Linux Kernel Shipping with Windows 10

In June of 2019, Microsoft will release its second version of the Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL from here on out). This will have full compatibility with Linux drivers, snap packages, Docker, Kubernetes, and so much more.

This is a fully licensed GPL of the Linux kernel. Reports are estimating it is performing up to twenty times faster than the first WSL. Native filesystem support and container support are featured as well!

No more Hyper-V for Docker on Windows. w00t! CAN I GET AN AYYYMEEENUH?!

It’s FOSS is over 9,000% assmad lmfao

Things are only going to get better from here. Apple has left a huge dent in the developer space by removing the escape key and other functionality. Microsoft is capitalizing on their shortcomings and failures in full force.

It is going to be The Year of the Linux Desktop. Thanks Microsoft!

Tagging @Eden @anon46267848 @SgtAwesomesauce

9 Likes

If anyone of you apple supporters didn’t already have a reason to leave Apple, you have one now. Escape to windows before it’s too late.

Did Microsoft die on a cross, because the things they’re doing seem like gifts from god.

5 Likes

It’s still hyper-V. WSL2 is literally running a linux VM with various windows integrations.

WSL1 was far more ambitious, translating linux kernel calls into the NT kernel. WSL2 is virtualization, which isn’t as cool, but will almost certainly work better.

3 Likes

Everything I’ve read said native Docker containers.

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Microsoft-WSL2-Coming

They could be misinformed.

1 Like

They will technically be running natively, just on a Linux VM tightly integrated with Windows.

You will technically need extra software as MS only bundles the Linux kernel with Windows, you still need to pick a distribution from the Windows store.

This is what MS calls a “lightweight VM”. More info at this presentation, if you have the patience to sit through it. I certainly didn’t. Anyway, it’s the same tech they’re using for sandboxing in the next version of Windows.

Time to wipe all of my computers, im going back to windows :^)

7 Likes

Sounds exactly like how OS X does it. I’m not mad, sounds like an improvement.

That’s a given, I would think. It’s still a “developer” feature.

MacOS virtualization software has a ton of integration, Parallels and VMware Fusion in particular. This sounds like it will go a step further; if you’ve ever used WSL1, you can run Windows commands from the Linux CLI and vice-versa, access each other’s filesystems, and so on.

Sorry, I was referring to Docker on OS X. It’s a Linux VM that integrates with OS X.

But yeah, I agree with you there. Piping Linux commands through PowerShell to Bash or vice versa was pretty badass.

when will windows 10 ship with systemd?

5 Likes

Oh sure. I never tried it, but doesn’t docker on Windows work the same way, running in an integrated vagrant VM?

1 Like

Yes! Whoop whoop!

2 Likes

I’ve never gotten it to work with Vagrant, the Docker application always reminds me to enable and install Hyper-V before proceeding :grin:

But maybe things have changed? It’s been a while since I’ve used it on Windows. I either run natively or via OS X these days :confused:

Will be interesting to see how things work in June.

Yeah I just run it natively myself. Here’s another dev blog where they talk about what a “lightweight VM” is. Basically, it’s “a VM that’s really fast and you don’t have to worry about it, go away, and stop asking already.”

2 Likes

so this fall i will have calls with customers who demand that they now delete their only Linux VM to use a Win10 VM with WSL2 to run the docker containers…

… i dont want that to happen, i really dont.

2 Likes

Just tell them this is not meant for production and that is a really bad idea. Being clients, you’ll probably have to explain that five or six times.

3 Likes

I will have to tell them, then my VP has to tell them and then the Account Manager has to tell them and when they try to smuggle in a ticket anyway the Service Desk has to tell them.

What a time to be alive.

3 Likes

Probably the day after you finish reading “Savaged by Systemd: an Erotic Unix Encounter”.

:wink:

2 Likes

Yep, that’s how the world works!

1 Like

There is already windows docker container. But what they want or already might have done is to have the same docker engine also be able to manage linux container and essentially be the only system that can do that. Not sure if running windows docker containers is that desirable if you plan to use docker u r probably better of planning to use linux containers. But some things dont run in linux if you wanna dockerize your existing asp.net (not core) application you cant use linux containers for that for example. On a cloud like azure you ideally should not have to care about the underlying operating system of your containers. They could make it work. Currently when you deploy a windows and a linux container you cant connect them in any shape or form on azure other than the internet. You cant even use azures internal networking for their container instances currently, its linux only.