Looking for 1440p monitor

I’m currently drooling over this beast.

Just nervous about it working on the L1 KVM.

it’s good but the response time isn’t that great.

What I’ve seen is the GTG response time is 5ms. That’s acceptable for me. My current displays are 13.2ms GTG (according to rtings), so there’s that.

if you look at the LG it is based upon the GTG/RTG is higher than that on transitions, upto 18ms.
Check out the TFT central review on it or the equivalent LG model.

speaking of LG the newish 34" 1440p freesync model they have is supposed to have no real ghosting or overshoot. il try find it for you.

Oh, yeah, that’s not great.

That brings up a question. Does the size of the display make it more difficult to bring the response time down, due to travel distance? I’d imagine so.

No ghosting? Sweet!

What’s overshoot?

Also. This should be more gaming orientated.

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/blog/lg-38gl950g-with-37-5-ultrawide-panel-144hz-and-g-sync/

(gsyc but there should be a freesync version). Im tempted if it is good.

here is the 1440p gsync model.

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/lg_34gk950g.htm

apparently very good. But the freesync model is even better and cheaper.

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/lg_34gk950f.htm

^ freesync version. Like most freesync models you getting deeper color and proper HDMi 2.0b where as with gsync your vendor locked and they cheap out on the rest of the panel inputs.

1 Like

Not sure I’ll use the HDMI, but it’s good to have.

So now it’s a question of how much display do I need and is the LG $100 better for -4in?

I recently picked up the Acer ED347CKR

it sits around 500 bucks.

It’s a curved 21:9 though, so it might not be for everyone

3440x1440
100 Hz with Free Sync

1 Like

Like i said 32" ( 31.5" ) is sometimes too tall for some use cases ( great for video ). the 30" 16:10 is only a tiny bit smaller.

37.5" ( okay that’s 16:9 and the LG is 16:10) vs 31.5 16:9

34" UW vs 31.5"(32") 16:9

I think my preference will be to go back to 28" or 27" vertical.
the other option is a Superwide. But until the 1440p version is released i wouldn’t touch one.

I might be a minority here, but i honestly hate programming and other productivity stuff on 1440p. At work, I have a 1440p 27inch monitor, and I can say that the whole “real estate” isn’t all that great. Unless you have really good tiling support on your OS or apps, the extra real estate doesn’t help much, especially that it’s vertical. I’ve found myself annoyed by how I need to turn my head or sight to get to something on the screen. The larger size of the workspace is more annoying than useful. And I mean, in programming, what is the vertical space good for? A tiny bit less of scrolling code? There is more space for the terminal in vscode which is useful, but not necessary.
At home however, I have a 2560x1080 ultrawide and I prefer that way more than the one at work. I still get more horizontal space which has way more support - for example Gnome doesn’t support vertical snapping, but it does support horizontal snapping. I can fit more code side by side like with a 1440p panel, or a browser on one side and chats on the other, just like I do when writing this reply. If you use i3 for example, you might be able to make use of that real estate.
I also found gaming on an ultrawide very immersive, I doubt it will be that good on a 16:9 1440p screen since one has to sit further away. Also, gaming performance on an 1080p ultrawide is better.
Just my two cents on my experience with 1440p.

i know you probably know but there is an extension for that.

Some people want larger than what amounts to a 23.5" 16:9 vertical monitor though.

How about Dell U2719D? Did not see anyone mentioning this.
I know it goes way past your budget, but since you mentioned you like Dell monitors this might be for you? I like Dell monitors too. :slight_smile:

I didn’t find any reviews for this. Or well, reviews that have any solid numbers backing their judgment and conclusions.

It doesn’t have freesync and is only 60hz panel, but knowing Dell usually has good image quality I would say this is good option. If I could find some info about the input lag then this could well be my next monitor.

And to contribute to the ultrawide discussion, I personally wouldn’t consider them since I like to have stuff open on my secondary monitor while gaming, like Discord for example.

What tool is this?

1 Like

it’s the displaywars website fam.

3 Likes

So the 37.5in looks damn good here, comparing it to my current display.

I had a 40in 4k display. It was amazing. The vertical space was wonderful.

The problem was the response time and color accuracy were about as good as a drunk painting with watercolors.

Long story short, I tried the whole higher pixel density thing. I like it. I just didn’t like having thaat much vertical space, but it seems like 14-16 inches is the sweet spot for me.

maybe you should try KDE :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

What also matters is viewing distance. I’m currently ~28 inches from my monitors.

Definitely an option. Didn’t see a mention of freesync though, and at that price, I can’t justify it without some sort of adaptive sync.

2 Likes

This morning the Acer VG271U went on sale for $370 at Newegg. Checks all the boxes except stand I think.

• 1440p
  • 144Hz
  • Freesync
  • IPS
  • 10-bit color
  • 27"
1 Like

I have this and I use it primarily for Photoshop and 3D CAD modeling. Don’t let the OMEN label fool you. It’s more like a pro HP screen with a few gaming features. Color quality is excellent. Freesync is working with my Geforce card 75Hz.
$330

1 Like

Depends on what youre doing.
Have you tried resolving git merge conflicts in visual studio? The program itself already has like a bijillion windows going on that are usually docked to somewhere. You really feel claustrophobic doing that, not sure if 1440p would change that. (will so be switching to vscode the second we have the programm fully migrated to .net core, I think). I would not complain if I had a 1440p at work at all. Would be helpful a lot of the time.

I’m programming in C# at work as well. I can confirm that VS is still awful, I’m using vscode instead.

1 Like