock a little bit then run a heaven benchmark then up the core speed? or did you do it a diffferent way im asking this because i noticed your core voltage is at +100

Sorry, forgot to stick that in the OP.
I basically stuck the core voltage to +100mV, the power limit to +50% and then bumped up the core clock until I got unpleasant artifacting and such. Then I started bumping up the memory clock.
Took the advice of someone here.
Stock: 1060 MHz / 6100 (so 1525?) MHz (OC Mode)

Do 100+mv and +50 power limit and just see what you can get. Why 81mv when you can do 100mv?
JayzTwoCents says he was running what he thought would be the max OC that most people could obtain, and usually he maxes out the power limit and core voltage on AMD cards, so I'd assume his Core Voltage was +100mv. Plus that card has a great cooler, so I don't see why not run it at +100mv.
Raise the core voltage and give it a shot, maybe you can get a stable 1175.

Most people recommend upping the clock until the card becomes unstable and then upping the voltage after. Also, I know a lot of people say to use the temperature as your primary limit... at least on nvidia. I've never overclocked, but I have been researching a ton lately because I'm about to take the plunge. JayzTwoCents just posted a video that reaffirmed a lot of what I had determined from my readings and video watching. I'm glad you posted this because I just bought a Sapphire 290 Vapor-X and it'll be a good reference!

1 Like

Would just going from what I have now and trying to down the core voltage not have the same effect as bouncing between upping the core voltage and core clock? Bit less of a convoluted method, no?

Isn't 1.3v for a gpu really freaking high?
I mean like when I go 1.15v on my old 580 it turns into a nuclear reactor more or less.

Read an article on overclock.net about the average core could be pushed to ~1200 and the mem to 1600. So thats right in line with what I read.

Logically, I would agree with you. I've heard of both methods being used tho. This article explains a bit about why they feel you should go clock first, followed by voltage:

Two things:

One: I've noticed that VRM Temperature 2 in GPU-Z stays the same, all the time. It's at 72 degrees atm constantly.

Two: When I run heaven in OpenGL, at stock or overclocked, this happens:

Clouds rendering through terrain? the 390 8GB VRAM cards work best at 4k btw, 1080p will see little/no improvement over the previous generation.

It's not clouds. Trees mess up too:

It happens in valley too.

Scrub-a-dub-dub.

2 Likes

Well, I've done that and tried guru3D's driver removal tool too and it still no workey.

OpenGL bench on valley is fucked up like this on my HD7950 i suspect it's a driver or software issue my card has not had any problems in its 3 year life that ive had it.

1 Like

Ahk, won't bother trying to fix it then lol. It's only a benchmark I suppose.

Yup, 1.3 is terribly high without liquid cooling however even at stock my 7870 pulls 1.2v so I'd say 1.25v is a safe max.

LOL. Its just snow /s

Wow yep that's what I get. Will make a screenshot and try and match it tomorrow haha

Yep the card dosent give a crap about DX11 but open gl? dont know whats going on there lately.

(this one is compresed as its too big for the web page)