Linux Phone Hub

Finally picked up an SD card and loaded jumpstart since my last update to my stock OS bricked my system. Now running Arch Phosh and it’s much more responsive. I am getting cell+SMS but data still doesn’t work for my carrier.

1 Like

I’ve been meaning to try out Arch but haven’t yet. I saw Danct on twitter mentioned they’ve got Phosh 0.12 available as an update now. I’ll probably wait for the next build/image release to give it a go, rather than starting on phosh 0.11 then updating.

re: cool stuff in the pinephone dev world. Not really something the enduser will appreciate, but the hardware/kernel sleuthing to compensate for A64 hardware crumminess is really inspiring and admirable. Harkens back to your video with GKH on computers being a mess of broken stuff that barely works.
https://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?tid=13786

New Pine Podcast episode. For those who prefer text, here’s some phone-relevant stuff.

http://briandaniels.me/2021/06/27/hardware-accelerated-video-playback-on-the-pinephone.html

3 Likes

I’ve finally done it. I’ve posted my review for the Pixel 3a.

7 Likes

I’m curious why you say the Pixel 3a can be “dailyed” given the list of cons you’ve mention.

Lack of paste, unreliable input, lack of MMS/SMS, and inconsistent Bluetooth all seem like a step backwards compared to Phosh on the Pinephone, for instance.

The only thing the Pixel 3a seems to do well is take pictures. What am I missing?

1 Like

Pinephone News Summary

• Final keyboard pre-production units now being made, production to start immediately after final review

• PinePhone now playing back accelerated video, Clapper app now available

• Wireless charging and fingerprint reader back cases being tested and reviewed in coming days; LoRa back case awaiting I2C driver
  • Arch Linux with Plasma Mobile now available to download; a SXMO build coming later this month
  • postmarketOS gets an update with quick suspend/resume support
5 Likes

New arch release came out a couple days ago for the pinephone.

There is a guide for updating modem firmware I think I will attempt.

2 Likes

i just installed that arch+phosh image on the emmc last night. The updates to phosh are super nice, it’s very smooth. I definitely want to hear how the modem firmware upgrade goes.

Can’t wait to try out the arch+sxmo build also. Seems perfect to run from an sdcard. If I can figure out p-boot I want to set it up for read-only boot and use it like tails.

1 Like

Do the Arch images have encryption? So far I’ve only seen postmarketOS ship with encryption, and I’m curious to know if any other distros are porting over that work.

1 Like

The images don’t but this install script (what i actually used to install last night) will work. I increased the pbkdf memory value on line 166 because the default was too low imo.

3 Likes

Interesting, I’ll poke around at it. Thanks!

1 Like

The (experimental) Debian installer for the pinephone also supports encryption.

Pinetime sealed units are back in stock. Anyone here use one with the pinephone? I just bought one on a whim, it’s hard to argue with the ~$25 price.

Well, the first part of that firmware procedure is to check if it’s complaining about out of date firmware, and mine isn’t. I don’t know how, as I’ve never wittingly updated it on my UBports edition. But I didn’t go forward with flashing until I can figure out how to check what firmware version is on my modem currently.

Also I was a bit disappointed with Arch. No particular reason. I just didn’t get the impression that it was any better than Manjaro, so I went back to that.

2 Likes

On Mobian, running Phosh, I can get the Modem Firmware version in the settings, under “Mobile” → “Modem Details”.

1 Like

Could you provide a screenshot or transcription of what it says there, Max? I have that in Manjaro Phosh, but it basically is just the generic part of the firmware identifier saying it is for this modem, but it doesn’t have the actual version/revision number. ie mine says version EG25GGBR07A08M2G, but omits the part I’m interested in which would be something like 1.002.05

Mine says the same in arch+phosh. It looks like that is what you should get when using AT commands to query the modem directly so I have no idea how we could see specific versions.

1 Like

I wonder what the “MT Firmware” is.

1 Like

You’re referring to section 2.7 right? I just tried it using echo 'AT+CGMR' | sudo atinout - /dev/ttyUSB2 - (after installing atinout) and it just returned the same string with no version number.

1 Like