Minecraft Bedrock Server Lag

now the question is, since this is server equipment, how much of a pain is it to put a standard version of windows on it?

None at all actually.

But of you need free Windows server, they have their latest 2019 beta release for free. Just sign up for Windows insider.

I am currently downloading the ISO so as soon as I get a bigger flash drive I will try to do the install, hopefully this will fix the boosting issue

Thanks for keeping us updated

Well i was going to try to have a dual installation but windows wasn’t wanting to install because of gpd(?) Partitioning… so after a format it is installing now…

So going through the update process, it is boosting to 3ghz now though…

It does seem to run better on windows server 2019, the only lag we came across in testing in a minecraft world was going into an area with a lot of item frames with maps on them… i didnt have a hardware monitor running at the time so I dont know if specific core frequencies during the test. Will try to find that out after work when I can.

So here is a question, if I was to install the desktop version of ubuntu instead of the server version of ubuntu is it possible it would act better when trying to run a game server?

its possible, I don’t know Jack about linux compared to windows, there will be a hell of a lot less MS analytic funny business going on with the linux version if you can get it to Boost

No. If anything it would be worse due to the overhead of running all the desktop applications.

so should I try running it in a VM of windows or would that make any difference? I haven’t tried using a VM before…

what would be the purpose of running it in a vm here?

So a VM wouldn’t provide any additional performance, so I’m not sure why you’d want one.

If you’re looking to stick with Linux, I’d recommend staying far away from Ubuntu, since it’s doing stupid things with CPU performance governors right now and destroying it’s credibility as a stable and performant distribution.

My recommendation would be CentOS 8, server. I highly suspect you’ll see all your problems magically disappear on Linux by moving over to CentOS. At least with the CPU throttling issue.

1 Like

8 is what runs the L1T MC servers and it’s been very stable and performant.

I’ll gladly share my config if OP wants to go this route.

2 Likes

I wasn’t sure if running a VM would allow the CPU to boost like it should.

I will look into that, I have a trial of Windows Server 2019 on it right now and it did ok, I had always heard that Linux was better to use on servers because it was generally more stable then windows is. I have thought about trying to use freeNAS, but haven’t gotten there yet and wasn’t sure if I would be running into the same issue.

Freenas isn’t Linux so you wouldn’t be running your Minecraft bedrock edition in that. You’d have to run a bhyve VM of Linux anyway. Also not using a debian based distro means you’re in unsupported territory. If you find success then you should document it for others.

The issue of what’s causing your lag still isn’t clear. There’s a known bug for performance on 1.16. blaming the CPU governor or the distro are not actual solutions to what’s going on and you should seek support from the devs of bedrock dedicated server.

1 Like

What is the difference between CentOS Linux and CentOS Stream?

Stable vs rolling

sorry for the long delay, I have gotten CentOS installed, am waiting on people to test the server for lag now