Linux Intro To CLI | Tek Syndicate

Is the book good for just a home use of linux, or is it enterprise?

Both are package managers.

Apt-get is a Debian based package manager (there are various other interfaces as well, apt, aptitude, etc), its used by most Debian based Distros including Ubuntu.

Pacman is primarily used by Arch and a couple of other distros based on it like Manjaro

The second largest package manager used is yum/dnf (dnf is replacing yum) used by RPM based distros (Fedora, Red Hat, OpenSUSE, etc)

Bash is a shell, a command interpreter. Basically an command interface to the computer, it lets you talk to and run things on the computer. So for example, you can run apt-get on the command line (bash) and the command line( bash) will run the command for you.

There are various command interpreters as @wendell mentioned, with varying popularity. Probably the most popular is bash (installed by default on every distro) and zsh. Most shell interpreters allow scripting as well that wendell hinted at.

Never to early to learn it, its pretty useful, its just another interface to the computer. You'll really only ever use two, a GUI and command line.

Interesting to remember a lot of "bash" is actually just GNU coreutils commands and the like. (things like ls, cp, mv, etc.), bash allows you to manipulate the input and output of all of this.

I just saw this that may be useful, ive not look at how good it is though

http://www.bash.academy/

This also might be a handy list http://cli.learncodethehardway.org/bash_cheat_sheet.pdf

Mainly I would suggest just learn as you go. You can always google "how to do in bash"

It's on github. @Psalmist, but if you want to support the author or have it in physical form you should of course buy the book.

2 Likes

Thank you for the explanation and the info.

Have a day

That was very well done. Bravo guys.

Those people work in enterprise so yeah, it's very good. Besides that when you have a command mentioned you can bet your ass that you'll have examples for other operating systems, Linux and Unix alike. Can't recall them from the top of my head but you have RHEL, OpenSUSE, Ubuntu I think, aswell as IBM's AIX, Solaris and I think HP-UX if I'm not mistaken.

Might want to check the pdf(I think you can see a small portion of it online, maybe even on amazon) before you buy the book but at least from my part it has been very useful. Try it out.

Thanks will take a look at it.

Your are quite simply a fucking legend. Thank you for these tips

Great Vid

Risking sounding like a total idiot (and probably am tho)

What's the benefit of emacs over nano for daily use? (i.e. editing config files, opening logs, etc)

I'm talking on the side of distro builders. Why is emacs more common on distros than nano. Most users won't use the C-x M-c M-butterfly command. Installed emacs is 17mb worth of space vs the puny 1.6mb of nano (comparison taken from Debian Jessie package info)

As far as im aware nano is more common on distros than emacs.

That said, I prefer the command structure of emacs to vim for example, and prefer the command structure of nano to vim.

vim seems to pull you right out of what your doing to do anything command related? or am i just being dumb..

emacs is pretty extendable, you can do about anything you want. nano is a text editor plain and simple, emacs can be just a text editor or full blown IDE, anything from editing simple text to doing complex LaTeX markup.

Thanks. That's is one that I saw that I was thinking about on amazon. It's pricey but it looks very comprehensive. This is probably the one I'll go for. Thanks again for the recommendation!

Cheers

Yeah that's what I'm saying, a video series walkthrough of GUIs.

What specifically are you interested in? Perhaps we can find you
something geared towards what you're looking for that will get you on
the right path.

I already know my way around. It's for the noobs that I want this, so that I can point to it later to show people. We would be better off with more desktop environment video tutorials and walkthroughs out on the Internet, in my opinion.

1 Like

One of the most simple reasons for using Vim over a GUI editor for me is that it can eat up massive textual files.
For example, if you have a 1GB MySQL database dump, most (if not all) GUI editors would probably keel over before opening the file or, at the very least, take a rediculously long time to open. Open the file in Vim and you'll be able to modify that file in no time.

There's even Gvim for Windows if you want a GUI editor

This was great. I had to teach PowerShell for that other operating system at work the other day and realized how badly I missed using any of the UNIX/LINUX shells. I hate PowerShell's verbosity and that too many cmdlets fail to support pipelines.

p.s. Save a step in vim when moving a line as dd,p instead of y,p,dd. Like yank, dd moves the content to the register just before the delete.