Looking at an AM4 upgrade, could use some advice

Hey all,

I’ve been toying with the idea of building a TR4 system, but decided I don’t really have a usecase for it. Therefore, I’m going to be upgrading to a 1700x now that my 2600k has died on my work machine.

This is going to be an all around workstation. Passthrough, Video editing (Linux), Linux Development, Games (1080p@75hz).

I’m trying to stay around $1200, so I’ve decided to reuse ram that’s been sitting on my desk. It’s not QVL’d and it’s not fast, but it will hold me over for the time being.

Two main concerns that I’d like help with: Case and PSU. I’ve also got a 580 that will be going into this system and I’d like to get a case with good airflow and a top-mount for a 240mm radiator. I’d like to keep the case below $120 USD.

This is what I’ve got so far:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU AMD - Ryzen 7 1700X 3.4GHz 8-Core Processor $279.99 @ Amazon
CPU Cooler Corsair - H100i v2 70.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler $99.99 @ Newegg
Motherboard Gigabyte - GA-AX370-GAMING 5 ATX AM4 Motherboard $149.99 @ Newegg
Storage Intel - 600p Series 512GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive $184.99 @ SuperBiiz
Video Card MSI - GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GB GAMING X Video Card $303.49 @ SuperBiiz
Power Supply SeaSonic - FOCUS Plus Gold 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $89.99 @ SuperBiiz
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total (before mail-in rebates) $1138.44
Mail-in rebates -$30.00
Total $1108.44
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-11-20 18:44 EST-0500
1 Like

Fractal Design Meshify is nice. Check for top mount rad support though.

1 Like

Just a little warning, Intel NVMe if you’re going with the Optane line only play nice with Intel platforms. (IKR?) I’d veer towards Samsung if all you can find is Optane down the line.

A 240mm radiator on the top with the Meshify C will require low profile Corsair LPX RAM. You might want to double check the QVL for Corsair’s LPX RAM and your motherboard.

Just get a 1700 IMO unless you dont want to OC. I am honestly more for Custom loop or AIR, AIO are kind of meh imo.

Save you a few $$ if you pick up this mini for $100 less

3 Likes

Microcenter has the 1700X for $230 right now.

That cooler is excessive. A good aircooer will be plenty, more reliable, cheaper and quieter. Would also give you more case options

That GPU is hugely overpriced.

I assumed no microcenter since no parts were listed from there, if there is one close he can save some more $$ off mobo too.

1 Like

Microcenter isn’t always listed on PCP for some reason. Assuming prob because of the in-store only nature of many of their deals.

But yup. They have bundles now that work out to like $40 off.

Looks like Cali has one but its in LA no SD where OP is at, but he might have a trip up there at some point.

2 Likes

Ahh alright. Well even if not that is still a good deal for the 1700X. It’s only a little more than the 1700s. I think it’s a good deal even at $280

Only thing that leaped out at me. Those intel drives are a whole lotta muh… Nvme boot, sdd 500 to 1t, and a large bulk storage hdd is a decent way to set up. You can really get by with an aircooler if the case allows. BEquiet Dark Rock pro 250 tdp version or a Noctua 15 or something. With that budget ? You have some pretty decent wiggle room to change your mind. I would consider a 1700 instead and save few dollars to put somewhere else.

1 Like

Make sure your not running more then 2 DIMMs if you’re planning on using random RAM. In my experience Ryzen doesn’t like to clock the RAM at any decent rates once you start using more then two.

1 Like

Are you planning to overclock? If yes, get the 1700 for (basically) same performance and included cooler (could technically overclock with the stock cooler too).

1 Like

Thank you all for the replies. Now for the mention spam!

Thanks for the suggestion. I think I’m going to go with this case. Definitely suits my build and I love the front!

I wasn’t going to use the drive for Optane. The goal for this is just a fast drive for Linux. I’ve got an additional sata SSD that will be for my VMs.

Looking at the benchmarks, I’m definitely going with the Corsair one.

Good call, I chose that because I’ve got the RX 580 Gaming X currently, so they’d look pretty much the same, but I suppose for that amount of price savings, it’s a no brainer.

