Linux distro I should use

I’m looking for either a rolling distro or a distro that’s has more update hardware/program support. Many people have recommend me fedora. But that only has a gnome desktop and I dislike it.

I’ve experimented with mostly none rolling distro’s before and I’m currently using Linux mint.

PC specs: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/nQdfmq

Besides just installing a new DE you can just use spins.

https://spins.fedoraproject.org/

We cant really tell you what distro to use without knowing what you want. Do you want to just browse the web? Play games? Program? etc.

What do you want linux todo for you?

Also how comfortable are you with the inner workings of linux? Are you ok with having to poke around on the inside to fix things or do you want a more hands off approach

1 Like

Well it depends, how comfortable are you in the command line?

If you are I would recommend trying Arch, the amount of documentation in their wiki is shocking and knowing what precisely is in your os and knowing how it is configured makes problem solving much easier.

If you aren’t comfortable in command line then you could try Manjoro. As that does the initial setup for you.

I basically just do my homework on it, listen to music. General basic stuff. I’m not a hard core user. But I do experiment with software now and then

https://distrowatch.com/search.php?ostype=All&category=All&origin=All&basedon=All&notbasedon=None&desktop=All&architecture=All&package=All&rolling=Rolling&isosize=All&netinstall=All&language=All&defaultinit=All&status=Active#simple

You can specify other constraints in your search. Or just hit the “Random Distribution” button.

As for Fedora, I like the Fedora MATE spin so far.

That’s what I am downloading right now to test in a live image. I Generally use Linux mint with the mate desktop and I like it.

I basically just do my homework on it, listen to music. General basic stuff.

Not sure if this anwser comes in too late, but Ubuntu is pretty good distro for doing stuff like that. Super easy to install and you can also learn to use the terminal.

I’m looking for either a rolling distro or a distro that’s has more update hardware/program support.

Why? What’s your motivation?

Do you have a piece of hardware that you want to use that isn’t supported right now? Is there a particular bundle of software you want to use but can’t? Maybe you just like the idea of being on the bleeding (so much blood, I can’t even…) edge so that you can learn?

You already run Linux. What makes you want to run a different Linux?

Solus or openSUSE tumbleweed. Both are rolling and support non-gnome DEs while being somewhat lower maintenance than Arch.

Fedora is good but isn’t rolling.

Wants up to date and stable

Uses mint

Ugh you degenerate.

Investigate Void Linux. Thats all I can really say.

1 Like

Yeah, mint may be stable but it is definitely not up to date. Neither is RHEL though.

Indeed, Arch can be tricky sometimes #wink_wink

Hi,

I’m rather new here…
so I have basically the same question.
To give some hints on which district I would be more comfortable with here it is:

I have already 2 xenserver, one ubuntu server 18.04 does Virt with qemu on amd cpu but didn’t yet try the gpu virt ( didn’t succeed it on 16.04 with intel i7, i think the qemu was too old or maybe I wasn’t good enough), and one proxmox server nearly finish.
I don’t mind digging my way into config files but without any hint or specific steps it is somewhat impossible for me to find my way from times to times like for my virt problem on i7 6700k.

I’m quite used to go with fedora too since I’m using qubes os on my laptops, I have only one archlinux box at the moment. All my boxes are in cli. Just qubes os and sometimes ubuntu or in graphic mode.

And so my new setup would be on a i7 7700k with nvidia 970. It’s a desktop that I will use partly for a hackingtosh project, partly on Linux(different nvme/ssd so no worries there). I need to do some development with JetBrains python c++ the usual, browsing, and also qemu gpu virt for gaming under windows.

I’m restricting my choice with ubuntu, archlinux, fedora. So which should I go with? I really need some explicit doc on the one I choose to not have to find by myself after 2 weeks or months of digging around…
if you have any advice please do share.

I would suggest Antergos or Manjaro. Both are derivatives of Arch but, in my experience, are more stable and much more user friendly to install. You also get the benefit of the Arch Wiki being very relevant to both these distro’s.

And if you’re not into compiling stuff yourself, the AUR is superb to get all the software you need/want.

I haven’t used Fedora, but i’m certain you will be able to install another DE to use instead of GNOME.

2 Likes

You can download Fedora with different DEs. They’re called “spins”.

Here’s the KDE one:

https://spins.fedoraproject.org/kde/

BEST thing to do, in my opinion, is download the netinst version of the Fedora ISO. Once you configure your storage, timezone, network, hostname, etc, you can select Software Selection and choose your DE on the left column and packages on the right column.

Fedora Workstation is Gnome3, but they have KDE Plasma, XFCE, Cinnamon, LXQt, LXDE, MATE, Minimal, Server, and tons of other things. It’s like the Debian netinst but better.

https://download.fedoraproject.org/pub/fedora/linux/releases/28/Workstation/x86_64/iso/Fedora-Workstation-netinst-x86_64-28-1.1.iso

You do need a network connection to perform the install.

^ That’s what it looks like.

:metal::metal::metal:

Check it out.

6 Likes

You can go even further and make a netboot.xyz usb and install almost everything that’s been mentioned (except void, sorry @FaunCB).

https://netboot.xyz

2 Likes

But will I have any problem to set up my qemu virt with pci pass through for guy with one of those?

I notice that many of the test of wendell is I think fedora… And qubes use fedora too. I don’t have any preference for arch Linux nor fedora, I use both on regular basis just not for that, that’s why I m asking? Maybe one is more complete of the other? Like arch Linux because of the AUR PACKAGE like the Spotify stuff for example things like that and fedora mora secure?

And to continue my reasoning, maybe fedora is preferable for a host and arch Linux in one of the qemu vm? Or the opposite? Because as I said, I’ve broken my teeth in ubuntu 16.04 and pci pass through for qemu so I would like something that one of you guys are 100% sure that it doesn’t cause any problem

Its ok baybee, yera heathen.

1 Like

And sorry of it is a stupid question or logic.