Linux Intro To CLI | Tek Syndicate

With the assistance of Griz, watch as the Linux CLI (Command Line Interface) becomes a little less daunting using the BASH command interpreter. Introducing dirs, stack theory, ~ shortcuts, sudo !!, vim, bashrc, and tmux. Just to state a few. This is for people who have a little bit of command line experience in Linux.

If you're feeling lost, let us know and we can do simplified videos.

Or if this is simple to you, we can do videos on the tougher commands.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://teksyndicate.com/videos/linux-intro-cli
7 Likes

I'm bashing my head due to the intro pun right now. I'll see myself out now.

Awesome ! history alone is going to save me lots of time mashing the up arrow :)

Great video! I'm definitely going to be playing around with tmux more. I've always used Terminator terminal when I've wanted my terminal to have multiple panes in one window.

On a side note, the two things I learned early on that amazed me was CTRL-D (exit) and CTRL-L (clear). Every time I use Command Prompt or Powershell on windows it is always covered in ^L when I'm trying to keep my terminal clean.

Also, rather cheeky of you to put in this joke in the video :P

5 Likes

You guys should like totally zoom into the tiny text when you don't need to show the full screen....

OBS on the console window would be nice. At 1080p the console was pretty pixelated BUT very readable just A.D.D distracting.

Still loved the way you did a bash video highlighting some non obvious tips that are super useful.

excellent vid!

I've have never made use of the dir stack and definitely didn't know I could access the history that way.

MORE PLEASE!!!

2 Likes

Thanks for the video, Just started using linux, using Manjaro right now working good learning lots of stuff. Was wondering does Manjaro use bash commands?
I have only used pacman to do things.
And for the next video a larger font would be great.

Have a day

Definitely going to give Tmux a try. Like @snakeHatter I've been using Teminator. This is the sort of Linux content I would like to see. I know the basics, knowing how to go a step further is what I need.

Personally I've replaced Bash with Zsh. Its basically the same thing but with a few small enhancements. I really only use the tab completion, but there are others that I'm not familiar with. I also need to use dirs. I like the idea of keeping a bunch of directories in a list and just memorising the number that is associated with that directory. Could save me a lot of time.

But first, I ran out of space on /root and can't use the system beyond a command line. oops.

Yep, Manjaro uses Bash as default. you can use cd, ls, history etc without issue. Pacman is just your package manager. Debian based distros like Ubuntu use apt-get and Red Hat distros like Fedora and CentOS use Yum (Its actually DNF now I think).

Also I agree, slightly bigger font would be nice.

Nice video ! i like the way you explain the various commands in bash as well as in other programs, it already helped me out of a spot of trouble.
if you can find the time for more video's like this my learning curve will benefit THANKS!!

Great Video! Made me want to play with linux more.

Quick question, how do i get a tabbed drop down terminal in Gnome Fedora?

Awesome stuff. I could really use tmux, however the shortcuts are a pain in the ass on a Nordic (Danish) keyboard layout because all the symbols like ? " % is in the shift layer, and if I use the right ctrl button, I have to use the right shift button too, and vice versa with the left buttons. Ctrl-b-? is thus four keys and incidentally, it does not work in any combination of ctrl and shift. Splitting panes does work however.

Edit: And ctrl-b left/right arrow does not move between windows (panes) as you say, it just resize them.

Edit 2: Oooooh, so you don't hold down ctrl-b you just click it and realease and then hit left/right/o or whatever. Neat, now everything works (However I still need to use shift and Alt Gr a lot)

Saving me from looking like a fool to myself when I try to use it later. Thanks!

1 Like

I found out you can change the keys for some tasks. You just make a ~/.tmux.conf file.
For instance here, they change the Ctrl-b to Ctrl-a using this text in the conf file.

# remap prefix to Control + a
    set -g prefix C-a
    # bind 'C-a C-a' to type 'C-a'
    bind C-a send-prefix
    unbind C-b

(Click RAW in the top right corner to get the actual configurations as they are set up in the conf file.) https://gist.github.com/andreyvit/2921703

This is very interesting stuff to start playing arround with.

psssh i could read it at 480p on my moto e just fine, although that would help a little

Im dont care I have a 40 inch screen and it makes me squint. Im not getting wrinkles because of you !

Just wondering if this could be done to help you out get a usb number pad for accounting and then reprogram the keys on the pad to get you control Alt and any other key you may need.

1 Like

For anyone that fell into the same trap I did with tmux, after you press ctrl+B, release it before pressing the next key stroke.

I found this video to be exceptionally useful and it's something that I will use and tell others about so, yeah, really appreciated it.
What would be handy though would be recommendations for further reading. Running it through a search engine is okay but a recommended article goes down a lot better.

1 Like