Linus Torvalds "Very Concerned" About Microsoft "Taking Over Linux"

All mainstream gaming will be streamed in a couple of years, so it won’t matter what you’re playing on. Anything with a screen and an internet connection will work.

1 Like

I want to play my Call of DOOTY on the crapper. and my ROONscape in my shower.

nah… they wouldn’t… nervous laugh

Powershell™

I kinda like gnome… Debian’s gnome actually… guess I’m a weirdo

We’ll be remembering how Fuchsia destroyed Windows Core.

2 Likes

I’m just trolling about gnome. I like it better than some options on a laptop. Their whole gesture thing starts to make a lot of sense when you pair it with a touchpad or touch screen. I prefer literally anything else when using a mouse though.

1 Like

I like gnome just fine, with dash to panel and arc menu it functions just like windows 10, which is the desktop paradigm I prefer. That doesn’t make it comparable to windows for overall ease of use, though. Even something as simple as configuring Logitech mouse buttons requires following a FAQ and the command-line.

1 Like

Linus is good at what he does. Predicting the inevitable is not his forte. He seems like a very trusting guy that got greased over by some smooth talking Microsoft employees.

I chuckled

You really think so? How would MS destroy something open source with so many adepts? (that’s a real question, I don’t know)

Microsoft won’t destroy Linux. Google can though.

Linux can destroy Linux.

Ever been to r/linux or some of the various distro forums? Or hell, this forum sometimes?

2 Likes

Linux users destroy Linux more than any one company can.

2 Likes

I wonder how Fuchsia is going to be

This is the same guy that blew up on Nvidia at a conference in 2013, prevented NSA backdoors into his kernel, and regularly calls people out for their shit code, despite no longer being a programmer.

But you’re right, Microsoft got em.

1 Like

All of those things Microsoft already does. So you’re saying he lacks consistency?

No he was saying that you lack perception of the reality.

(I mean that in a respectful way)

I’m saying he’s willing to spare the doom and gloom and stick to his mantra:

Talk is cheap; Show me the code

He’s seen Microsoft developers using and contributing to Linux and approves of their contributions. No conspiracy, no plot, no master plan… It just is.

Even Stallman thinks Microsoft is serious about their open source efforts.

“I think some Microsoft executives are seriously interested in the ethical issues surrounding software. They may also be interested in carrying out some of the specific suggestions/requests I presented.”

– Richard Stallman

Which isn’t to say he thinks they’re good; open source is not Free Software, but open source is much better than proprietary software, and Microsoft has made serious changes.

The biggest threats to Linux at this point don’t come from Microsoft, but from Linux developers themselves and the organizations that foster them.

1 Like