Microsoft is F*cking the PC Gaming Community: The History & Future | Rant:30 | Tek Syndicate

Youre on F23 to be precise (well, there is always an option that you didnt upgrade ;)) Using Firefox 44.0.2 and that vessel troubleshooting thingy i saw first time in this topic. Had no idea that Vessel had playback issues on Linux.

Ad topic - some time ago i made a decision not to buy games i cannot play on Linux. Either native or thru Wine (GOG games that are supposedly not suported on Linux from my (small) experience work great on Wine (or Play On Linux which is also a great project) and as i dont have beefy gaming rig and dont really care too much for newest releases (i probably play Witcher3 somewhat mid summer - thru autumn for example as now im saving $ for new pc) and honestly - i think i made a good decision. I havent played pretty much any games in last few years so even if i build a pc on AMD`s APU (kinda "kill your console" build) i have vast catalogue of games to play - that are now playable on Linux.

Seriously i dont see the point in installing Windows other that on a VM if i wanted to play newer games (for example - Wendells vid on GTA5 on Linux). I hope that in the near future Adobe suite will become obsolete (like Flash is becoming right now) and more people adopt the mindset of - my hardware, my software, screw walled gardens.

PCper had a discussion about DX12 etc on the podcast the other night. These guys actually know what they are talking about, Ryan Shrout was one of the guys pioneering frame-rateing, FCAT etc. They have contacts in the industry etc. Not just some random dude on youtube with random opinions.

AMD's Robert Hallock did a AMAA on Reddit the other day, might be worth a read. He did say that AMD will add DirectFlip support "shortly". So Ryan was right, it was a driver issue. Some more worrying news is that AMD seems to think that FreeSync will not work with Window store games (Hallock links to this PCPer article).

1 Like

hey I'm an indie developer.

Microsoft gives prizes to local gamejams which students participate in, then they students get told they will earn "extra points" in the game jam competition if their game runs on the windows store. Windows store doesn't work with the unreal engine, I never thought about speaking up about this tactic before but if you think of all the gamejams in the world and all the students being forced to make things for the windows store, well there is a lot of good games not winning competitions because they are not windows store compatible.

3 Likes

I can confirm this, I was in a local Hackathon sponsored by Microsoft and if you wanted a chance at the only worthwhile prize your app had to use Azure cloud servers and a proprietary arduino that could only be programmed via VIsual Studio.

Videos like this and 'FBI vs Apple', 'Has Apple really invented anything' show the real spirit of TS. This is what sets them apart from all the other Tech youtubers.

I may be a bit of a lurker, however I must say, I do respect your willingness address a mistake after the fact without talking down to the users who pointed it out. Furthermore I would like to post some links that I found useful while trying to better understand what was special architecturally about the PowerPC platform and how that relates to M$'s usage of the platform and other game console related implementations of the platform.

Good reads, hope the takeaway from these is as useful for other users as they have been for me.

cheers,
-D-

I liked this one better:

2 Likes

Classic...

Is he missing some teeth because he is lisping a lot. I can't properly understand what he says.

It's a character he does. Making fun of himself and his detractors at the same time. It can be pretty hilarious at times.

Wth those two videos are more than likely less than 24 hours apart.

Wish we could just put a file manager in bios and get rid of the OS and just run games on the bios

Maybe he has had a lobotomy or been chilled out. This is what he post now.

yes that was posted before if you scroll up a bit :D

Yeah, he posts videos as his character francis, where he generally rages about things, and then videos as himself where he discusses things in a more calm, balanced manner.

http://wccftech.com/nvidia-gameworks-visual-corruption-gears-war-ultimate-edition/

Not that I really trust anything from wccftech (it just shows up in my search feeds for keywords)

If this is true though, Dayum

The only reason I am posting this is because I believe its more than just Microsoft screwing up pc gaming.

Well, it is more or less true. GameWorks is designed to make it very difficult for anyone but Nvidia to get proper performance, this includes Intel mind you. And even if AMD/Intel throws a lot of resources at the problem, it isn't much they can do. GameWorks is a closed, proprietary system where Nvidia has all the keys. And sure it is screwing up PC gaming a fair bit.

"I don't care, AMD/Intel is crap I have a Nvida GPU." Yeah sure, lets look at the track record of many GameWorks games. Many pretty much broken on release, even on Nvidia hardware with the latest driver. Some having problems for months, years after release. I read the change-log for some driver revisions lately, stuff like SLI being broken for about a year after release. Yeah. it's like that. GameWorks pretty much is a bad thing for us gamers. It gets hilarious when games that perform reasonably well on the Xbox1 (AMD hardware) then comes to PC as a GameWorks title and is a mess for months and then support is more or less dropped. Latest Far Cry game is an interesting example, certainly with he conflicting reports about the performance.

It's sad that the only way to make MOST (I say most as we all know even having the latest and greatest doesn't mean things will be perfect) of these game issues go away is to buy an nvidia card

It's what happens when a hardware vendor gets their hooks into the software layer with proprietary crap.

AMD could go out and build the best gpus EVAR and none of that matters.. cause gameworks.

Well, not all games are GameWorks games. And some games that has GW hasn't all the features, or you can turn them off fairly easily. So I wouldn't say that the current situation is hopeless. But it sure is worrying as many "triple A" games seems to be GW now. A bad thing for open standards, bad for competition and of course a bad thing for us consumers.

Arma is my bread and butter game. If that worked on Linux id be a lot more likely to switch. I still feel that no matter how vulcan goes I will need to have a Windows install even if only for gaming and not day-to-day operations.

PCPer had a 12 hour live-stream yesterday. One of the people they talked to was Dan Baker from Oxide games (about an hour into the VOD currently on twitch), a bit about their game of course but also a bit on Dx12 and the Microsoft Store. Baker seemed surprised that there is such an uproar about UWP etc, that Tim Sweeny wrote very sharply about it recently etc. According to Baker, no-one uses the Ms-store. I agree, if you sell games on Windows, you don't use the Ms-store. You use Steam, GOG etc etc. Also he referred to it as a "pain in the ass" to sell games on the Ms-store. Well, I can imagine there would be quite a difference dealing with Ms compared to Valve :) He doesn't think that Ms are trying to "lock down" things. That Ms would be crazy to try to block Steam, and I agree, that would be crazy. Baker also added that game devs was made aware of the UWP/Ms-Store limitations/shortfalls/whatever 8-9 months ago. There apparently was a lot of hot internal discussions among devs at the time, so a bit interesting to see the same thing again now 8-9 months later.

They also talked about Vulkan, how similar Dx12 and Vulkan are. Oxide wants to support Vulkan so they can get rid of Dx11 for example. Baker thinks Vulkan will make Linux gaming viable. Nice to hear stuff like that :) He also thinks it is a pretty sure thing long term that most if not all Dx12 games will support Vulkan due to the two being so similar.

I must say that I'm a fair bit more optimistic today about the future of gaming etc than I was last week.

Edit: YT link to the Dan Baker part.