MisteryAngel‘s build thread help her pick

As we have seen in the past mistery can’t pick hardware for her build cause it’s not “perfect”

Help her out

6 Likes

3600x/3900x, x570 taichi, 32 gb ram, any ssd, a AMD gpu with good current linux support, a case and a 80+ gold psu of decent quality.

Slap a Volvo sticker on the case and call it a day :slight_smile:

8 Likes

For her a 3300x would probably be more than she could want.

3 Likes

I’m going to follow this one haha. :laughing:

7 Likes

what about a 8350 fx build :crazy_face:

Well as long as it can run Lindows…

2 Likes

But if have to get serious for a moment.

• Cpu: 3700X / 3900X.
  • Mobo: not yet decided on.
  • Gpu: 5700XT model not decided yet.
  • 2x16GB G.skill Trident Z 3600 CL16.
  • 750W / 850W Seasonic Focus Gold.
5 Likes

the 850wat while everyone screams about overkill i see quiet operation

i love seasonic for the quiet psu’s

5 Likes

a 3300x would be overkill, a 3900x would be dropping a nuke on a couple farmers coz they be hoarding oil

2 Likes

Yup exactly my thought.
Although i saw a 1000 Watt seasonic focus gold for like 20 euro’s more.
Which in that case wouldn’t be a bad investment when i ever consider,
a second gpu for pci-e passtrough.
Because that is something i definitely want to get into.
I know you don’t actually need two gpu’s for that i believe now days.
But it probably makes it a bit more convenient.

3 Likes

I always oversize my PSU on purpose. The more headroom you have, the less stressed the supply under load with dirty AC input.

2 Likes

thouggggghhhh there is a range of efficiency pulling 400watts ona. 1600 watt psu will greatly make the psu inefficient

so you go over but nothing extreme

1000watt psu with a ryzen 2200g apu is going to make a hot shit situation for that psu

1 Like

True. There is a sweet spot for each wattage range that you need to be pulling to keep the efficiency up.

2 Likes

3900x, I love mine and it is useful for many things. Such as code compiling, video editing/render, video transcoding/compression, gaming, vm. You could even do virtualization and have a nas built into your computer. For 5700xt

I might suggest b550 tomahawk?

2 Likes

Efficiency rating is overrated.

Not even a pun.

It’s like a 2% difference in efficiency at 20% load (min eff rating) to 50% load (max eff rating) for 80+ Gold. It would make sense if you had the PC on 24/7/365, but if you don’t I think it’s a moot point.

The one thing I will give to a larger PSU is that they are usually built to cool the higher wattage, so a larger PSU may run quieter.

3 Likes

too large and you hit a efficiency problem

https://www.newegg.com/tools/power-supply-calculator/

My 3950x has a 850 watt psu

My 3900x has a 650 watt psu

My suggestion is to go 200 or slightly more from the recommended wattage. This is because if you do any upgrades in the future you should be safe? But if the recommended wattage is 500-600 I wouldn’t go to 1200 watts.

4 Likes

Top Gear Top Tip: avoid using HyperX memory kits

1 Like

In my opinion an easy 100 watts to 200 watts over the estimated draw is a good spot. That would allow for some overclocking and/or growth down the road while also not hurting the wallet as much.

For a single CPU and single GPU (or even big GPU and little GPU) I think 650 watts 80+ Gold is right about the perfect balance of price, performance, and room for growth.

2 Likes

I have a 1200 watt Evga G2 for my 1900X and GTX 1080. Why?
Because it was a damn good deal :slight_smile:

1 Like