Looking for the right Linux

I do not have a whole lot of info about Linux I was thinking Ubuntu, I am about to give my current Pc to a Friend mine since I am deployed soon, made a deal all he had to do is buy a new HDD and OS, I am looking into Linux to save hime some money and BTW he isn't that tech savoy might just buy windows but still want to try to find something

hes just using it as a standard duty PC with no gaming, porteus in KDE is pretty easy to get the hang of. he could actually run the computer off of a flash drive without getting a HDD with porteus.

arch linux master race

OpenSuse Gnome or KDE or Cinnamon

arch is great, and i love it.

but it is FARRRRR from "grunt proof"

none power users will find navigating even precompiled distros like manjaro a bit too comfusing

I think he mentioned doing minor games such as WOW

what i would do is get porteus on a flashdrive and play around with it for a few weeks. he can also try different GUIs at will with porteus making it "intro to linux friendly"

then buy a decent SSD for a hard drive and have him do research on arch and openSUSE and deside which he likes.

Try elementary OS... clean "mac osx" type feel, smooth, fast even on old and crappy machines.
Honestly cannot stress how great it really is.
They are currently in beta but its still surprisingly stable.
Get it Here!

Ok cool, mine machine was built for gaming anyways

if your a noob in the world of linux.. i recommend "UBUNTU" just because its user friendly

Just go with windows. If you aren't familiar with an OS don't give it to someone who isn't either

If your buddy just wants to game on it save yourself the headache and just pick up a cheap windows key.

Yea I was just thinking about that, if I wasn't being Deployed I'd go with Linux, thanks for the help, where would I look for cheap Windows keys?

deepin is real nice. simply clean and comes with what you need. opensuse gnome, ubuntu. i kinda like ubuntu gnome's environment better.

deepin website

ubuntu gnome website

openSUSE website

Maybe I should have posted this before if you haven't gone to these sites already.

If he isn't that good with computers I might suggest Ubuntu or Mint. Both are very user friendly and have the needed tools to do basic spreadsheets/word tasks. The install is pretty painless as well.

I just resently switched to arch and I'm loving it.

Agree - I think Linux Mint was my easiest system - I used it exclusively on my laptop for almost a year.

1 Like

Arch is a great system but from my experience it's not a good distro for a newbie to Linux. But by all means if you want to give it a shot go for it!

Guys, read the category introductory post that's pinned up on top.

Try to avoid unspecific "what distro" topics.

In practice, that means that new "what distro" threads should at least mention the following elements before warranting the creation of a new thread:

1. Specific use case scenario, including an overview of the most used applications;
  2. Specific hardware listing, including graphics cards, networking hardware and storage devices;
  3. Skill level of the intended user and whether or not the intended user receives close support from a knowledgeable person;
  4. Objective of the intended user, what does the intended user want to do with it ("because it's free" is a good reason, but doesn't warrant a new "what distro" thread, because all GNU/Linux distros are basically free);
  5. If applicable, important special requirements, e.g. in terms of security/safety (industrial applications that require real-time operation, office confidentiality, portability, exportability to countries for which there is an export ban on ammunitions, for instance a laptop for a war reporter travelling to a country that blocks outgoing pictures and comments from reporters, etc...), but also in terms of use (assisted access, access enhancements, special HID's).

Answers should also be specific enough. The reason for this is that every "what distro" thread most often turns into a listing of distros that several users like. This should not be happening, because it's not very productive to be honest. It would be much nicer if the OP would post specifics, so that users can read them attentively, and then provide very specific objective advice.

There is a distro listing in the works, that's still being completed, that will be pinned when it's a little more substantial and cleaned up, but as it's important that that list is a forum community effort, that takes a while. The end goal is to avoid "what distro" threads unless they are very specific and the answer to the question can't be had in the distro list. We should not encourage laziness to be honest, otherwise there is no point in aggregating a bunch of information to save time and effort for the community, if new posters are just going to waste that time by not reading the provided material. So I hope you'll all encourage this new modus operandi, and participate in the aggregation of thorough information, rather than in the endless repetition of superficial information, if you know what I mean. Thanks in advance!

use the search functions for it.

But yeah when you get back from deployment hit me up I will give you a hand with Linux. Vets helping vets :)

1 Like