Memory OCing - 3600Mhz running at 1800Mhz (B-Die)

You don’t understand what i´m saying.
I’m just saying that it’s not unknown for a 3700X,
not being able to run 3600mhz mem clock stable.

P.s i know what DDR means.

That’s why zen 2 decouples after 3200MHZ and sticks to 1700mhz IF default.

You are correct I dont. Infinity fabric has nothing to do with this thread. Read the OP. He is concerned about his memory clock speed. While yes IF can be coupled to that Mclock its off base from what the OP is asking. He is more concerned that he is getting the clock speed he needs. This can be decoupled from the IF as a whole.
M_CLK
U_CLK
F_CLK

Are all different now. They are not a reliable measure of each other and while decoupled the processor can dynamically adjust F_CLK. The lastest AGESA allows this

I assumed you did. I wondered why you did not explain that 1800=3600

@Reskvr could you provide more information about your bootup errors? Your board EFI settings would be appreciated to! We can provide more help with this information. Sometimes it can be a timing issue

This will not actually be it and is likely a red herring. We’re going to need more detail regarding what is crashing. If it is Windows in general, it may actually be your memory which a memtest would be heavily recommended.

yup and according to Microsoft’s AMAZING documetation. I mean man would I wish I had this level of docs before. I love microsoft as of late.

Excess Information

"

Cause

These 10016 events are recorded when Microsoft components try to access DCOM components without the required permissions. In this case, this is expected and by design.

A coding pattern has been implemented where the code first tries to access the DCOM components with one set of parameters. If the first attempt is unsuccessful, it tries again with another set of parameters. The reason why it does not skip the first attempt is because there are scenarios where it can succeed. In those scenarios, it is preferable.
"

Memtest isn’t a perfect test; I’ve had some bad RAM that wouldn’t stay stable even at JEDEC timings, but would go through any number of passes of memtest without throwing an error. Might lock up after enough uptime, but it would never error.
I’ve also seen a lot of different people having problems getting XMP settings running on their Ryzen systems, so I suspect that it’s a matter of cheaper memory kits being older, Intel-geared kits that are tuned for the particularities of Intel platforms.
See if you can get Ryzen-specific or generally newer IC kits. Samsung B-Die isn’t magic, it can be a lemon too. It was just what was best suited to first generation Ryzen products, probably because it was one of the ICs AMD tested against when developing Zen or something like that.
That, or RMA. Any decent vendor warrants the XMP profiles, and it could just be a lemon kit.

Yes i get what you mean.

I think that 1796.4mhz is kinda close enough.
The only thing is that he’s struggling with stability.
maybe it needs more fine tuning.
Or the issue could be something totally unrelated to memory.

Did you look at the windows error?

It’s got nothing to do with ram.

1 Like

In order to diagnose the problem we need more information. If it comes to the RAM we will cross that bridge when we get there. IF he doesnt like it, we can tweak the write Row Column which often needs bump when stuff gets picky but thats neither here nor there.

We have a problem. We must find out as much information as we can first before making a conclusion

Nope i missed that part.
Thanks for the heads up.

1 Like

Yeah definitely more info is needed.
I didn’t ment to hop into any conclusions yet.

Is it stable at JEDEC stock settings, or just XMP?

What error was this?

It should be but this sometimes happens with bas bios shenanigans.

My suggestion is to download AIDA64 and start a memtest there. For some reason, in my case, it was able to spot memory instability almost immediatly while memtest86+ was not.

RAM instability can cause all sorts of issues so I wouldn’t exclude that DCOM error to be caused by it.

To try and improve compatibility try to update your BIOS to the latest version.
What also makes the difference is having the RAM kit on the QVL of your motherboard. It’s not guaranteed that the RAM kit you got will run at XMP speeds, but it surely makes the chances of it working higher.

Just applying the XMP setting from the BIOS automatically couples the IF clock to the RAM clock so, if the OP didn’t get into memory/IF tuning, his memory and IF clock are synced.

2 Likes

This isn’t true 3000 series forward from what testing showed but yeah I don’t think this is a memory issue my dude his windows error has zero to do with memory and it’s running the xmp timings

If you’re running up to 1800MHz yes. I have a 3700x and 3600MHz RAM and without doing any tweaking the system automatically sets IF to 1800 if I enable XMP. And it gives me a warning regarding possible instability and so on.

Everything goes through the memory in a system so I think it’s worth making sure it’s not related to it. It’s unluckly, yes.
I’ve had my system running stable in many games and in the day to day usage while having crashes in just one game mode in Warzone. Swapping out RAM fixed it so that’s why I’m so “fixated” on making sure RAM is working 1000%.

1 Like

No, I mean shouldn’t it overclock above 3600Mhz, for example, 3800Mhz - 4000Mhz? Since in the BIOS it was set to auto, I thought it would auto boost the frequency above 3600Mhz and why I was surprised to see 1800MHz.

Another theory I had was that it could be heat related, but my computer was idle at the time of crashes. However, I haven’t gotten any more crashes since I popped open the tempered glass side window.

Attached are the images from Memtest. Sorry for the link, I am unable to post URLs or upload more than 1 image.

imgur . com/a/Dp9bjPE

If you kits is rated 3600MHz at 16-16-16-36 then XMP/DOCP will set it to exactly that, if you want to go higher you have to do it manually.

And being that it is only verified for 3600 anything above that would be an overclock and stability is not a for sure thing.

1 Like

This pretty much. :slight_smile: