Mac Mini > USB-C to Displayport > KVM > Displayport to HDMI > Monitor does not work. Works with the other 2 comptuters ocnnected to the KVM

KVM Model:

4 PC L1T KVM

USB Interface (5-gigabit or 10-gigbit):

5GBPS

Problem:

Hello. Loving the KVM btw. I just got a brand new Mac Mini. Latest gen with all the fixins. I have it connected to 2 monitors and some USB devices via a KVM that is also connected to 2 other computers (both Windows 11). Setup looks like this

This works great with the two PCs, but the mac is only seeing monitor 1. After a bunch of troubleshooting with apple, I ended up trying just connecting an HDMI cable straight from the mac mini to monitor 2. This worked, but that bypasses the KVM which doesn’t really work for me. The only thing unusual about Monitor 2 is that adapter in the middle. Both monitors work great with both PCs. Apples website says I should be able to drive 2 monitors over the thunderbolt ports since I have the M2 pro model.

What USB → DisplayPort cable?
What DisplayPort → HDMI adapter?
How long are your cables?

1 Like

For the USB-C > Displayport cables I’m using the generic 6 foot ones from Insigna which I got from best buy. (I tried to link it here but it won’t let me include links)

For the Displayport to HDMI adapter I’m using an IIBC branded one from Amazon. Wouldn’t let me link this either.

Thanks for the help!

You can post the links now

1 Like

Thank you!

USB-C to displayport: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/insignia-6-usb-c-to-displayport-cable-white/6419149.p?skuId=6419149

Displayport to HDMI adapter: https://a.co/d/03GzfrIE

I don’t think I’ve tried USB-C → DisplayPort → HDMI with theKVMs. Does this work @wendell ?

If it does:

What HDMI cable are you using afterward?

Also what monitor model & what resolution / hz is monitor 2?

I wouldn’t advise that cheap DP → HDMI adapter. I’d get a Club3D: https://a.co/d/04hzVwsv I’ve used this one with the KVMs and it does work in the output.

When Wendell was testing USB-C → DisplayPort cables, he had a very hard time finding one that actually does what it’s supposed to do well. I haven’t used that one though.

1 Like

I’ve tried a couple random generic HDMI cables. Not sure about their specifics. I figured the HDMI cable was not the issue since both of the PCs don’t have a problem with this setup but if it matters I can buy a new HDMI cable if you know what the specifics are that I need. The second monitor is an Acer SB220Q. It is a 1080p@75hz monitor. If we can only get 60hz to work for the mac in this setup im ok with that tho.

Your monitor and refresh are not the problem, then. It’s also not bandwidth. The KVMs can do up to 4K/120 without DSC. Something must be wrong with one of the components you’re using, or, USB-C → DP → HDMI → is not compatible with the KVM. I edited my previous post with some more info.

Does the DP → HDMI adapter work with monitor 1?

1 Like

One thing you can do is unplug everything from the KVM and leave it sitting for at least a minute. Monitors, KVM, USBs, etc included. Connect them again (still while the KVM has no power). Then, plug them KVM in again. This will force the KVM, monitors, and USB to re-handshake and try again.

1 Like

Thank you for the suggestions. Connecting the HDMI to monitor 1 yields the same result so I guess its not the monitor. I tried the suggestion with unhooking the KVM, waiting a bit, plugging everything back in power last. This didn’t seem to help. Thanks for all the help so far

Let me ask Wendell if USB-C → Displayport → HDMI is fine to do. If it is, then I would suggest that adapter I linked.

1 Like

Thank you. Apple forums suggested trying displayport 1.4 USB-C cables instead of 1.2 but monitor 1 is displayport 1.2 so that doesn’t sound like it’d help. Do you think that’s worth trying or should I skip on that?

You’re using 1080 right? It shouldn’t matter, DisplayPort 1.2 is up to 4k/60Hz

1 Like

yea, 1440p@144hz on montior 1 (which is working) and 1080p@75hz on monitor 2

not sure if this is helpful or not but for simplicity I simplified the connections for my work PC - it’s actually a dell thunderbolt dock connected to a dell laptop. I tried connecting the thunderbolt cable from the dock to the mac mini and to my suprise, only the second monitor works in this configuration. Very strange.

Is the second monitor still using the DP → HDMI adapter?

yes. it does not have displayport so that’s the only way I can connect it to the KVM

I have amazon prime so I get 30 day returns on everything and I suspect it’s either those cables or the Displayport > HDMI adapter. I ordered the adapter you recommended and the displayport/USB-C cables apple recommended. I’m suspicious of the cables since the second monitor worked through the dock. I can just return these if that doesn’t fix it.

Somehow the nicer USB-C > displayport cables solved the problem??? maybe the ones i got from best buy were out of spec in some way or something. Not sure but glad its working

2 Likes

It’s difficult to find a quality USB-C to DisplayPort, so makes sense. Can you link me to the one apple suggested to you?