Linux Phone Hub

A simple option to keep the phone screen on while charging would be fantastic… Of course, it’s easy to say “a simple option”, but I haven’t the foggiest idea how easy that would be to implement.

I have a Volla Phone coming in the mail. It looks to be a promising phone that ships with Ubuntu. I’ll of course keep you guys posted on it.

gybpyos99cvoqjyslkwb

3 Likes

or even screen off but not in deep sleep? “do not sleep while charging” I could probably do that in a 10 line bash script.

1 Like

Honestly, that makes a lot of sense. Like I wouldn’t even care to have an option to turn that off, though I would prefer options for everything.

1 Like

So power management is done through a series of settings, which are controlled by a daemon. You know, linux power settings on a normal laptop? Same deal. It’s just config files written and a kill -USR1 sent to the daemon to reload the config.

At least to the best of my knowledge.

So I don’t see why we can’t have a dbus hook that monitors power adapter plug in and removal.

I might give it a go one of these days, but currently I’m busy rebuilding my work’s entire production stack.

1 Like

https://www.freedesktop.org/software/systemd/man/systemd-inhibit.html

Systemd has native inhibit features. Might be useful to start there.

Various power managers do have support for all of these things. It’s less a matter of implimenting features than figuring out why they aren’t working on these Pinephone builds.

2 Likes

My pinephone came in today!! WOOO!

Now I just need to figure out how to use it… Its got one of the KDE versions on it right now, not sure which. I open up one application and then I’m stuck. Can’t get back to the home screen without a reboot.

I’m probably going to have to try out some different OSs

5 Likes

Sweet! Right now Manjaro Posh is the most stable and usable out of all the OSes I’ve tried.

Manjaro KDE (likely what you have) is extremely finicky. If you let the phone fall asleep while updating it tends to break everything.

Manjaro Lorimi is my favorite, but it needs the most work to be usable.

Yep Manjaro KDE (with Plasma 5.20.80).
Either it uses gestures I don’t know of or it is pretty far from usable.

I’m either going to try the newer version of KDE or Posh

1 Like

It sounds like the OS is broken. It should have a navigation bar at the bottom, and a notification tray at the top, much like Android.

I imagine this will get squared away soon, since Pine64 has announced Manjaro KDE will be the default OS for the PinePhone.

Yeah mine has neither lol. I’ve seen the top bar twice but it doesnt stay past the lock screen.

I’m going to have do some reading on updating or changing OS

Probably got preloaded with an iffy image.

1 Like

It’s really easy! Just flash one of the distro iso to an SD card and pop it in. I use Rufus on Windows.

If you want to install it on the eMMC then there’s an added step. You’ll need to install jump drive to an SD card, pop that in the phone, and then pug your phone into a PC. Then flash the OS to the phone.

Links are in the first post at the top of this thread/topic.

Good news. Recent update to Manjaro Phosh brought Firefox up to v86, and it now plays Pandora without the cutting out problem I was having.

1 Like

That’s exciting! I’ve got some testing to do then.

I got arch posh installed last night. I really thought it was going to be more complicated than that.

Now to distro hop for a while…

1 Like

Cool! I would love to see more Linux flavors, on more phones.

Note 9 is the best phone of all time IMO, so I’d love to see a lot of focus there, but I know samsung really locks down their phones. Sad

1 Like

After updating to the most recent version of openSUSE Tumbleweed, the icon for the home button is missing, but clicking there still works for me.

Well I’ve distro hopped for a while now.

Tried arch, manjaro, postmarketos, and mobian. Most of them in both phosh and plasma if available. I cant say I’ve seen a lot of difference other than plasma vs phosh.

I did run them all on old 8GB micro sd cards that made the pinephone feel sssslllloooowwww so they all seemed pretty rough.

Sent from arch phosh installed on the emmc. Much faster. Usable level of speed but not lightning fast.

P.S. typing this i sure am missing autocorrect…

2 Likes

Stupid question, why build a new phone when enough effort could be had to make a rewer pdone into a galaxy S4

Because mine cough fire …
Those phone were really nice, QI charging pogopin header, swapable everything, but when i found mine fused to it’s charging dock that close to my bed …

Nowdays batteries safety tech are very cool to get.