LOL WUT!? nVidia Titan Xp Star Wars Special Edition?

In association with Disney, because where will the branding abuse stop for Star Wars, nVidia have announced special editions of their Titan Xp GPUs. Coming in both Jedi and Galactic Empire flavours with their own specific touches, the Jedi card is beat up looking and the Galactic Empire card is clean and sharp, reflecting the feel of their backgrounds in the Star Wars universe.

So, with the blurb out of the way it is opinion time, what the actual fuck? Okay cool people are free to spend their cash how they will and there is no accounting for taste but wow. Seriously, wow. Someone is going to buy this, but I wonder who and for what possible reason. It is not like they will be used for actual tasks befitting of their power provided. I know a lot of these flagship cards become show pieces anyway but this is something else completely. Basically display only cards, for custom builds to be shown off. Builds that will never be used, or broken down after shows and re-purposed or resold for actual use. But by posting here, I have pretty much validated their existence all readyā€¦ Exposure for both Disney and nVidia, no such thing as bad press.

So what is everyone elseā€™s thoughts on these?

Picture Round:

1 Like

Well at least the price didnt go up

Priced at $1,200, each edition also includes a collectible electroformed metal badge containing the insignia of their preferred alliance.

3 Likes

That is fair, their is ample opportunity for both parties to price gouge heavily based solely on Disney using the name and nVidia being them selves.

Unrelated but brings to mind Star Wars endorsed orangesā€¦:

11 Likes

Iā€™m still uncertain if this is in relation to the new Battlefront game or the new movieā€¦ If itā€™s the movieā€¦ just, why? And if itā€™s the gameā€¦ what kind of signal does this send? Is it so badly optimized that it needs a Titan Xp to run?

I mean they look nice, but not 1200$ nice.

3 Likes

Movie related, as far as I know. No mention of EA or Battlefront, and they are coming out in time for the movie.

Whereā€™s the JarJar Binks edition? I imagine itā€™d have extreme coil whine just to be annoying AF.

9 Likes

Ahahaha make it twice as long so it does not fit and references his tallness, only has the power of a 970. That would be too good.

I was seriously thinking though it is almost a shame the Jedi Order one does not have three LED colours, if they are basing it on the lightsabers they could have Green, Blue and Purple. Would make a bit more appealing and inclusive of the franchise while not hurting their marketing at all, I mean they all ready have a red one which any other day of the week would spawn ā€œTeam green have gone to the red sideā€ memes.

1 Like

Thoughts on those?

Well the red picture looks so damn good that I canā€™t help myself, I want one. Wonā€™t get one though, but still, the levels of want are surprisingly high.

However, Star Wars games of late have been disappointing, so I canā€™t really say that Iā€™d be happy to buy one for the sake of endorsing the gaming franchiseā€¦

free battlefront and +20 fps in battlefront

Yeah thatā€™s what I thought too.
But who is the target audience for this? Because the average Star Wars goer probably wonā€™t drop 1200$ on a GPU (personally donā€™t get why people pay that much for a GPU but thatā€™s beside the point).

Because you probably wonā€™t need it in the cinema or to watch it at home eitherā€¦ likeā€¦ what?

Thatā€™s the thing thoughā€¦ it doesnā€™t ship with it. lol.

1 Like

That is what I was thinking. Star Wars fans can be nerds but the corssover of die hard SW nerds and hardcore gamers has to be pretty small, then throw in a $1200 price tag it is has to be near single digits.

That is why I was figuring these will never actually be used for anything close to what they can do, they are show pieces. The reality is that they could have put these coolers on 1070/80ā€™s and done much better sales, be accessible and actually get used in rigs that will show them off a little (not convention level custom show winning PCs), look pretty good and actually get used to play games.

Like the EK Star Wars CPU blocks. aimed at an appropriate level of fan, nothing crazy expensive, goes into reasonable builds and sets a theme. Not Titan Xp levels of crazy. Just kind of an odd item in the configuration they put out.

2 Likes

Yeah thatā€™s what I would think too, why the Titan Xp of all cardsā€¦

1 Like

Incentivising sales of products of which stock is too high: slap a fancier (looking) cooler on 'em and get rid of them before the next product launch forces prices down.

Edit: Iā€™d bet $1200 some people will buy both of them for a ā€œsetā€ as well. Coming up: SLI Titan Xp Star Wars Edition Empire vs. Jedi Order photo shootsā€¦

Well if sign into GeForce Experience you get early access to buy 1 of each. So yeah they are definitely all ready planning on that.

I refused to install that garbage even when I owned a 1070, and recommended to the friend who bought it from me to stay far away from it as well.

What I shouldā€™ve said here was ā€œI donā€™t have GFE and so I have not seen this but it does not surprise me.ā€ :zipper_mouth_face:

1 Like

I saw this earlier and found it appropriate.

13 Likes

That looks fucking retarded.

2 Likes

Even Lucas knew where to stop with the merchandising tie-ins. He never had a promotion with a car. I thought I had seen everything with that, but thisā€¦this is inconceivable!

Also, the Jedi one isnā€™t dirty enough and has no dings or scorch marks.

I think itā€™s more likely tied to the Battlefront, because otherwise the Empire Edition would be the First Order Edition.

These are actually cool, but it feels like the lines in many of the emblems are too thick. Itā€™s a minor point of contention though.

Cool Iā€™ll buy one of these to go with my color coded RGB strobe light, internal components matching colors (Including the HDDs and SDDs cause fuck it) that go with my colored water block Star Wars themed virginity powered machine. Complete with a matching Keyboard, Mouse, desk, fuck it I painted the room matching colors. My CPU has matching colors. The cables are matching colors. My bed sheets are star wars themed. I got a storm trooper tattooed on my ass for this machine.

Seriously though I donā€™t get it. Iā€™m a fan and I wouldnā€™t buy it. I donā€™t understand this, consoles did it and now its coming to PC. I donā€™t give a shit about colors, themes, any of that. All I care about is performance. ā€˜Does it do itā€™s job?ā€™ That is the question to answer. It doesnā€™t matter if it matches, lights up, whatever. I want it to perform.

Agreed. This is pretty much it. I wouldnā€™t even consider it if the cost was tacked up, or any performance was lost.

2 Likes

Not a word from EA on any of this and no game tie in promotion stuff. While the first order are the new guys in the movie, the Empire is just coolerā€¦ Yeah, so I guess thatā€™s why it is there.

Might lose some nerd points here, but I believe they use Darthā€™s lightsaber on nVidias website along side the card animating on and off as you scroll up and down.