Linux Gaming

Hello all,

So I have been using Linux full-time for personal computing since 2015 and happy to report it is working without any hassles with fedora.

Currently running FX 8320 / 32GB DDR3 / R9 280.

I installed steam and tried Rocket League yesterday but the game was running like crap even at 720p.

• I don’t want to install windows 10 to play games because of their shenanigans
  • I don’t want to go PCI passthrough route as I already have tried it and had it work on the current machine, but gaming wasn’t great + reading about the current issues with ryzen, etc, I don’t want to go through hoops to install windows

Anyone here gaming on Linux (Fedora) in Steam with great results? Rocket League, CSGO, etc.

If so, what’s your hardware? Any smooth linux gaming with Ryzen?

Thanks!

fedora 26 with gtx 860m.

most games work with no problem but some run like shit regardless of settings and pin the gpu at 100% load.

what driver are ypu using?

TBH I have not fiddled with drivers with my fedora installs because they worked out of the box, how can I check what I’m running, lol

My performance is pretty good, even if streaming I get at least 40FPS.

Intel Xeon 1225V3 (4c4t basically a 3XXX series i3)
RX580 8GB (gigabyte base model) overclocked +3 percent (maxe 5%) on core.
16GB 1600MHZ Hynix Ram

Your performance is determined by your kernel. If you have 4.10 you’ll be worse off compared to 4.12 or 11. AMDGPU needs to be the newest implementation possible, and even then you might be better off on AMDGPU-PRO. I’d ask @DeusQain as he had some 290’s for a while. Don’t remember if he ran linux or not, but I think he did for a little bit.

I don’t play rocket league, but I get 140FPS in that easy, but nothing above that. Getting FX at minimum would jump me to 200 easy.

Nvidia has better gaming support on the older cards at the moment. You’re either gonna have to upgrade to polaris or sidegrade to nvidia.

If you stay with AMD you’re also gonna need the newest kernel.

uname -r
4.12.5-300.fc26.x86_64

Where/how do I install the amdgpu pro drivers

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=fedora+amdgpu-pro

Error:
Problem: conflicting requests

• package amdgpu-pro-16.40-348864.el7.i686 requires xorg-x11-drv-amdgpu-pro, but none of the providers can be installed
  • package amdgpu-pro-16.40-348864.el7.x86_64 requires xorg-x11-drv-amdgpu-pro, but none of the providers can be installed
  • nothing provides xserver-abi(videodrv-19) >= 0 needed by xorg-x11-drv-amdgpu-pro-1.1.99-348864.el7.i686
  • nothing provides xserver-abi(videodrv-19) >= 0 needed by xorg-x11-drv-amdgpu-pro-1.1.99-348864.el7.x86_64

iirc you have to downgrade xorg, can’t remember the specific process on fedora. maybe there’s a repo that has it prepackaged.

There’s a reason I said AMD gaming support for their older cards was bad. It’s because it is on most distros.

Maybe https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/AMDGPU can help you navigate all the BS you have to go through on that early of a GCN card.

and how is it for the nvidia cards like the gtx 1070 for example? Do you need to jump through hoops

Again, depends on the distro, but on CentOS (based on RHEL, fedora) it was as easy as activating the ELRepo, then a yum install kmod-nvidia and a reboot.

Looks like RPM fusion provides similar functionality on Fedora.

I’m on Ryzen with a fury so far, gonna switch that for Vega64 tomorrow or lets say very soon. I am running manjaro XFCE and so far everything works pretty good. Rocket League or CSGO is no problem. I am running a high refresh rate monitor and my system has no problem delivering those frames in titles like that on max settings. As it should be.

The old catalyst driver sucks pretty hard and the new driver won’t work with a 280. The new AMDGPU-PRO, the successor to the catalyst stuff, is a lot better. But the real deal is that the open AMDGPU driver is trading blows with the closed source proprietary driver. So if you have the budget for a new card, look out for deals on Furys maybe. They are not efficient enough for miners and still damn fast.

Couldnt this error be caused by the fact that Fedora is using Wayland display server instead of X11 / Xorg?
AMD open source gpu drivers should be build into the newer kernels.
But not sure about support for those older GCN cards.

I´m not really an expert on this, maybe @Eden has some idea´s.

hobbyists*

GPU-price-inflating-dusty-dickbutts*

Yeah, gotta use the x11 version of the distro if you want to use proprietary drivers.

1 Like

No, that’d be the actual miners.

Also, you’re spot on with the dusty part, dust control in large scale mining farms is a real concern.

If you own a large scale mining rig, you know how to coax massive equihash and cryptonight rates out of a fury, and get at least 36-38 MH/s out of one on ethereum.

can i just log into gnome with x??

and I’m guessing you don’t have to do this crap with the new cards

Not sure about fedora, manjaro is basically ready to go out of the box.

Huh. Didn’t know that

AMDGPU-PRO requires the x11 version of any distro defaulting to wayland, full stop.

Newer AMD cards just work somewhat better with the open source drivers, and polaris and newer are close enough not to matter except in OpenCL and professional applications.