Memory OCing - 3600Mhz running at 1800Mhz (B-Die)

Upload a picture of the case? It’s possible your fan configuration is not allowing enough airflow, but you’d likely only see this crop up under load.

Crashes due to temp are not common on non-overclocked CPUs, but it is possible.

Can you get us some idle temps, after the system’s been running for a bit?

I’m not entirely confident this is a thermal issue, but it’s a low-hanging fruit we can eliminate.

I’ve gone ahead and bumped you up a level, it’s pretty clear you’re not a spammer :slight_smile:

That memtest looks fine to me. I am doubtful it’s a memory issue.

I’m starting to question if this isn’t an windows software issue, which I’m not particularly good with.

I thought with the preloaded DOCP profile that it would have overclocked automatically.

@SgtAwesomesauce

The weird thing is, this all started when I upgraded my memory, so it was first to be investigated. I upgraded from G.SKill 3200MHz CL16 ram without DOCP and it ran fine.

Now, with the new sticks it just decides to shut down while waking it from sleep or when clicking restart flash a little error and shut down…

I believe it could also be the preset profile that came with G.Skill and in some manner is not getting along with the motherboard, or the motherboard is messing up the “auto” settings and the system doesn’t like it.

I have a push pull config, two 140mm Silent Wings 3 fans pushing air in and one phanteks fan pulling air out. The fans are 10 inches away from pushing cool air over my board however. It’s the Phanteks Enthoo Pro M.

I am going to try the DRAM Ryzen calculator and calculate for safe settings. I’ll reply back with the details. I just want to say thank you to everyone for your input.

I also have a question. When clicking restart I had a pop up error and my computer shut down almost instantly causing the led indicator on my motherboard to stay on orange. Wondering if there is any log that I could look into that will display this as Event Viewer doesn’t show anything.

Looks like your cooling setup is fine, as long as all the fans are working, it should be good.

Let’s see what the DRAM calculator shows, then we can go from there.

If event viewer isn’t showing anything, I’m not aware of any other location that could be. :confused:

Well yes, while I said anything over 3600 is an overclock, really for Ryzen I think anything over 2966 or possibly 3200 I think is considered an overclock.

So setting DOCP did auto overclock your ram to 3600 which will be the settings stored on your RAM.

Beyond that is an overclock as far as the RAM is concerned, and everything is an overclock as far as the CPU is concerned, so technically an overclock on an overclock if that makes sense.

Here is the thing though. The easy option for the “most performance” is to keep the CPUs Infinity Fabric (IF) and the RAMs speed equal. Typically Ryzen 3xxx CPUd will not go beyong 1800mhz IF which is 3600MHz on the ram. This keeps the IF and RAM on a 1:1 ratio which is the easy way to get the most performance from your RAM and CPU as far as memory is concerned.

You can go out of 1:1 IF to RAM by having the RAM higher than the equivalent IF frequency and still get more performance but it is harder to do and takes manual tuning of RAM frequencies and all of its sub settings, which there are a lot of.

So I’m curious if this is an IF issue.

I wonder if the controller on his CPU isn’t happy at 1800mhz or something. Occasionally this happens.

OP, what you could do to test this is find your FCLK setting in the BIOS, and set it manually to 1600MHz, which is what it originally was with your 3200mhz ram. If it’s stable after that, you know it’s the IF not liking 1800. You can then start bumping it up in 33mhz increments (the smallest increments allowed) until you hit the point of instability.

Zen 2 allows for decoupled FCLK from UCLK (memory controller clock), so while there might be some inefficiencies in transfer by not being 1:1, it might be better than running at 3200mhz.

1 Like

I think it’s some boards don’t push the SoC Voltage high enough. Zen 2 I usually run my VSoC at 1.12V, and for above 3600 1.15V is recommended with the limit being 1.2V. Higher voltages make the SoC act weird, so the ballpark is 1.12 to 1.15V.

Hey guys, I have an update! After reverting the preset DOCP profile (profile #1) on my memory (via BIOS) the crashes have stopped.

