Monitor not getting signal from GPU

I have a reference cooled AMD RX480 which was working perfectly fine except all of a sudden it stopped working. The card it connected well to the PCI-E slot and it power connections are solid in both the card and the motherboard. The GPU itself still appears to be working as the fan is spinning, but I don't know for sure. The kicker is my monitor get signal perfectly from my motherboards HDMI using the iGPU. Any suggestions on what might fix the problem?

1 Like

My guess would be that the powersupply might be on the way out and isn't supplying enough power to the gpu.

I just got my PSU like two months ago and it's a tier one Silverstone that's 80+ Gold Certified. I'm not saying it couldn't be, but it seems unlikely to me.

Remember that there is a bath tub curve for parts failing, so being new is almost a negative

That's true, but my GPU was literally just working this morning that would be very sudden wouldn't it?

1 Like

2 questions.... Do you have pets? And did you check the bios to see whether the video card is set as initial/primary display output instead of the onboard or auto.

If you have pets try a different cable. I've seen some dividers on the card slots get in the way of hdmi cables to prevent them from seating well, and a cat or something would bump the cables just enough to move the cable so it isn't making sufficient contact. Most displayport cables have locking clips, and DVI has the screw posts.

Good questions

1 Like

I do have pet's but I have already tried another cable and that didn't fix the issue. Also yes my BIOS is set to use PCI0E based graphics. I also tried switching that setting to on board just for giggle, but the result was the same.

Does the bios see the gpu installed?

1 Like

Just out of curiosity where might one find that in the BIOS?

Depends on mobo but here is an example

1 Like

I'm checking to see now. I'm running an Asrock board so we shall see.

Edit: I did a BIOS update about a week ago should I try going back to the previous version?

Edit Two: No my BIOS is currently detecting that PCI-E lane one is empty...

Do you have a 2nd gpu to put in there or another slot you can put the gpu in?

No it's only a single GPU config and the board is mini-itx so it only has one PCI-E slot.

any pcie device at all, sound card/network device ect? Or do you have a 2nd computer you can move that GPU into

Nope the only other thing is my m.2 drive which is recognized and uses PCI-E lane bandwidth.

Try to reseat the video card?

If your power supply is modular, unplug and reseat the pcie power cables going to the card and going into the power supply and verify that they are being plugged into the right connectors on the power supply (i've seen a few modular psu's use the same connectors for accessory rails and the pcie connector, even worse they weren't keyed any differently)

Seeing mutation666's screenshot, another thing you may wanna take a peek at (if your uefi offers it) is the power monitoring. Some motherboard will actually show you the output from your power supply... look around in any overclocking/power/system health/monitoring section. It may provide some useful info. 12v, 3.3v, 5.0v, -12v (usually 11.8ish with no load), -3.3v and -5 as well. If it lists a 12v2 or something thats > 11.85v that points to psu.

You could also try moving the video card to another 16x slot if you have one.

if the power supply seems good (having another card with similar power draw would be handy), you're left with mobo & gpu. Unless the pc has been dropped and the weight of the card caused physical damage to the pcie slot, the video card would be most likely.

Hopefully its something silly, but if not, i wish you a swift rma, and careful handling from ups/fedex.

So the Issue is either Mobo/GPU or PSU

We cant test the GPU becasue you dont have another system to put it in to verify it is function

We cant test mobo (PCIe slot) Because you don't have another PCIE device to put in that slot

We cant test the PSU because you dont have a spare one to put in its place

Right I've already tried reseating the card and all other connections to no avail, but I'll try looking to see if my BIOS has some sort of power monitor.

What size psu is it? and can you do a full system build list