It’s a 300 mile round trip through some terrible traffic, so if I can save more than $250 on the build, I’d be okay with it, but anything less than that and my car will only break even.

Thanks for doing the digging though.

For the time being, I’m going to use a matched 16GB (2 dimms) set that isn’t on the QVL, but it should be okay. I’m not trying to run an XMP profile right away. I just need to get this operational. If I’m going to buy RAM, it’s going to be 32GB, and I can’t go too far out of my budget for that. I appreciate the advice.

So, about the overclock, it’s important that I hit 4GHz. I’ve heard that it’s not guaranteed to hit 4GHz on the 1700. That was my reasoning for the 1700x, as my understanding is that they’re binned a bit higher. If the air cooler is going to do fine, I guess I’ll be switching to something else. Any suggestions on an air cooler that will handle 4GHz?

Component Selection Base Promo Shipping Tax Price Where
CPU

AMD - Ryzen 7 1700 3.0GHz 8-Core Processor
$269.99 Free two-day shipping with Amazon Prime $269.99 Amazon
Buy
CPU Cooler

be quiet! - Dark Rock Pro 3 67.8 CFM Fluid Dynamic Bearing CPU Cooler
$74.49 $74.49 SuperBiiz
Buy
Motherboard

ASRock - X370 Taichi ATX AM4 Motherboard
$184.99 -$30.00 FREE $154.99 Newegg
Buy
$30.00 mail-in rebate

Memory Choose Memory
Storage

Corsair - Force MP500 120GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
$70.99 $2.99 $73.98 Newegg
Buy

Western Digital - Blue 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
$144.99 Free two-day shipping with Amazon Prime $144.99 Amazon
Buy

Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
$41.77 $41.77 OutletPC
Buy
Add Additional Storage
Video Card

MSI - Radeon RX 580 8GB ARMOR OC Video Card
$279.99 Free two-day shipping with Amazon Prime $279.99 Amazon
Buy
Add Another Video Card For 2-Way CrossFire
Case Choose A Case
Power Supply

SeaSonic - FOCUS Plus Gold 850W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply
$89.99 -$20.00 FREE $69.99 Newegg
Buy
$20.00 mail-in rebate

Well ? If you feel you must hit 4.0ghz. Spend more money and I still feel it is unrealistic to expect to. Maybe you should consider intel.

The value proposition isn’t good enough for Intel IMO. I guess if I can hit 3.8-3.9 I’ll be happy.

RX 580

The primary reason I’m going the nvidia route on this build is so I can blacklist the AMD drivers in Linux and make passthrough easier. I’d much rather stay nvidia on this one (even though I hate their driver support on Linux)…

WD Caviar Blue 1TB

Already have a 3TB from my previous workstation (and a 500GB WD Blue sata SSD)

Out of curiosity, any suggestions for RAM? If I get any, I’ll want to go 32GB, 3000 or 3200. Don’t worry too much about the budget, just looking for betterish value. Don’t care about RGB either.

Thermalright Macho probably, the bigger Noctuas, Thermaltake, pick one.

In that case the 1700 would suffice. Also not sure how big the difference between 3.9 and 4.0 is to begin with.

This is the air cooler I have on my 1700… I am getting 3.9GHZ at 1.3625 volts, load line calibration level 2.

For case I have this one:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811163378&ignorebbr=1&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-PCPartPicker,%20LLC--na--na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

Awesome case… 4 fans, 3 intake, 1 exhaust, open top. Keeps temps well in check.

2 Likes

I’m using be Quiet! Silent Loop 280mm on my 1700X and it stays at 33°C all the time. (I was once running winrar5 for quite a time and it only it 36°C) So, even though a water cooler is a overkill, I do like mine :slight_smile:

It’s DDR4, isn’t it? (Just checking^^)

It’s technically sitting in my unused Z170 board, so yes. It’s DDR4. :smiley:

I do agree. I’m still working from the mentality of the 1950x, so I’m used to thinking the AIO is more or less a requirement.

Sweet! How are your temps with that setup?

From what I remember, each 0.1GHz was worth about 2-3 cinebench (1T).

When gaming ESO or iRacing usually 60C and below with ambient around 15 to 18C.