Looking for 1440p monitor

Hi all,

I’m looking for a monitor. I’m pretty picky here, so please bare with me.

I don’t really have a budget specified at the moment because I’m just probing to see what’s out there at the moment. Ideally, I’d like to keep this around $300 each, but I’m willing to fudge it a bit.

I’m looking for two monitors and favor Dell monitors, since I’ve had a great experience with them in the past and like the aesthetics.

So, down to business:

• 1440p is a must have
  • freesync (not super necessary, but I’d like to play around with adaptive sync)
  • 75 to 100hz
  • IPS (I think, I like the richer blacks that my IPS has, over my TN, so… that’s what this really means)
  • between 24 and 30 inches, 27 would be ideal.
  • I need good color reproduction, but it doesn’t necessarily have to be Adobe RGB.
  • Good stand, on the same level as the Dell Ultrasharp monitor stands (or recommendations for a dual monitor arm)

I guess I should say here, I’m prioritizing a good image over refresh rate. I’d rather have a really solid image over high refresh rate. These displays will mostly just be used for programming, but occasional gaming, which is why I’m looking for something a bit over 60hz.

These are the two on my wishlist

1 Like

I have two of these and plan to put them vertical on each side of one of those above.
32" monitor vertical is something that takes bit to get used to.

1 Like

Have you thought of getting one big 21:9 monitor rather than two 1440p monitors? I’m very happy with my 34" 3440x1440 monitor.

I’ve thought about it. I don’t know about it. I don’t really know what’s available. I’d consider it, but I’ve got 2x 24in right now, and I’d definitely want something that’s about the same size as that, so preferably, 38-40in if I’m going 21:9

I saw this bad boy, but that’s quite a price:

They look good, what’s the refresh rate? it’s not listed on the Amazon page.

Dang, they’re good, but they’re also a bit more expensive… :frowning:

I’m not sure why you’d need 37" when you’re going 21:9, a 34" 21:9 monitor has as much vertical space as a 27" 16:9 monitor, for example, so it would be a bigger monitor than your 2x24" in terms of height, and in terms of width I have no problem doing multiple tiled windows on it, 2-3 of them, without there not being enough room for text. (There are also 32:9 monitors, that are completely like dual monitors but without the bezel, that’s probably why you think you need something bigger, but almost all of those except the one you linked are 1080p vertically, which is bad at that size.)

2 Likes

I suppose that’s fair.

I’m thinking more about horizontal space, but I suppose I should consider the 34in displays as well.

If you have a recommendation for a 34in, I’d love to see it. I’m completely green in that area, so I’d have to rely on reviews and recommendations.

There’s a new LG one, forgot the model number, which has the advantage of not using the same IPS panel supplier the others use which may have QC issues. Dell/Alienware (same company) reportedly though has less QC issues with them than others do.

I personally own a Samsung quantum-dot display curved monitor, a cf791, and although I love the Quantum-Dot lighting with a Samsung VA panel, the Freesync is really sub-par with it (I just started experiencing that after Nvidia added Freesync support to their cards with the latest drivers) as well as the displayport cable it ships with (though replacing that with a VESA-certified DP 1.4 cable solved my issues with that part.) Other than that though it’s a very good monitor.

1 Like

It should be noted that VA has deeper blacks than IPS, though IPS has more accurate colors. Both are superior to TN, especially older TN panels which tend to be really washed out.

I personally have Dell Ultrasharp u2715h
Dell is a company known for their highly competitive products that please the eye and offer highly praised performance.This UltraSharp is an IPS monitor. IPS panels provide the widest color range without much distortion. I also can recommend BenQ XL2730. saw this one at my friends house, looked pretty good.

1 Like

The Samsung 32" are 60hz. That’s why I have the other two on my list.

I wonder if there is a cheap 1440p Monitor that also has Freesync but isn’t 144Hz.

I mean it won’t matter much but it’s pretty hard to drive 144Hz on 1440p with an RX 570 unless it’s for games like Rocket League or TF2 or something.

Edit: Aw screw it, I should get 144Hz if I ever get the chance anyways. It’s not like most of the games I play are demanding or anything…

What will you be using it for?

Gaming but having extra real estate is nice. I don’t know if that’s necessary on Linux though, seems like 1080p is fine, I just need a slightly larger monitor and having Freesync and IPS would be nice if it works right.

Edit: Oh crud, you were responding to OP. Nvm.

https://www.amazon.com/Acer-XF270HU-ABMIIDPRZX-FreeSync-Monitor/dp/B01NAXRX5E/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1548262031&sr=8-4&keywords=Acer+XF270HU

1 Like

As much as I like my IPS panels and would never switch back to anything else (mostly because of it’s colors), if deeper blacks / higher contrast ratio is what you’re after you might want to look at VA displays.

That said I am running an Acer XF270HUA which I got for 360,- Euro brandnew. It is fine for gaming, it has pretty strong IPS glow in the corners and it is not color accurate at all without calibration.

My second main display is an LG 32UD99-W which I use mainly for editing photos but it is also just a fantastic looking monitor. It claims to have some sort of HDR… I don’t use that really. I have calibrated it to sRGB and it does a great job at that.

I don’t know of a good jack of all trades display like you describe. At some point I stopped looking for those because the ones that exist were always lacking something and they also seemed to be way overpriced for all the compromises they came with.

So, I don’t have a real suggestion for you, unfortunately. Maybe it helps anyway… somehow. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I have this one too, very happy with it.
Real good after calibration.

After using a 32" i have come to the conclusion that 32" is a bit too tall vertically.

(if my eyes have to move up or down to look at content it’s a no go for me) . My Monitor has the option to display 19", 22", 24" 27" / 27" 16:10, 30" image stretched to the exact size or the irl dimensions of each size so i can compare between the sizes.

id recommend a 35" (28" height) or 34" (27" height) 1440p ultrawide. For the 30" option there is the (expensive) 38" ultrawide models.

1 Like

That’s the thing. I’m on the Level1 KVM, so I can’t use DP 1.4. Another reason I need to stay under 17Gbps.

Yeah, I’m ruling out all TN panels as an option and want to opt for either VA or IPS. I really would prefer more accurate colors if possible.

I have two u2415h right now, but will be returning them when I change jobs, which is why I’m searching.

Bummer :frowning: They look soo good though. I’ll keep them in mind anyways.

Progamming, gaming on a 1070 Ti, video production. I’ll be using Linux and Windows.

I’m more after color reproduction than blacks, As I understand it, the general rating for blacks looks like this: VA > IPS > TN, when it comes to the big 3.

Since you’ve brought that up, I don’t understand what sRGB, Adobe RGB, etc… are all about, what they mean, and how you’re supposed to compare monitors. Obviously, I know that it has something to do with color accuracy or the range of colors the display can produce, but that’s about all I know.

I do a lot of tiling, which is why I like horizontal width.

I mean, I’m on dual 24s right now, so it’s an upgrade regardless.

Yeah, I’m starting to lean towards the ultrawides. Especially seeing the cost of the 1440p monitors that fit my requirements, it’s looking like ultrawides are not exactly that expensive, when you consider them a replacement for dual 16:9.

1 Like

id really consider an ultrawide.

1 Like