Mechanical Keyboard Corner

Whats your use case for the knob? Volume adjustment?

2 Likes

Just an itch aesthetically and yes for volume. I already have a Tofu 65 so the primary thing is having a gasket mount setup, its just a neat add-on to have a knob take the duty of the two ā€˜vol upā€™ ā€˜vol downā€™ keys and look a little different from the tofu. The keychron has two less keys so it works out perfect to make the knob for volume.

I stayed up late watching a number of review/sound vids. I just donā€™t like the sound of the Keychron, and Iā€™m googoo gaga over the qk65.

1 Like

11:47

Even with lots of modding that should make it more thocky, its still higher pitched, more clacky.

I want that Epoch ā€œmarbleā€ or rounded stones under water type sound like his modded qk65. Darnā€¦

Iā€™ve been looking for 65%ish board but with a function row and split backspace. Hard to findā€¦ donā€™t care about knobs.

1 Like

Knobs seems to have replaced split space bar as the standout feature. Sigh. Function row on a 65% is def just a 75%.

3 Likes

Thanks, I forgot what the breakdown of percentages was. So 75% with a split backspace, no knob.

Yeah, thats definitely a niche.

1 Like

Weā€™ll see fewer niche options as hot swap becomes more ubiquitous. Kind of a shame but soldering a whole board sucks so mixed bag.

Yeah. Iā€™ve been experimenting with plate materials. I canā€™t imagine I would be doing that if I had to de-solder and re-solder each time.

2 Likes

This is promising as my switches sitting here to be used are Boba U4Ts (tactile represent)

And its not even using PCB foam. I need to figure out were the heck he gets the poly plate from, IMO it + the long stem type switches are dong the heavy lifting on the sound. Add PE foam on the PCB and maybe this can actually sound QK65ā€™ish, or maybe not due to just not having lots of weightā€¦

Edit- oh, keychron sells the poly plate, separate and not as an option with the keebā€¦

And then a case as this is for travel:

Jeez, plus their shipping it really starts to add upā€¦

2 Likes

This is going to be amazing with the PC plate.

For real. I had all of this in my cart the other day, saw shipping and just Xā€™d it out lol. I have an irrational distaste for shipping charges lol.

2 Likes

Damn, even with an alumn plate the qk65 has the underwater rounded pebble sound- THE sound I want.

4min mark.

Comes with a case too. ā€œPlenty of stockā€ LOLz.

1 Like

Even before knobs and hot swap were a thing, options like ISO enter and short left shit, split space, and split back space alone were nearly impossible in one board, amd those are the easy options.

Now its even worse. But it still leaves the door open for a talented slmeone to make the ultimate PCB for (date) that can do everything.

I donā€™t mind the soldering, takes time and feels rewarding, there is a finality to the build and arguabely a solidity too from solid connections all the way through.

And it can give you a reason to have several boards rather than just several bags of switches :smirk:

3 Likes

Felt good the first time but after soldering, desoldering and resoldering my 96 key, I donā€™t need to do it any more.

1 Like

The next QK65 batch is supposed to be an unlimited group buy, opening on June 10th.

3 Likes

For some reason tapping a heart button to ā€˜likeā€™ your post feels horribly lacking.

Hell Iā€™m flirting with buying 2 so one can be a gift if the cohabitant gets into keebs.

3 Likes

The website says to check back in 3 hours. :sunglasses: :crossed_fingers:

I think Iā€™m going to get one as well. Iā€™ve been wanting to do a 65% build. I do like the Tofu 60 a lot, but sometimes I just want dedicated arrow keys and a few keys I can program as dedicated F-keys for debugging code.

2 Likes

65% is deh way haha.

Iā€™m tempted for 60 sometimes, but 65 has been great. For F keys in just hit function then the number. Designated arrows, delete etc.

Only on very rare occasion do I miss a numb pad but I get along just fine with the top row.

Yeah, I have similar setup for F-keys on my Tofu 60. CapsLock + 1-12 for F-keys. CapsLock + IJKL for arrows.

Just when stepping through a lot of code I donā€™t always want to have to hold down the CapsLock key with my left hand to do arrows or F10, F11, F12 when it could be used to chug RedBull while Iā€™m debugging. :slight_smile:

Side note, I wish I could have CapsLock + IJKL be arrows on all my keyboards. Itā€™s so engrained in my head now, that whenever Iā€™m typing on my laptop I always try doing that key combo. :joy: