Looking at an AM4 upgrade, could use some advice

Hmmm, that’s a bit higher than I’d like it. I’m in a hot region, so during summer, that will be hell.

Depending on what you are doin you can crank up the fans… I probably could have gotten away with 1.35 volts but went up the extra level to ensure stability. Even in warmer weather add 10C and thats 70 to 73 at most, still very liveable.

Fair point. I’ve spent waaay too much time on the software side of things.

That’s a good point. What’s max safe on these chips?

Sooooo basically not a lot? Across 8 threads (assuming perfect scale) that’s 24 points. At 4GHz they’re about 1600 as I remember, so you’d loose 1.5% if my math isn’t totally off…

Eh, it’s your money I guess :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Max is 95C on the 7’s.

Oh, 70 is perfectly fine in that case.

I was pretty sure you wouldn’t miss that in the first place, but checking doesn’t hurt :smiley:

Well, in the end it’s your decision. I went for a better cooling solution because I don’t think I’ll be upgrading my CPU (or MB) in the near future.

Are you living in Siberia?

1 Like

Yeah, I’m leaning towards a good air cooler. The NH-U12S seems like a decent deal.

Not really… 15 to 18C is what it is in my apartment(60 to 65F). I try not to run the heat and can tolerate chillier temps.

1 Like

It sure is!

I sort of had this temperature when I was still living with my parents, because I had my window open all the time. But given the fact that my wife prefers warmer room temperatures in general, it’s a bit warmer in here now :smiley:

I also sweat a fair bit while iRacing so having the chillier temps is nice.

2 Likes

That’s fair. I definitely get seriously sweaty with some things.

@gnif mentioned Ryzen having problems using random assortments of ram. If I were to buy 2x8GB now, and add another 2x8GB later (same model number), would you foresee a problem there?

Build as of this post:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU AMD - Ryzen 7 1700 3.0GHz 8-Core Processor $269.99 @ Amazon
CPU Cooler Noctua - NH-U12S SE-AM4 CPU Cooler $59.90 @ Amazon
Motherboard ASRock - X370 Taichi ATX AM4 Motherboard $154.99 @ Newegg
Storage Corsair - Force MP500 480GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive $229.99 @ Amazon
Video Card Zotac - GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GB Mini Video Card $239.99 @ Amazon
Case Fractal Design - Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case $69.99 @ Newegg
Power Supply SeaSonic - FOCUS Plus Gold 850W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $69.99 @ Newegg
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total (before mail-in rebates) $1144.84
Mail-in rebates -$50.00
Total $1094.84
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-11-21 14:46 EST-0500
1 Like

You could forego the 1060 for a 1050ti and get the ram you need now. I dont know how much the extra GPU horsepower affects your workload.

Ram prices kind of went stupid after Ryzen launch. Black Friday sales is all I can say. I am personally running gskill ripjaws 5 at 3000 but I only paid 200 for 32 gigs. Such a value no longer exists once the compatibility for ram improved. I gambled at the start to get it.

That’s nice! I also have 32GiB, non QVL, but they are clocked at 2.4GHz. I bought them when they were discounted on Amazon for 110€, back then when it wasn’t known that Ryzen scales well with faster RAM.

Yes, 100%. Ryzen can run 4 DIMMs but it can’t clock them above 2133MHz, I had to replace my 4x 4GB with 2x 8GB to get anything faster then 2133MHz to post.

Funny ? I have 4 sticks at 3000. You might look into an bios update.

Maybe, maybe not. Depends on luck pretty much. Nothing Ryzen specific though, can happen with any model of CPU on either brand.

Different sticks have chips with different specs in them even for the same model of RAM. This is also why RAM kits exist, because they are validated to work together.

The 2133 clock is the officially supported clock. What you can reach depends on your mainboard and/or BIOS and/or silicon lottery.

1 Like

I can promise you 100% not, Ryzen doesn’t officially support quad-channel and as such won’t clock above 2166MHz with it.

eehhh… channels are not related to clock rate.

The amount of sticks is, not if it’s single, dual or quad channel.