Minecraft Bedrock Server Lag

The link I posted is the link to their bedrock server issue tracker.

It specifically exists for stuff like this.

Supported usually refers to commercial support. Since all support is mostly voluntary with no commercial support contract available its gets titled as “unsupported” but is in fact supported.

I’m not sure what gave you that impression considering they are currently actively developing a bedrock dedicated server.

I thought i had seen something about it when I first got a server up, though it is highly likely that I didnt understand what was said

Well thats fair. I think you should try to report your issue so it could possibly get fixed.

If it would help I could try setting up a Java server for testing, we are going to be switching to Java once our personal computers catch up with the times

could ubuntu server not be turboing properly, is the motherboard bios setup properly for turbo boost

the E5-2620 V3 base freq is only 2.4ghz and turbos up to 3.2Ghz while the i3 2100 runs 3.1Ghz all the time

if mine craft is ALL the server will be running you can disable hyper threading and a few cores to force boost up a few ticks and get more instructions per clock

I have updated the bios to the latest but as far as if it is set up properly for turbo boost I dont know

Would there be something in ubuntu that would keep it from turboing, like it should?

with an instance of the server running the cpu frequency is at 1.2 Ghz, but I don’t see a way to see per core. I do not see anything in the Dell bios that would let me force it to a higher clock

Yeah the defacto governor is powersave and not performance in Ubuntu so this makes it terrible for sustained compute workloads.

You have to go out of your way to reverse this as it’s enforced by systemd.

what would be the best way to do that?

So i have done some fiddling and found a way to switch ubuntu server to performance and am getting this when I check cpu frequency

analyzing CPU 0:
driver: intel_pstate
CPUs which run at the same hardware frequency: 0
CPUs which need to have their frequency coordinated by software: 0
maximum transition latency: Cannot determine or is not supported.
hardware limits: 1.20 GHz - 3.20 GHz
available cpufreq governors: performance powersave
current policy: frequency should be within 1.20 GHz and 3.20 GHz.
The governor “performance” may decide which speed to use
within this range.
current CPU frequency: Unable to call hardware
current CPU frequency: 2.93 GHz (asserted by call to kernel)
boost state support:
Supported: yes
Active: yes

and apparently it is possible for these CPU’s to make it to 4.0 according to this

sudo dmidecode -t processor | grep “Speed”

Max Speed: 4000 MHz
Current Speed: 2400 MHz
Max Speed: 4000 MHz
Current Speed: 2400 MHz

This being a dell box I might have to cut my losses if it doesn’t improve things I guess since they won’t allow overclocking on this server board.

sudo apt install tuned
sudo systemctl enable --now tuned
sudo tuned-adm performance

Should do the trick

sounds like its not turboing 2.4 would probably be a noticable slowdown since its 700mhz slower

if you can get that governor to turbo right you should be in the clear

if speed step is in the bios disable it

I got this error when I did that last command

tuned-adm: error: invalid choice: ‘performance’ (choose from ‘list’, ‘active’, ‘off’, ‘profile’, ‘profile_info’, ‘recommend’, ‘verify’, ‘auto_profile’, ‘profile_mode’)

I don’t remember seeing that option but I will take another look

Recommended should set it to performance.

Please consult the manual for the available options for your distro.

looks like the profile I needed was throughput performance, we shall see how that goes with testing

1 Like

So testing shows that it still isn’t boosting over 2.6ish. Might I try switching to windows to see if the processor will boost like it should?

Worth a shot