Mechanical Keyboard Corner

Its piled too deep in this thread, but what was that keeb that looks purpose built for travel again? It has a cause setup kind of like a pelican case.

Ah, its Zibobā€™s post!

Iā€™m going to look into this keeb more, Iā€™m going to be on the road a lot for the near future and need a travel keeb- most deff not lunking the Tufo around.

It is a bit hollow sounding if you are used to dense, damped, heavy boards. Easily fixed with some foam if so inclined.

I am still using it as my daily and it is going fine, has soldered in Gateron Brown switches. I prefer more tactile and like a lot of projects, I will eventually swap them but they are fine for now.

Since you came looking, i will say last night i had an odd one, it gave the low battery warning, so I plugged it in, it appeared to be charging, next morning charged light is on so I unplugged it, came home that evening and the low battery was back on, so I plugged it back in and this time I could see the charged light solid but the low battery flashing through it. Kind of odd, i leave my board switched to Bluetooth all the time, I switched it to off and back on fixed it. Just more information.

1 Like

Surprisingly nothing on Google about this- but i assume no VIA support? How do you like the stock firmware? Does it have macro options?

No VIA that I know of, and i dont think it has any reprogramability. Only macros aee the built in ones for the bluetooth and such.

It is a very stock board, just nice for on the move. I like being able to customise but rarely do alter the layouts. I like it.

Yeah it seem to be an asia only type thing.

1 Like

This looks like it could be a nice travel board. All the right keys for me. I too am VIA snob now.

Looking at pulling the trigger on a Dactyl buildā€¦ thinking the Redox Manuform: Redox Manuform by Fosk_LL - Thingiverse

Found a bunch of low profile cherry MX reds from a german site. I want to use the low profile keycaps too. Hopefully everything fits inside the little rebates in the 3d print.

5 Likes

Iā€™m keeping an eye on this one

I want to get into QMK and a wireless keyboard for my framework laptop so this thing is front and center.

3 Likes

1986 IBM PC/XT Model M Enhanced Keyboard (P/N 1390120)!

2 Likes

Have you seen this? I think it looks ugly. And for the price I would buy a QMK/VIA one instead.

1 Like

Yeah, I am not a huge fan of Logitech keebs. I love their mice though.

Wow that is expensive for mass market, comparitive to the price and what else you can get for that, crap.

I like the idea, I LOVE that it has ISO, but dont like floating keys style and they look.particularly fragile being thin too.

Nice idea, but no.

Recently, I bought an ASUS Rog Flow Z13. It was something I thought was silly when it launched, but as I thought about it, it made more and more sense. My problem with laptops has always been subpar keyboards. This is a difficult area because there are so many important specs when it comes to laptops, that you donā€™t always get to pick one with a good keyboard.

I took a chance on the Z13, figuring if it was a bad idea, I would return it. Thatā€™s where keyboards come in. I initially built an LK67. I wanted something wireless and inexpensive since it would be traveling around with me and could potentially be damaged or stolen. The LK67 fit the task for a while. It was a great size and I couldnā€™t really ask it for much moreā€¦ but the mode switch was getting on my nerves. It took almost no force for it to turn on in my bag and kill itself. It may have just been a dud or an easy fix, but I bought the Feker IK75 kit after seeing that the mode switch was on the bottom.

The Feker IK75 stock stabs did not play well with my keycaps, so I purchased a set of snap-in stabs on Amazon. I ordered two different types since I didnā€™t want to delay the build too long. Iā€™ve never heard of New Fashion Kingdom, but it seemed like the many things that end up on Amazon that are just re-brands. They turned out very nice after some clipping and lubing.

While I was in there, I swapped out the aluminum plate for PC (it comes with the kit). That ended up being a great decision. The PC plate really brings out the tactility of the Anubis switches. Iā€™ll record a sound test a bit later.

Kit: Feker IK75 - Translucent Black
Stabs: New Fashion Kingdom - Krytox on the housings, Dialectical on the wires. Wires were thick and didnā€™t need much balancing.
Keycaps: GMK Modern Dolch 2 Mist - Many levels of overkill, but they were just sitting in a drawer.
Switches - Anubis - These were lubed and spring swapped by @Deadeye. They are INCREDIBLY tactile. I absolutely love them.
Cable - CableMod Pro Coiled Keyboard Cable (Carbon Grey)

Itā€™s a bit taller than the LK67 since it has an F row, but it ended up being flatter since the feet are collapsible. It fits very nice in my bag. The only other thing I would do is replace the knob. Not because it isnā€™t goodā€¦ simply just because. I have no seen any compatible replacements yet. Knob suggestions welcome.

5 Likes

My new model F key caps shipped today. I ordered it in July 2017. Lol

5 Likes

Wanting the QK65- Iā€™ve always wanted the Epoch sound and this seems to get close to it on a budget, and Iā€™m pretty happy with 65%

That sound:

AND ITS VIA!!!

But of course- OUT OF STOCK with no group buy in sight.

What are the specs? I wonder if places like DigiKey are a good solution.

Zoom65 is also unobtanium

This is why I have a Tofu, they keep it stocked.

Why do I do this to myself, watch vids of keebs that are fictional anyhow.

3 Likes

I finished up a project Iā€™ve been working on for the last little while.

Iā€™ve got STLā€™s and an assembly guide on my github if you want to check one out for yourself.

https://github.com/wizarddata/Ergo-S-1

I talk a little about what the process was like in another thread that I started:

7 Likes

Exactly similar when I stumble upon an interesting keyboard or mouse on Kickstarter, product shows great functionality & build quality and the creator hits the wall of the logistics in mass producing that device so the end result is a very short run production.
Iā€™ve found myself settling on a basic Cherry MX keyboard as buying something off-the-shelf is easier than waiting for a unicorn/vaporware product.

2 Likes

Keychron Q2 is looking like a solid contender.

I really want the QK65 but Iā€™ll probably miss what few group buys that come up.

So enter a 65 with knob, gasket mounting, VIA support, and by a company that can actually keep up with demand.

Sounds to high a pingy out of the gate but with simple mods gets thocky. Still no epoch junior like the qk65 but I need the travel board soon.

1 Like