LSI SAS 9207-8i and windows 10

Sorry if this is the wrong place to post this but I need some help. I just installed a LSI SAS 9207-8i in my Aorus x570 master motherboard. It is showing up fine in windows device manager, but I don’t see the drives (8 sata) anywhere. Is there something I need to do to make it work? I just want to form them into one giant pool (maybe 1 or 2 drives for parity). Can someone help please?! Thank you in advance

shows that the controller is working, but is detecting 0 drives? How likely is it that they are bad cables?

Would be the best place to start. Cables are fairly inexpensive. If not cable then possibly bad ports. Assuming the drives function with normal SATA cables.

Yes, I had most of the drives connected via sata before. The main reason I got this card was so that I could connect more than 5 drives (1 of my sata ports is for my DVD drive).

Guess first thing to check, since none of them show up, is whether you have the right cables. SAS breakout and reverse-breakout cables look the same but they’re not interchangeable.

Hmm, ok I didn’t know that. These are the ones I ordered https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CKX62L6 but I don’t think they are reverse ones.

These seemed like they had good reviews, so to rule out it isn’t the cable I ordered this https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004KDO22K

Those look like they should be the correct type, might want to double check the packaging to see you actually got what you ordered, just to be sure, the cables do look the same, after all :slight_smile:

Is that screenshot from the controller BIOS? I seem to remember having to configure something in the controller BIOS on my two 9201-8i cards (rebranded as IBM 45W9122) both of those are IT-mode only (from the factory). So that might be something to look into as well.

No it is from the motherboard bios. I couldn’t find any documentation on how to get into the controller bios. If you know what to do or can point me to the documentation that would be great!

Mine just pop up a prompt on boot (well, one prompt for the two cards, and I can switch between them in the BIOS). Maybe boot settings are hiding that somehow? Or maybe your model just doesn’t do it. Afraid I have no idea either way :frowning:

I have a couple reverse, and a few forward breakout cables. No noticeable difference on the cables or connectors (apart from labels I applied to the reverse ones)

I tried disabling quiet boot, but all it says is “press delete to enter bios”. But that bios is the motherboard bios, not the LSI bios.

This is what I get:
https://bdp.uni.cx/~dragon/shots/avaritia/2/avaritia-202010052200-1.jpg

Can you get the megasas or MegaCLI program to run? not sure if it works on powershell, but there should be an app with the driver file for from the Broadcom/avaya/LSI webpage?

Might get more info from that?

Ok so saga update. By changing the motherboard settings to “legacy” mode for boot roms I was able to get it to load the LSI rom. However, booting into that I didn’t see anything that would really help? I’m still waiting on the new cables, but at this point I am beginning to think something is just mis-configured, but I am too much of a noob to figure it out.

Perhaps the great @wendell will grace me with his knowledge of HBAs and what I need to do so this thing works with my windows 10 machine?

My LSI (a little different model) shows exactly how many drives are connected (Physical Disk Count).
And those reverse/non-reverse cables caused very similar issue for me in the past. Some stores descriptions does not help in that matter at all.

1 Like

That image doesn’t appear to load.

Can anybody tell me why the sas2flash is throwing this error?

.\sas2flash.exe -b C:\Users\John\Downloads\9207_8i_Package_P20_IR_IT_FW_BIOS_for_MSDOS_Windows\UEFI_BSD_P20\uefi_bsd_rel\Signed\x64sas2.rom
LSI Corporation SAS2 Flash Utility
Version 20.00.00.00 (2014.09.18)
Copyright © 2008-2014 LSI Corporation. All rights reserved

No LSI SAS adapters found! Limited Command Set Available!
   ERROR: Command Not allowed without an adapter!
   ERROR: Couldn't Create Command -b
   Exiting Program.

During boot there is a message like press ctrl a to enter megaraid bios

Do you see that ?

Got pics of your card?

Thx

1 Like

@wendell When I changed to legacy mode I can get it so that I see the “press ctrl-c to enter bios” Give me a minute and I will send a picture of the card (got to remove it first)

link to phone pictures of the card and its BIOS https://photos.app.goo.gl/YvmWm91pFy591yQT8