Microboard 4k 40" Monitor - Sexy all-Metal Display | Tek Syndicate

As always excellent review, Wendell. Got one of these bad boys a day ago as it appears they've re-stocked and set the price at a solid $600. I did however look into the microboard website like you recommended and what would make this purchase even sweeter would be if I could get my hands on one of the monitor stands on the mircoboard website (microboard.co.kr) -- specifically the Genesis/Gold Meta stand. It looks quite sturdy and has some nice maneuverability options (rise, pan, swivel and maybe tilt?) all for about $70 bucks! They also have some decent Dell-esque monitor stands that do everything you'd want for normal sized monitors at a bit cheaper price for anybody else that may be interested. If anybody could find a lead on a third party retailer that might stock these I would be quite pleased :)

So out of all the 4K 40" monitors, which one would you buy if you were going to only purchase one?

I got mine yesterday finally after it getting robbed and ransomed by customs, i need some help please, can any one confirm for me if when enabling freesync and testing it with the freesync windmill demo do you get a blank screen after a few seconds?

Has anyone here used the Microboard B400 for gaming? I'm not a huge gaming guy, but I enjoy some FPSes from time to time. I just got into Arma 3. Noticeable blurring? I just ordered a second GTX 970 to power a 4K monitor.

You shouldn't see blurring, but be aware ARMA3 has a blur slider(s) which is on 50% by default, be sure to turn those off or you will see allot of blur :)

Freesync is for sure buggy on this display. However the windmill demoncan have its own bugs. Try it in a game and see if you get dropouts.

Yep I here you, I tried it with BAKnight and it was mash up and when it did screen tear it looked like it was static then gradually moved up or down, I cant really remember which way it went but it finally disappeared. But Im not to sure if I was doing things right or if I was in the realms of freesync with my R9 390.

@wendell just curious what length screws are you using for your monitor arm? wanted to order or pick some up ahead of time before my monitor arrives.

@wendell What 40" 4k monitor would you buy, if you were only going to purchase one?

Does any one know how to do the freesync hack or preferably are there any legit video guides on how to do it, because I think that might sort it out for me as I noticed it got better when I down scaled the resolution and fiddled about with settings for example with the windmill demo which previosly did not work, also if I am not mistaken the freesync minimum is 45 fps which makes it hard to hit at the 4k level.

There is a thread with a link on howto do that.

I may be in the market for one of these now since green-sum totally screwed up my order and somehow got my monitor hit with $246 worth of tax, so I refused it and will get a refund. (tax is %10 gst here btw for computer gear at/over 1k).

It would be nice if MicroBoard could give an official statement on the status of FreeSync on this monitor, do they intend to fix it or just drop support entirely?

Is this still the 40" 4k to get? I am currently gaming and learning to program on 2 23.8" 1080p acer monitors. I play EVE online and some other FPS games along with MOD skyrim, would this monitor work for all that.

MY SETUP
i5-4690k 4.4GHz
16GBs HyperX Furry
GA-z97x-Gaming 3
2x GTX 760 SLi
Win 10

Would that system push this monitor? I plan to upgrade to GTX 980 or 2 in the near future but want to get a killer monitor so that I have room more on my desk with a single monitor setup.

And one final question.....

How you justify the cost to wives/girlfriends? HAHAHA

You'll be fine running it for all your productivity needs. I am running 4k perfectly fine just off my 6600k integrated graphics while I await a shipment from Newegg. Gaming you might be able to do a bit of 4k gaming with varying degrees of success depending on the game. Skyrim most certainly won't be playable with a heavy mod stack at 4k on that setup. You definitely have a solid base for a 4k setup though.

1 Like

Well, I've officially run into my first snag.

So, after completing my build(well, mostly complete sans GPU which arrives Tuesday) I hooked it up and was doing driver installs, yadda yadda. I was using DP straight away and everything was fine heading into the process of cloning my older OS HDD over to an SSD.

Some time during this process, while dicking around with PIP/PBP settings, I completely lost an output from displayport if it's the only screen. I can hook DP and HDMI up simultaneously and split the monitor in number of ways (2/3/4) and it shows the DP image, I can use DP with any PIP(either the HDMI or cable box source) and the DP image will show....however, no matter what I cannot get the DP source to appear by itself any longer. I'm completely confused by this.

Anyone know why this might be or how to remedy it? Maybe @wendell or someone with experience. I feel like even if I could factory reset the display it might undo whatever I did(the ONLY thing I actually messed with was seeing how PBP worked).

EDIT: Okay, so I fixed it. I turned FreeSync off, restarted my computer, rescaled the resolution to 4k then re-enabled FreeSync. Dunno why it stopped working for a bit, but all is good now.

Remember that this monitor requires power cycling sometimes. The freesync on off basically also resets the controller. It may be that your machine refused to display when it fell back to 4k 30hz or whatever.

The monitor changes the rest it reports to the pc to 1080p when its in 4 up mode too which is clever.

Yeah. It never left 60Hz(OSD continually read 4k@60), and the PBP downscale to 1080 didn't cause it. I reproduced the issue, and it has something to do with when I move PIP to the lower left corner at max size. In certain locations the PIP using a cable box as a source will go all buggy and that seemed to cause a reset of sorts. Odd issue, but easily avoidable.

Does any one with this monitor experience any blackout/flickers when gaming because this is really starting to get to me now.

Is your cable HBR2? tried a 1.8-2.0m cable?

Im using the one that came with it, why is it dodgy?

Yes, could be, the first cable with the A399U wre almost all bad; something about being glued and not crimped.
GENTLY Wiggle and gently push inward.