Linux Phone Hub

Someone has replaced the modem firmware with open source firmware, and was able to make a call on the 4g LTE network.

Yes! More open, more better.

7 Likes

WOW!

VoLTE on an almost completely open firmware, apparently the only blob is the ADSP firmware.

@PhaseLockedLoop any insight as to what the legal issues would be with shipping this on the device instead of this being a end user flashing thing?

2 Likes

As long as any technology used is open and they acquired the blobs the legal way then there should be no issue legally

If they reverse engineered quecetels firmware and made it open as in its all their code. Its a gray area but technically completely legal as long as no blob is left over

1 Like

Edit: Never mind I found it. Chatty is the name.

Anyone happen to know the name of the app/package for sms texting on Manjaro? I was having issues with it and uninstalled, but now I can’t find it in the app store thing to reinstall and a bit of googling hasn’t helped.

1 Like

Whoo doggy. Can’t wait until mine can take these pictures.

1 Like

I’m on the 2-3-2021 postmarketOS edge release, and my MegaPixels app makes everything look super blue and can’t actually save photos. I know Martijn Braam is the lead developer for pmOS on the PinePhone, and that’s the platform he’s using for the MegaPixels work. I wonder if he’son an unreleased version?

2 Likes

So I definitely have a new favorite OS and it took me completely by surprise because no one talks about them, but I swear that these guys consistently deliver the best and most polished and technically proficient Linux distributions and get no appreciation for it.

openSUSE Tumbleweed:

https://en.opensuse.org/HCL:PinePhone

I was pretty surprised at the level of documentation and holy crap everything just works and works great. The default image is running Plasma Mobile, and I have so far had none of the bugs that have been plaguing all of my other systems.

Stuff I’ve tested so far:

• Phone - working fine
  • SMS - working
  • MMS - not working
  • Wifi and bluetooth - working
  • Front and rear cameras - working with MegaPixels (terribly)
  • Audio - working (apparently uses a patched Pulse Audio but by default that patch is installed)

Also, SSH is enabled by default, and it supports Flatpak with just a single root command.

So far I’m pretty thrilled. This is a landmark moment for me. I’ve got openSUSE Tumbleweed running on my home desktop, and my laptop. I’ve openSUSE Leap running on two servers, and I’ve also got Leap running on two workstations. And now a phone. And all by complete accident because they just worked the best out of everything I tried.

4 Likes

it took me completely by surprise because no one talks about them

In related news, Fedora Rawhide has apparently shipped Phosh with Pipewire calling in a usable fashion.

1 Like

Also Pine64 has announced KDE will be the default OS for the PinePhone.

I’ll hopefully be giving a final update on Posh soon since KDE has seemed to have completely caught up to Posh and even beats it in a few ways. I still haven’t tried KDE recently though.

2 Likes

Glad to see KDE take the lead. Phosh was more usable at first, but also worse in every way from a UX standpoint. Now that KDE performance has caught up, it’s really a no-brainer.

Honestly, KDE looks poised to take over the Linux UI ecosystem by storm. The development is so active and fast-paced, and things seem to be going very smoothly for them right now.

1 Like

Pine64 has announced KDE will be the default OS for the PinePhone.

Manjaro Plasma, specifically!

We expect severe component shortages and major component price hikes after CNY. I am writing this to prepare you for what is to come.

Industry wide, this is going to be a problem. They’re just admitting it. Brace yourself, and expect this to affect producers of flagship devices, too.

[W]e’re working on a plan to actively support mobile Linux projects moving forward. Talks are held with all major projects and we already have some ideas on how to provide developers with ongoing support. Aside from projects which received a Community Edition, we are now also talking to Maemo Leste, LuneOS, openSUSE, DanctNIX and Fedora developers.

Suse! Fedora! WTF is a DanctNIX?

These patches, currently in a testing stage, should make the PinePhone wake up and start ringing on the first dial tone when there’s an incoming call or text, as well as fix intermittent USB resets that show up when resuming from suspend.

New patches in testing!

I do nonetheless want to give you a general sense of the sort of hardware that we’ll be delivering. Our first SBC will feature two RISC-V CPUs, the main one being a C906 64-bit SoC coupled with an auxiliary 32bit BL602 SoC for WiFi and BLE. The C906 is already capable of running Linux and, from what I understand, is completely open while the BL602 is in the process of being open sourced

We’re officially crossing threads. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Holy. Crap.

Between the 5.19 and 5.21 releases there have been tons of improvements to Plasma Mobile. Including screenshots…

5 Likes

HALLELUJAH!

1 Like

Does it auto-switch audio configuration when making calls yet?

That’s kinda required…

1 Like

Nice! This is actually something I use fairly often.

I’m going to briefly try KDE and if basic stuff works I’ll be switching over today.

2 Likes

This is still a problem‽… Oh no, I let the screen timeout during an update, so now KDE is borked.

I swear, this is such a big annoyance every time I try KDE.

Edit: Yup, completely broken. Guess I’ll reflash it.

I got it reflashed, but I wasn’t going to be able to babysit it right then, so it’s put on hold. Probably get back to it tomorrow.

Does anyone else have this issue, or am I just missing something?

I also have this issue, and not just with KDE

Is there a not-shite linux phone yet or am I gunna have to fuck around with this S4?

Ugh I guess its a 5050 atp

The biggest problem is that the pinephone doesn’t seem to have a graphical update tool. Such a tool could stop the phone from going into sleep mode while it’s updating.

But yes, I had this issue as well.

I had good experience with my oneplus 3 on UBPorts.

But a dedicated Linux phone? Not quite there yet.