Looking for 1440p monitor

Does check all the boxes. Damn though, I’m torn between this and that crazy acer. I kinda like the idea of having a single monitor, but IDK…

The good thing is that I’ll have time to sit on this, since don’t need this display for about a month or so.

I ordered the one I linked, scheduled to be delivered Saturday (which really means Monday or Tuesday).

I’ll let you know how it is. Turns out you and I have been search for nearly the same thing for a monitor.

1 Like

sweet!

I’ve been almost sold on the idea of a 1440p ultrawide, so I hesitate to go with another 16:9…

I was thinking 21:9 too, but cost is a limiting factor. I also like using two monitors and I’m not sure if I could do an UW with another monitor stacked on top of it.

1 Like

Ah, for me, it’s more about screen real estate. Since I’ve written code to allow Kwin to tile windows, I don’t have to worry about snapping and whatnot. I just want display space.

I just ordered this will report back next week when it comes in .

1 Like

So needless to say I completely forgot about this.

Anyways, I’m really bad at reviewing peripherals, so

• DPI is definitely fine. Glad I went with a 27" for 1440p.
  • Stand is pretty garbage. It’s stable, but short and only has tilt adjustment. I swapped the stand with one from an ASUS PB238Q to bring it up to a good height.
  • Screen came with janky settings, was set to warm tone + HDR + black adjustment + weird gamma. Changed it all and it’s good. Not as good as the LG 4K next to it, but definitely still good.
  • Bezel is thin, about 5/16" from the edge of the last pixel to the outer edge of the monitor.
  • I can’t test HDR or Freesync because my newest GPUs are 980 Tis :frowning:

Granted if you are going UW (which still sounds nice even after this monitor) then none of the above really matters much.

1 Like

Thanks for the review. I’m still kinda undecided. Sounds like the stand and default calibration are the weak points, but it’s a good display overall?

Yes, it’s pretty nice. Colors are vibrant without being oversaturated, my unit has minimal IPS backlight bleed, the build quality seems good, and I don’t seem to get eye strain using it. I didn’t even really calibrate it, I didn’t change the RGB settings at all.

It seems to have a lot of menu options too, there are multiple profiles that can be saved, color balance can be changed, gamma, brightness, refresh rate, response time, et cetera. It also has reticle options those that like to cheat in an FPS.

This is what I have, it may not check all of your boxes, but its the right size, has a good stand, 75Hz and it’s cheap. I like it quite a lot myself.

How much do thicc bezels bother you?

https://www.necdisplay.com/p/PA271Q-BK-SV

That’s waay out of budget, but thicc bezels aren’t super annoying as long as I have good image quality.

2 Likes

Oh shit, I didn’t see the $300. I just looked at the spec requirements :frowning:

Sorry.

1 Like

No worries. It’s a damn good monitor, but I really would prefer something less expensive. I’m still leaning towards that 38in acer uw.

Kinda got a hardon for it.

And with my 2 weeks officially in, I’ve got a set time frame for figuring out my display setup, so I’m going to have to pull the trigger soon. Assuming I don’t work something out to hang on to the ones I have.

2 Likes

I’ve been looking for 1440p monitor now for a while. My current options are this,priced around 300€ in Finland (didn’t notice anyone recommending this):

And that Dell U2719D I linked earlier. Unfortunately neither has freesync and both are 60hz panels. That BenQ is quite old model already, but according to this review it should probably be ok even today.

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/benq_gw2765ht.htm

I would probably go for Pixio monitor if they were available in EU. Really hard to find IPS montior with freesync and high refresh rate that would also be affordable. :confused:

The pixio px329 just came in yesterday and for the price it’s pretty damn good. Still have to do some more testing with Nvidia card and freesync but overall I don’t think you will be disappointed. Stand is a regular stand with no movement .

Acer CB271HU bmidprx 27”

doesn’t check your freesync box, but it’s 10-bit and overclockable to 75hz if you drop it down to 8-bit.
personally using the U2717D which Dell sent as a replacement for my U2715H. Despite being an intended replacement, Dell cut corners and it’s an inferior panel (color repro, input lag). Supposedly, the U2719D resolved the aforementioned shortcomings.

Nixeus 1440p ips
I have it, its okay and super cheap
Although if you plan on gaming with it I do not recommend anything but 1080p, I actually regret the purchase

How’s the color on the Pixio? Blacks good?

Did you ever get freesync (nvidia edition) working?

I think overall the colors are great. Right next to those Samsung’s I linked I can’t tell much of a difference. Although disclaimer my eyes are not super calibrated for that type of stuff . So take my word with however much salt you need to. I have not messed anymore with freesync. I will try and get back with you tonight or tomorrow.

1 Like