Return to Level1Techs.com

Microsoft Officially Buying Obsidian

microsoft
gaming

It has been confirmed:

Original Post

I’ve heard about this for a few weeks now, but I can’t find anything more substantial than “reportedly” and “allegedly”. However, this article seems pretty damn definitive.

I’m curious to know… why? Is Obsidian doing poorly? I buy all their games so shirely they’re doing great! :grin:

Will be interesting to see what comes of this. I’ve bought and loved every game from them the past 20 years (might be exaggerating, but still close to accurate lol).

Maybe they want to help out the Xbox by having another Xbox exclusive

Woah. Obsidian made KOTOR?

Bruh. Maybe he can get a new KOTOR then. Surely Disney and MS can ink a deal for a new KOTOR.

Lol maybe. They’re still salty over Demon’s Souls? :wink:

Yeah buddy.

I’ve been wanting this for a while. I read a long time ago that TOR MMO was the replacement for KOTOR 3 - 200

Then again, I’ve heard the same for ESO, and that might not be the case.

MS announced they bought obsidian 16 hours ago. Lol

Kotor is my favorite RPG of all time. I hope they don’t make it an exclusive if they are going to make a third but it looks that way…

For the sake of clarity…Bioware developed KOTOR 1, then Obsidian developed the sequel, KOTOR 2. Obsidian likes to do sequels: KOTOR 2, Neverwinter Nights 2, Fallout: New Vegas. Stick of Truth and Pillars of Eternity were notable exceptions.

Obsidian has released a video about this announcement:

I wish them all the best, but this kinda feels like the darkest timeline. None of their new games will be available anywhere other than the stupid freakin’ Microsoft Store.

From now on Obsidian’s RPGs will be only subscription-based, running in the cloud with MS logging your every keypress and choice in the game. Obviously Candy Crush will be included…

Point on the doll where the mean man touched you.

Funny moment in that video, at 1:15 he’s typing on facebook haha!

Looks like Microsoft is on a buying spree.

Why all the RPG developers? Do they want to create a M$MMORPG??

They probably weren’t happy with how sea of thieves turned out.

Worse fates could probably have happened to Obsidian to be fair. It would have been fun to have Zenimax hire them to run Bethesda though. :wink:

So they can cancel another game in development and shut down a studio after Lionhead Studios.

Gonna get some of those mobile games now :man_dancing:t6:

Stick of Truth wasn’t a sequel.

If not Microsoft then EA probably would have eventually then murdered them without warning because they made a game that’s only moderately successful with minimal gamblin… monetization features.

@Braysive No Stick of Truth wasn’t a sequel. See quote above.