Linux distro I should use

I think this is outside the scope of this topic since OP says nothing about virtualization requirements.

It’s not, but you should start your own topic with this question.

1 Like

Okey will do. Thanks for having pointed that to me.

2 Likes

Not much wrong with Mint really, depending on what you are using it for.
You could basiclly install newer version of program´s using flatpacks.
And if you need a newer hardware enablement kernel for newer hardware support,
you could easally install newer kernel using the build in kernel manager.
Kernel 4.17 kernel series are allready there if you need to have it.

Still if you look for a distribution you need to rely on for doing your work.
Then Mint is exally one of the better choices.

If you want something more bleeding edge, then Open Suse tumbleweed could be a good choice.
Fedora isnt a bad choice either, and you can also choose from several desktops.

If you want something more bleeding edge, you could try something based on Arch like Manjaro or Antergos.
Manjaro is one of the more popular and easy to use Arch based distributions.
But it can break at some point, and it probablly will.

Still no matter which distribution you choose to go with,
in the end they are all Linux and tend to do the same thing.
Its just that certain distributions arent for everyone.
Best way to find out which distro fits your needs best,
is just a matter of trying them out.

1 Like

Zypper also has an apt-get syntax. So if you know apt-get, you don’t have to know zyppers commands. Which is cool.

1 Like

Thats also pretty neat then :slight_smile:

Open Suse can be a littlebit hard to get used to.
But once you got it all going and once you are really familier with Yast,
then its a pretty nice distro.

But yeah it also really depends the use case scenario´s which differs from person to person.
In the end its all Linux and they are all tend to do the same thing in the end.

1 Like

I’m really liking the latest release of OpenSuSE. Besides the desktop part which is basically all the same for the mainstream Linux distros there are really cool things coming from that project like snapper - which is cool since they are the folks who are making most use of BTRFS in my opinion. This was also expanded in the transactional server install type which basically treats the system as a read only system with an overlayfs layer that basically makes your system immune to corruption and other human accidents. You can rollback any change to your system.

Being read only makes it a great choice for running linux on usb flash or sd cards.

I know I’m going to piss somebody off but I’d really recommend Manjaro. I used Arch for a year and a half or so and it was fantastic but when it came time to replace my computer I really didn’t want to face the hassle of having to rebuild Arch from the ground up. Don’t get me wrong–it is fun and worth it–but I have work to do on my computer.

So I gave Manjaro a try half a year ago and they get it right. It’s like the Mint of Arch. Codecs just work, Steam is preinstalled, you reap most of the benefits of Arch, and on the case of KDE the themes are pretty great out of the box.

It isn’t without it’s cons though. BTRFS was a pain to get working right with grub, the packages have to go through inspection so they can get old pretty fast leaving potential vulnerabilities (my biggest issue with Manjaro), and it defeats the purpose of the Arch Way so get prepared for Arch elitists to mock you for using something simple lol.

If you have the time I can’t recommend Arch more, but if you’re short on time and need something that just works then Manjaro is great. AntergOS is also an option too though I personally really didn’t care for it.

Now, another alternative is OpenSUSE. It’s my favorite distro to date. It makes configuring everything straight forward and simple. It’ll go on my laptop for college I like it so much. Only kicker is that it is cumbersome, and you will notice it. Automation is everywhere and you’ll question whether or not you really need a lot of the options it provides. But that’s where it shines. Again, it just works where other distros are unneceswrily complicated for the average user.

And then there’s Mint… I don’t really need to explain Mint do I?

I don’t think you’re going to piss anyone off, especially since the OP asked for a rolling release distro.

I think what spikes a lot of contention, no offense to anyone, is that the reasons for using a rolling release distribution such as Arch or Manjaro are a bit misguided.

The OP mentioned a lot of people have recommended Fedora, but he doesn’t like Gnome. This suggests to me that he’s not familiar with how most distributions work (you can install any DE on any OS with minimal effort [usually]).

We all have the different teams we play for, but I think for a stable experience with latest software releases, Fedora is a good compromise :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

Eh. You guys are a lot more kind than the people that frequent Reddit.

2 Likes

You should use whatever distro that does what you want. Which is more than likely most of them.

1 Like

Desktop environments are the easiest to swap out with most mainstream distros, features are usually the biggest driving factor for switching. Often I’m neutral on distros mainly due to the fact that I use a few specific ones for custom thin/hardened devices, notebook friendly then desktop/server leaning distros.

In my opinion if you want to “try/test” another distro it’ll be a smart idea to use a “Live Disc” to check if the system doesn’t have any compatibility woes than blindly installing–rolling releases tend to be rolling the dice if you might own newer/less common hardware. In my experience Arch has had a better track record in terms of working with any hardware, other distros such as Fedora & non-LTS Ubuntu have managed to launch a new version with sloppy QA(broken drivers) just to meet a deadline–Fedora learned from their mistakes by opting to delay releases than pulling the Ubuntu “must release by x day of the year”.

If you plan to rely upon gaming via Steam, Valve has a very “short list” of distros with install/setup instructions. In the old days I usually got by with WINE but your mileage still varies if you might rely upon Windows leaning software. Work wise I usually keep two notebooks on my desk just to avoid dual-booting or excessively relying upon a VM.

I left /r/linux, /r/linuxmasterrace, and /r/linuxadmin after contributing for serveral years because an overwhelming majority of the members and moderators of those sections are gatekeepers, fanboys, and cretins perpetuating myths and lies as technical advice or best practices. For the most part, the same can be said about /r/sysadmin.

They don’t contribute to free and/or open source software. They do nothing to advocate for Linux or technology, only serve to put others down.

I read once someone said “The ‘community’ you speak of is really just your whiny subsection that makes no contribution.”

That summarizes my experience with the above forums. I don’t frequent reddit, IRC, and a handful of other message boards, chat rooms, and forums because they don’t benefit the culture. So it goes :man_shrugging:

From my understanding, @SgtAwesomesauce and other awesome members are also exiles from the Reddit subs. I could be misremembering though.

1 Like

@MisteryAngel @ulzeraj @Zippy_Parmesian
If any of you have OpenSuse installed can you try to extract audio from youtube video using youtube-dl? I can’t get it to work.

Also why is it that I can paste into terminal using only the left SHIFT but not the right SHIFT? It works is Fedora but on in Opensuse. This annoys me a lot.

I wouldn’t call myself a reddit exile so much as someone who lost interest in it when the site started getting extremely political. (that said, people on reddit did actively attempt to push me away)

I contributed (under a different pseudonym, mind you) for a long time on Reddit and had many good discussions, but Reddit, by design, encourages a hive mind type of behavior and is also designed to encourage confirmation bias. That means that contrarian views (both political and technical) are often ignored because people just downvote them. Here, you only get your post hidden or removed if it violates rules or is overtly offensive.

This really sums it up well for me. I don’t feel that any of them give back and that’s really where my qualms come in. I try to give back to Linux the best that I can. I submit bug reports, I’m starting to look into contributing code to BTRFS, since I’m fascinated by it as a software project, and I’d like to help fix some problems with it. That said, I’m not a good programmer, I’m not very well versed in open source flow, but I really want more people to get into it.

Sysadmin is more professional, but a cost of that is that it feels like only proprietary solutions are valid on that sub, at least when I used to visit.

1 Like