I tested this by stress testing via in game and having waking up the computer from sleep, multiple times.

This is the first time that I’ve seen a default OC profile on memory behave this way. Usually they’re pretty safe, no? On intel platforms, I would enable XMP and have no issues.

With DOCP disabled, my timings, using HWinfo.

memory timings

I will still report back with findings from the DRAM calculator tests.

Should I do that with the default DOCP profile?

All memory controllers are different. Some of them can hit those OC frequencies, some can’t. You’re running out of spec, so that can happen.

No, I’d recommend trying it with the 3600MHz profile.

Alright. I set the FCLK frequency to 1800Mhz and it looks good. My DRAM Voltage is 1.36V and SOC is 1.025V (left on auto.)

Memory timines (HWinfo)

new_memorytimings

However, CPU Z is showing the ram @ 1064 Mhz, now I left memory frequency on auto, so should I change it to static 1800Mhz?

cpuz

DRAM Calculator Settings:

Well like i mentioned already, it’s a 3700X so that is possible. :wink:

Hey guys, I have an update here.

So things got a little more bland. After completing a couple of tests with several different sets of timings/clocks/voltages and defaulting back to DOCP.

I am convinced this is my CPU. I am unable to POST with the default DOCP profile at 3600Mhz / 3533Mhz / 3466Mhz clocks!!!

Should I just RMA the CPU? Because at this point, this is an absolute joke.

Is it stable at 3200MHz?

Ryzen 3000 only officially supports 3200MHz, which likely means they won’t accept an RMA unless you’re unstable at 3200.

1 Like

I am in the process of testing 3200Mhz to see if I get any crashes, most likely I won’t it seems. I guess I’m that 1% of users that can’t utilize their 3600Mhz ram?

I guess I’m stuck with this CPU unless I get a crash. Do they check RMAs?

EDIT

I’ve heard it could be the bios as well? I am using version 3001 on TUF Gaming X570. I am hesitant on reverting back to an old version for several reasons.

I’m not sure what their RMA policy is, but I wouldn’t mislead them on the issue.

I’m not familiar with the X570 bios enough to say.

What are your concerns with reverting?

Stuck bios. And I believe my board doesn’t have a dual bios feature.

I keep reading threads that it’s either the CPU (1 percent of users can’t use 1800Mhz) or it’s a bios issue. Both seem plausible.

Is there a way to rule out the CPU? I am convinced that it is the CPU, although I read that if I am able to boot with a FLCK of 1800Mhz then it’s not necessarily the CPU… But

I’d try to dial in a manual memory configuration at 3600.

Most memory kits will do more than the rated XMP/DOCP.

D.O.C.P is an overclock profile to begin with, so while memory vendors do warrant it, AMD is not required to.
It’s quite possible the kit is perfectly capable of 3600mhz at it’s rated timings on an Intel platform, but not for AMD, while at the same time, your AMD CPU is quite possibly perfectly capable of 3600mhz memory frequencies with those timings, but not with that kit. Memory compatibility is actually a pretty sticky, tricky thing.

Also, the 3200mhz rating is for JEDEC specifications, not for XMP profiles. Technically, it’s working fine as long as JEDEC 3200mhz memory runs it’s JEDEC(20~24tcl) timings.
The popularity of XMP makes it basically impossible to shop for the actual intended frequency of the ICs, though. This was fine when everything was tested against a single platform, but imho, it should be a requirement to list the JEDEC profile of the Dram on the store page somewhere, similar to how motherboard vendors have to list supported memory frequencies beyond the standard range as * (OC).

I’d say, if it doesn’t crash at 3200mhz with auto timings, try tightening from there and when you find something stable, just call it a day. AMD might warrant the CPU, but it’s just as likely the replacement won’t fix the issue. It might; so might replacing the board or the RAM, but it also might not.

If you’re on latest bios, there is a known issue with the agesa on some boards. I’m currently unable to post at 3600mhz even though I have with the same ram on an older ryzen cpu on this board.

My suggestion is to set your DOCP and then manually change the ram frequency to 3200 for now.

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.