Linux Intro To CLI | Tek Syndicate

Real programmers use Emacs. Everyone needs a lisp interpreter in his editor. (Full disclosure: I've been using vi for 35 years and refuse to change now.)

2 Likes

PS to last post: Great job Wendell and Griz. You guys are my youtube heros.

Wow, that was a seriously good video - more please!

Have to admit that based on the title I was expecting a 'noobs' style introduction to the command line. As it happens almost everything you covered was new to me and all incredibly useful. I run a couple of headless machines, this will make things a bit easier.

@wendell @ 15:40 in the video, instead of copying the line, going at the end of the file, insert a new line, pasting the copied line and going back up to delete the copied line, you could have used dd to cut the line you wanted to copy, use shift + G to go at the end of file and press p to paste the line.

As a heavy vim and tmux user I highly suggest to rebind the prefix from ctrl-b to ctrl-a by doing:

unbind C-b
set -g prefix C-a

that's for mainly one reason: A is closer to the ctrl key than B, so you can press it way faster, without having to extend your hand over the B key.

Another thing I suggest to do is to rebind the keys used for vertical and horizontal splitting to ones with a more intuitive bind, I use | to split vertically and - to split horizontally:

bind | split-window -h
bind - split-window -v
unbind '"'
unbind %

My full tmux can be found here: http://nopaste.linux-dev.org/?1118438

4 Likes

thanks for the video @wendell +Grizz! love the format and it was very informative and to the point. after watching this a couple of times and even with the limited practice i've done jumping around dummy directories i can see how powerful the "dirs" and "alias" commands can be for a bash-based workflow. will definitely be adding these to my still small and expanding developers toolbox.

one piece of feedback is i would focus the text a little bit more in the CLI as there were a couple of points where I was squinting or just guessing at what some of the smaller characters were (ex. alias dirs="dirs -v"). other than that i loved it!

Good idea, thanks for the suggestion. Yeah I think it can be done! I'm thinking maybe the whole thing can be remapped, if not in tmux, then maybe a fork. About the numpad -I'm mostly on my laptop, so carrying yet another thing around is not ideal. I've thought about just getting a UK keyboard for my lenovo, this is not the first time the nordic layout has been a pain in the ass. I rarely use the few letters specific to the danish layout, and so it's just a matter of getting the new layout into muscle memory. That'll take some time, but I'm fairly quick to learn that sort of stuff.

Edit: @spidernet got the answer. I can just rebind everything :P

1 Like

This would help for sure.

Otherwise I'm gonna go play with vimtutor now, thanks wendell.

Here's a pretty exhaustive list of zsh tricks....

http://www.rayninfo.co.uk/tips/zshtips.html

2 Likes

.bashrc is executed on interactive non-login shells (i.e. you opened xterm inside x-window, or new tab inside your konsole/gnome-terminal/terminator/etc; or simply call for /bin/bash via terminal). If you want stuff to happen when you login (i.e. type your login and password either locally or remotely), then you need to edit .bash_profile.
So what you told at 14:37 is not totally true.

Thank you for this. I confess that I've become "terminally" lazy. I used to have a pretty cool .bashrc, but this was before all the pretty gui stuff. I have an old copy of "Running Linux" but it is so out of date and falling apart that I want another more contemporary book. Any suggestions for a detailed, "can't live without" Linux book?

Hey this is cool but can we please have a series later about Linux GUIs? Like an overview of Gnome, Kde, Unity, Cinnamon, XFCE, just doing those 5 I feel would help out so many Linux noobs who aren't aware of a lot of features.

Perhaps in a desktop oriented video series, but given that this is dedicated to setting up a server I honestly think that it doesn't make much sense to talk about GUIs.

You're basically never going to use a GUI when it comes to linux and serverland stuff. There's a lot of tutorial stuff out there already, I think wendell's approach of going "just above basic, but just below already being a sys admin" is the perfect balance to fit a niche that isn't quite as easy to find on the internet.

What specifically are you interested in? Perhaps we can find you something geared towards what you're looking for that will get you on the right path.

It's nice to see a linux CLI video that doesn't start with ls, cd, touch, and echo. I'm glad to see the Linux content starting to ramp up. I've been following it since it's creation and was pretty stagnant for a few months. It would be great to see commands like tail, ssh, sftp, rsync, awk, sed, grep covered by Wendell. Even with just a basic understanding of those the true power of the CLI can be unlocked!

The linux class I have been taking this quarter has been using fedora 23 and a lot of bash. This was helpful to catch on for some of the things that, like wendell said, you just do even know exist. Thanks Guys.

Maybe this will be helpful to someone.

I remember when I had that printed out :)

Guess I will be having to open bashrc and make some tweaks.

What kind of things would you want to know?

Just installed manjaro xfce three days ago. Trying to quit windows. So far so good.
Just trying to learn some things so here is my most likely stupid question.

apt-get and pacman do the same thing ones unbuntu and the other arch, I am hoping that this is right.
Now does Bash do the same thing or something different?
And is learning about Bash at this time in my learning, stepping to far ahead of what I need to know right now.
If there is an easy wiki to read about this that would be great.

Go get UNIX Linux System Administration Handbook. It's pretty indispensable. Once you're done with it you might want to get the TCP/IP guide.