Linux Kernel Shipping with Windows 10

Yes. The current process is download the Docker .msi > Install it > Install Hyper-V > Select Windows or Linux Containers > Reboot a bunch > Use Docker

The new process, from what I gather, is: Add repos (like you would on Debian or Ubuntu) > Use package manager to install docker (like you would on Debian or Ubuntu) > Add your user to the docker group (like you would on Debian or Ubuntu) > Use docker

No Hyper-V involved. No downloading an executable to run in the background. systemctl start docker && systemctl enable docker as you would on X_DISTRO

Will this in any way impact Windows 10 awesome performance in gaming?

WSL2 runs under hyper-V, so it is involved in the background, but you don’t need to mess with it yourself.

No it won’t impact gaming, why would it? Unless you’re trying to run Tux Racer or something, I guess.

Yes you can play with the linux fish then.

1 Like

A very nice update from Microsoft.

Theyve also released a new terminal with this https://devblogs.microsoft.com/commandline/introducing-windows-terminal/

allows for all terminals in one. windows cli tab, powershell tab, linux tab. You get the idea.

(fyi, if you cant update your insider build because of a ‘driver’ issue, delete your battleye folder)

4 Likes

I guess because now the translation layer for system calls is not longer needed you should be able to deploy linux container with a postgresDB which wasnt supported before under LCOW, at least, thats how i understand it for my “use case”.

It’s good to see that we are all getting along in this thread. That must mean this change was a good one :joy:

1 Like

Never understood why cmd & powershell were different to begin with tbh.
Anywho hats off for doing things they should’ve from the beginning.

Edit: Also kinda qute that they’re taking the Apple approach: quoting the RHEL CEO ‘when you stand on the shoulder of giants…’ (referring to open source software).

They open some tools to cause marketing-hype and to outsource QA.
Then again when they have ‘more important’ tools ain’t no way they’re showing that code, lol.
But that’s their business model, totally understandeable.

2 Likes

CMD is the old command prompt used for navigating the filesystem, interfacing with the registry, executing programs, and running batch scripts. Built upon from the DOS days.

PowerShell is the newer shell from Microsoft to manage Windows and Microsoft environments. It is not Microsoft attempting Bash, as they are not the same thing nor do they attempt to do the same thing. Bash interfaces with text, PowerShell interfaces with objects.

Eventually, Microsoft introduced classes into PowerShell, then branched into the PowerShell-Core/PowerShell 6 open source version, which is the version continuing today.

The reason CMD didn’t evolve into PowerShell, from everything I’ve read and heard, is several reasons:

1. CMD is still used by admins today
  2. PowerShell does things differently
  3. Eventually discontinuation of CMD (and, now, PowerShell 5.x and previous)
  4. Open Source/Cross platform solutions.
2 Likes

remembering Dosshell fondly
Came with MS-Dos 5

1 Like

Ah ok, I thought they were the same tools just functioning a different way. Like Bash & Zsh.

1 Like

Nah, common misconception though due to their kind of underground usage for a while. PowerShell has been brought into light thanks to AWS, Azure, Pester, and the dev community pitching in.

PowerShell is really worth the experience if you do anything with Azure or Windows desktop/Server. Hell, if you write and build C# it might be worth experimenting with, too.

1 Like

I completely missed that Microsoft are building Windows Terminal as open source software, and windows console.

This seems to be a continuing drive for them.

3 Likes

The video on it is fantastic.

Timestamp’d at “trailer”

Whole thing:

1 Like

I hope that WSL2 also supports installing and loading custom kernel modules.

I also wonder how they are going to solve the lack of graphics acceleration with WSL.

What else can MS have up their sleeves, I wonder, ZFS?

1 Like