Microsoft is F*cking the PC Gaming Community: The History & Future | Rant:30 | Tek Syndicate

The PS2 had a PS1 CPU as it's I/O processor.

That's true, I mis-spoke in the video, but that's not entirely why they were not backwards compatible.

It was a design decision by M$, they could have easily ran an emulation, or just used an X86 CPU instead of the XENON chip they had Intel and IBM create.

The bottom line, still stands that M$ decided to fuck over their entire PC market.

oh...that makes WAY more sense now. The second reply. Also maybe this is just my misjudgment but I would think everyone in the tek syndicate audience knows what "a binary" means. Again maybe that's just my misjudgment.

Easily ran an emulator.... They could have ran an emulator, but anyone that runs emulators knows that the hardware running the emulation needs to be much more powerful then the originating hardware. Sure knowing all of the source code helps optimize it, but I would not say it is as easy as throwing in a simple emulator.

Either way Xbox not being compatible with Xbox 360 screws over console gamers and not PC gamers. I disgree that they should have stayed with an x86 CPU. GameCube Showed us that PowerPC is far superior for Video game design on consoles. You can develop a game that plays and looks the same in at least 1/3 or even less time because of the simpler processor. Resident Evil 4 nearly rivaled games on Xbox even though Gamecube specs were much slower. GameCube also had much more games running at a solid 30 or 60 FPS that looked amazing.

I agree that the Xbox sku and the way it is walled off screws over PC, but the hardware between generations effects PC in no way whatsoever.

Yeah, the Xbox 360 was a funky thing. They probably wanted something like the Playstation, easier to lock people in, harder to hack etc. When marketing people to tech decisions. Why we had games under-perform on OP PC hardware for years and years. "Oh, you have more than 256 MB of RAM/VRAM? I don't know what to do with that.".

But back to the topic at hand.

I think Ms will add to it over time. Most gamers will just go with it. Ms own us gamers anyway, most people just don't realize it. Looks like stuff like VRR (VESA Adaptive sync etc) will be easier on Win10 with the win compositor. The "show the last frame at the next VBLANK" thing looks like its made for variable refresh. That Vsync is funky on AMD hardware in Ashes of the Singularity (not a win10 store game BTW) is probably just a driver bug. There will probably be a lot of bells and whistles eventually, at least there will be big promises to tide people over. So I don't think things will change much, people will stay with Ms. it's like preorders of games, people get repeatedly fucked over, still do it anyway.

Vulkan is nice and will make things better on the Linux side. At least eventually, when the support is there. Next year maybe? intel graphics support it now, but we all kinda want more than that. I don't know what Nv is doing, AMD is at least working on it. Look at the kernel patches AMD has dropped over the last months, 100k+ lines of code. Sure it needs to be cleaned up etc, but AMD is serious about their driver support on Linux. Not that anyone cares about that as most people think the proprietary closed binary blob Nv driver is the bomb (hacked Win driver). If they care about Linux at all and don't just scoff at it as "something for nerds" that most seem to do. Not to be overly negative, but I don't think things will change over night, it will take a pretty long time.

CIG is modding the Cry Engine a fair bit. They won't call it "Star Engine" yet, but I think it will eventually be different enough that people will call it that. Even if they can't do it officially thanks to license agreements. Vulkan support would be nice. When will it happen? Not anytime soon, but it would be very nice to play Star Citizen on Linux. I laughed a bit when I saw Batman on that video about "best linux games 2016". WB scrapped Linux support when they pretty much scrapped all the support for PC. Trust WB to eff it the heck up.

A little of topic but interesting. The xbox360 has not been emulated practically while the PS2 has a Windows, Linux and Mac emulator that runs 95% of there games and even lets you boost resolution right up to 4K in some instances. Xbox really is a lame duck.

http://pcsx2.net/

To be fair, there are multiple issues when it comes to emulating games without source code. This dates back to NES and SNES emulation. It was great but not perfect. Just because a PS2 and GameCube emulator exist doesn't mean the lack of one points to bad hardware. An emulator existing often points more to hacks found through game bugs that allow dumping memory and reverse engineering the code. Interest in developing one is also a major factor to include a group that is willing to code the emulator out of love. Not every gaming system has a good emulator that can play 95% plus games.

Edit: TL;DR: Sony & Nintendo have tried to fight emulators just as much, just because Microsoft seems to be more successful atm doesn't mean much. I mean the PS2 was the least powerful of that generation by far.

I definitely want a t-shirt that says SuxBox

"According to the list, both Forza Horizon 3 and Scalebound are coming to Windows 10. Below the fold the complete list, including a list of DX12 titles."
..oh no, please fuck no, ..no! Scalebound seem like something I'd like to play. :D

There is also an article from Guardian about this topic. Tim Sweeney (from Epic) talks about what Microsoft is doing and what alternatives there are for the future of PC-gaming.

2 Likes

That video is on the open internet. A great many people will see it.

2 Likes

The problem is greater than just pc gaming. Try all software ? That is or ever will be for pc.

Not true, PPC emulation of X86 isn't straightforward. Vastly different ISAs, and if you look they are doing 360 emulation on the One but it runs like garbage.

also they likely had a good reason for choosing the PPC over x86 (cost) but this is speculation because neither of us work with MS.

they're still cunts, but some facts need to be checked

An alternative option...

and before anyone has a pop at me I'm running Linux so none of this bullshittery will see any of my computers. Just a different perspective, a different voice. Wouldn't want this place turning into an echo chamber or anything...

1 Like

On a side note i think that Rant:30 should be in the beginning of the video title - just as "The Tek" is its own thing i think that Rant:30 should be somewhat its own format just like The Tek - mostly for making it "a new show" on Tek Syndicate and i think it will give consistency to your video catalogue - when more Rant:30s will come in the future (im sure they will ;)) it will be easier to go thru list of "Rant:30 - {title}" Also - shareability - once a person shares a "Rant:30" and people receiving that "share" who like that segment will automatically see another thing of his/hers liking .

English is my 2nd language so i hope i made myself clear enough, because reading what i just wrote seems like writings of someone who is pretty drunk ;)drunk ;)

Just an observation.

There is a problem with vessel videos and the combination of Linux and Firefox https://support.vessel.com/hc/en-us/articles/204745765-Linux-Playback-Troubleshooting

The work around that vessel suggests does not work very well, at least in my PC.

Fedora user here, Vessel video plays normally without any problems.

This is a great op-ed and I hope it has some kind of impact beyond just being published.

Sweeney's closing is really strong IMO,

Microsoft’s intentions must be judged by Microsoft’s actions, not Microsoft’s words. Their actions speak plainly enough: they are working to turn today’s open PC ecosystem into a closed, Microsoft-controlled distribution and commerce monopoly, over time, in a series of steps of which we’re seeing the very first. Unless Microsoft changes course, all of the independent companies comprising the PC ecosystem have a decision to make: to oppose this, or cede control of their existing customer relationships and commerce to Microsoft’s exclusive control

1 Like

M$ had Intel and IBM design a chip for the 360. This isn't in dispute. That is the design decision I was speaking of.

I'm using Fedora(20) also and firefox 42. Did you make the vessel's suggested troubleshooting?